What's Cooking?

How much jam from a flat of strawberries?

I've done some Googling and can't seem to find the answer. I'm bad at math LOL. I'm getting two flats of strawberries today and I'm trying to decide what recipes I want to use for jam. I can't seem to find a flat to cup conversion.

Re: How much jam from a flat of strawberries?

• This is what I'm thinking-you get about 8 quarts of strawberries in a flat?  I can make approximately 6 half pints or 3 pints of jam per quart of strawberries, so that would give you 48 half pints or 24 pints of strawberry jam per flat.  Hope that helps you!

• wow, that's a lot of jam! I might experiment with dehydrating and fruit leathers.
  • kmmssgkmmssg
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Comments Combo Breaker

DH and DS think the world will end without strawberry freezer jam.  We have been out since January and the jar of storebought jam from then is only about 1/3 gone.  They were desparate.

I got 2 flats on Sunday and should have only gotten 1.  I got 27 half pints from a flat.  We have made pies, shortcake, and whatever else with the rest.  We are so lucky to have such fantastic berries here in MI!  Good luck. 

• image kmmssg:

DH and DS think the world will end without strawberry freezer jam.  We have been out since January and the jar of storebought jam from then is only about 1/3 gone.  They were desparate.

I got 2 flats on Sunday and should have only gotten 1.  I got 27 half pints from a flat.  We have made pies, shortcake, and whatever else with the rest.  We are so lucky to have such fantastic berries here in MI!  Good luck. 

Yes, we totally are! Our CSA coordinates bulk fruit orders, so it's easy for me to go a bit overboard. They find organic farmers willing to deliver to the CSA pickup location and this week it's strawberries. We just tell them how many we want and pay on pickup. At least with strawberries you can just wash and freeze. Last year I bought a huge box of blueberries and we just finished the frozen ones last week. DH uses them in his smoothies.

• I just got 2 flats (16 quarts) this past weekend. It was strawberry overload!!!   I ended up making canned jam - which only used 2 quarts of the berries.  It made 8 half pint jars - plus a little extra that I just put in the fridge.   I ended up cleaning and freezing at least 5 quarts.  I made a few other things - and finally I called my mom for relief and she took 4 quarts off my hands.   Good luck - I could have used another day off work to get through all those berries!

[My Food blog]

Follow Me on Pinterest

TTC #1 since 6/09
    Dx: PCOS and MFI
    3 IUIs, 4 IVFs = BFFN
    IVF#5=?
    P/SAIFW
  • I got exactly 8 half-pints from two quarts of berries for this jam recipe.  The three pounds I started with yielded about 8 cups of hulled and sliced berries.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I got 3 flats last week. I made 1 quart strawberry pie filling, 2 quarts strawberry rhubarb pie filling, strawberry lemon marmalade, 8 half pints strawberry BBQ sauce, pectin free strawberry preserves 6 half pints, strawberry syrup 13 half pints, strawberry key lime jam 12 half pints, strawberries in red wine 4 pints, strawberries in white wine 2 pints, chocolate strawberry sauce 30 half pints, chocolate mint strawberry sauce 6 half pints. I also had 2 gallon size bags frozen and about 1 gallon fresh. Yeah, it was a lot of strawberries but well worth it.
  • image spiritenergy:
    I got 3 flats last week. I made 1 quart strawberry pie filling, 2 quarts strawberry rhubarb pie filling, strawberry lemon marmalade, 8 half pints strawberry BBQ sauce, pectin free strawberry preserves 6 half pints, strawberry syrup 13 half pints, strawberry key lime jam 12 half pints, strawberries in red wine 4 pints, strawberries in white wine 2 pints, chocolate strawberry sauce 30 half pints, chocolate mint strawberry sauce 6 half pints. I also had 2 gallon size bags frozen and about 1 gallon fresh. Yeah, it was a lot of strawberries but well worth it.

that sounds awesome.