Dallas-Fort Worth Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Staycation ideas

Ben and I will be on vacation the week of July 4.  This will be the first time in 10 years I haven't actually went out of town on this holiday save for the year I got married.  Since I won't be making take-home candy containers, I need some ideas.  What are some things he and I or him/me/my daughter can do that are fun and not too expensive?  I might could get him to agree to an overnight somewhere cheap.

So far I have the Dallas Aquarium and sneaking in to his old condo to grill out and go swimming.

Re: Staycation ideas

• If you're willing to drive Possum Kingdom lake has a great fourth of July celebration at the camp I worked at. The celebration is an all day event and there are food vendors, camp activities, and plenty to do with a fantastic firework show that evening.
  • Stephie,

Bill and I did a short stay-cation at the Hyatt at the airport (not the Grand Hyatt, but the first one).  Bill went to Priceline, entered in $50 a night and 4 stars and at the airport I think (I'll check with him later on what his parameters really were).  The hotel is pretty empty on the weekends, they have a nice hotel, you can hang out in Southlake, Grapevine, etc.  

We also got the Le Meridien at the Galleria for like $60 right before Labor Day and you can just walk across the street there.  The Rough Riders ballpark is right up the toll road (if they're in town).

I do know that the Rangers are in town that day--my dad is going to see them play.  You can always go to Arlington for your mini vacay.  

• Oh a Ranger game is a good idea! I will add that to the list.  I forgot we are already staying at the Omni on July 2 for our dating anniversary.  I am just having a hard time thinking of things to fill up that week.  I thought about Great Wolf Lodge but that might be too steep.
  • image stephiehall:
    Oh a Ranger game is a good idea! I will add that to the list.  I forgot we are already staying at the Omni on July 2 for our dating anniversary.  I am just having a hard time thinking of things to fill up that week.  I thought about Great Wolf Lodge but that might be too steep.

I wasn't that impressed.  If you're in the inside part of their water stuff, the chlorine is very heavy and it burned my eyes just by being in there.  Plus, all of the public parts of the building are set at 82 degrees.  It was humid in there and a bit miserable.  

Bill swears by Priceline now though.  He likes to see how low he can get the hotels to go.  

• The Commissary has Lobster Bakes for $35 on Sunday's.  You have to make reservations.  I think we're going to try it later in July. 

Taste of Dallas is July 8-10 if you have the whole week off.  You can get $5 at Albertsons.

There's always the Nasher if you haven't been. 

Quite a few places are doing movies outside: The Green at Shops on Park, Belmont, and I can't remember the rest.

• image balfie:

The Commissary has Lobster Bakes for $35 on Sunday's.  You have to make reservations.  I think we're going to try it later in July. 

Taste of Dallas is July 8-10 if you have the whole week off.  You can get $5 at Albertsons.

There's always the Nasher if you haven't been. 

Quite a few places are doing movies outside: The Green at Shops on Park, Belmont, and I can't remember the rest.

Oh great!  I've never been to this.  I think we might go to the Ranger game on July 4, go to the acquarium and maybe a water park and a movie.  Ben wants to have some downtime so I guess that's enough!

• What about the Renaissance Fair? 
  • image shortgirltx:

I've never been to this place but Living Social has a deal on Bahama Beach Waterpark: http://livingsocial.com/deals/36596-four-general-admission-tickets?msdc_id=11&ref=DALDeal062411_11_1694email

Oh wow thanks!  :)

• msealemseale member
    Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Love Its Name Dropper
    KaboomTown in Addison is always fun.  All the restaurants extend their patios into the parking lot, so you can sit, eat and drink, and watch the show.  The fireworks show is always amazing!  I think it is July 3rd this year.
    Our last sunset in Hawaii... Honeymoon 2010
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BabyFruit Ticker

Michelle & Michael
    Married - August '10
    TTC - Since September 2011
    IUI - 10/29/2014, BFP! EDD: 7/22/2015