Travel

traveling w/ birth certificate instead of passport question

My passport expired and I forgot to renew - we're leaving for St. Croix on July 18. I need to bring a certified copy of my birth certificate to re-enter the country. 

I changed my name when we got married, so obviously the name on my license doesn't match the name on my birth certificate. Do I also need to bring a copy of our marriage license?

Sorry for the dumb question - passport renewal is going to be done asap so I don't have to mess with this again! :) 

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: traveling w/ birth certificate instead of passport question

• I would check tsa.gov website. I'm not so sure you can do that even with a certified copy of your birth certificate and marriage certificate. I was under the impression that you had to have a passport for international travel ( I could be wrong though), license for domestic and name on plane ticket and ID must match. I know for international and even domestic flights ID is checked numerous times before even bording the plane.

Worst case, you can pay a ton of money and try to get an expidited passport. My husbands co worker had to do that but it cost a couple hundred dollars. He did have it in a week though. Either way it's going to be a real PITA.

Our Website

Kristi and Kerry June 21,2008

Daisypath Next Aniversary Ticker
  • I would pay the fee and get a passport.
    "Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does." ~William James My Blog
  • image monkeygirl18:

I would check tsa.gov website. I'm not so sure you can do that even with a certified copy of your birth certificate and marriage certificate. I was under the impression that you had to have a passport for international travel. I know for international and even domestic flights ID is checked numerous times before even bording the plane.

Worst case, you can pay a ton of money and try to get an expidited passport. My husbands co worker had to do that but it cost a couple hundred dollars. He did have it in a week though. Either way it's going to be a real PITA.

It's a US Territory, so not international travel. We were picking from the US Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, or Hawaii. ;) 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I would just take a copy of your marriage license to make sure.

It's not international travel, so I'm sure if they say a government issued ID and birth certificate are fine, it probably is. I'm sure several people are in the same boat as you with not all documents matching. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • image sjh722:
    image monkeygirl18:

I would check tsa.gov website. I'm not so sure you can do that even with a certified copy of your birth certificate and marriage certificate. I was under the impression that you had to have a passport for international travel. I know for international and even domestic flights ID is checked numerous times before even bording the plane.

It's a US Territory, so not international travel. We were picking from the US Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, or Hawaii. ;) 

then if it's not international is it considered domestic. If it is then you wouldn't need a passport just your drivers license. Just make sure that the name on your ID is the same as your plane ticket.

Our Website

• image monkeygirl18:

then if it's not international is it considered domestic. If it is then you wouldn't need a passport just your drivers license. Just make sure that the name on your ID is the same as your plane ticket.<p>

There was a special disclaimer when I bought tickets to bring a certified copy of your birth certificate for re-entry. I agree, though, if it's domestic you shouldn't need it! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • image sjh722:
    image monkeygirl18:

then if it's not international is it considered domestic. If it is then you wouldn't need a passport just your drivers license. Just make sure that the name on your ID is the same as your plane ticket.<p>

There was a special disclaimer when I bought tickets to bring a certified copy of your birth certificate for re-entry. I agree, though, if it's domestic you shouldn't need it! 

Exactly! That is kinda strange though. I'd say yeah, bring the marriage license just in case. Is that certified too? Either way you may still get hassled ( I hope not ) or you might find out that it's easy peasy to come back into the states ( I hope so ).

Our Website

• image marshmallowevening:
    I would pay the fee and get a passport.

Just to reiterate what the OP said... "passport renewal is going to be done asap so I don't have to mess with this again! :)She leaves in 11 days so there's not enough time to receive it before her trip even if she expedited it.

OP, I don't have any advice but good luck and enjoy your trip!  My sister and her H went to St. Croix on their honeymoon and their pics are gorgeous!

• I live in the VI. You will be fine.  You will go through Customs/immigrations on your way home, but your driver's license is normally okay.  BC is better, passport is best.   
  • image KDuv612:

image marshmallowevening:
    I would pay the fee and get a passport.

Just to reiterate what the OP said... "passport renewal is going to be done asap so I don't have to mess with this again! :)She leaves in 11 days so there's not enough time to receive it before her trip even if she expedited it.

OP, I don't have any advice but good luck and enjoy your trip!  My sister and her H went to St. Croix on their honeymoon and their pics are gorgeous!

You can get a new passport in a few hours if you make an appointment at a passport office. In this case it is unnecessary,but I don't want people to think it is impossible.

As long as you have travel booked in the next two weeks you can get an appointment, drop off your paperwork in the morning and have a new/renewed/extra pages book by mid afternoon. I've done it three times.

"We tend to be patronizing about the poor in a very specific sense, which is that we tend to think,
  • honestly-i'd probably just bring all of them-passport, marriage license (official copy), birth cert and drivers license
    Friday, December 28 2012. The day I had emergency appendix surgery in Mexico and quit smoking. Proof that everything has a good side!! DH and I are happily child-free!! No due date or toddler tickers here!! my read shelf:
    Alison's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)