Dallas-Fort Worth Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Gated Communities?

Hi there!

Quick question for everyone on what "the norm" is for DFW.

Apparently my Dad has been googling things (never a good sign....) and is convinced that DH & I need to live in a gated community in DFW. He said that this is very common and most neighborhoods are gated.

Is this true?!!? I've never heard of gated communities for regular-old neighborhoods. There are a few of them in the very, very wealthy parts of town here in LA - but still pretty rare. 

We've been looking online at homes in Uptown, Lakewood area and most of them don't look like gated. Not sure if I need to change our search requirements.

Love that my Dad is still worried about me at 32, but now he's got me nervous that I'm looking in unsafe areas!!

Thanks in advance for your advice Smile

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Gated Communities?

• The only communities that I know of that are gated are the wealthier ones.  Most don't have a gate and they are still perfectly safe.  It all depends on the area that you are looking in.

Anniversary 
    ~TTC Buddies with akcrrr and amandaf6383~
    ~Knottie/Nestie Besties with *ecinereb* - Congratulations!~
    TTC since June 2011 dx: PCOS
    Clomid+IUI: Cancelled b/c didn't respond (June 2012)
    Femara+Trigger+IUI #1: BFN :-( (July 2013)
    Natural Cycle (8/7/13)- BFP!  Beta #1 (9/10/13): 509 Progesterone: 18.64  Beta #2 (9/12/13): 1118
    Baby N born 5/9/14
  • Hmmm there are a few gated communities here but not many. The Turtle Creek/Highland Park/University Park are known for being very wealthy and they aren't gated.
  • image Shay102007:
    Hmmm there are a few gated communities here but not many. The Turtle Creek/Highland Park/University Park are known for being very wealthy and they aren't gated.

This is what I suspected. And hoped you would say. I already told my Dad he is "misinformed", so I was praying that I wouldn't have to go back and say that he's right Wink

I have no idea where he got that idea, but I feel much better now.

FTR: we're looking in Uptown, Lakewood, M Streets (kind of...). And also Grapevine. 

• There are a lot of gated communities depending on where your looking, but I would definitely not call it the norm at all.   You would probably be spending at least $300+ in most of those areas...usually more.

If he is thinking safety, I can offer personal experience that I lived in a nice gated apartment complex and was robbed.   Awesome, huh?

• Even if you do have a gated community, how "gated" are they actually?  No telling who your neighbors give the code out to plus the take out guys will need it to get in, etc.
  • image Tiffany618:

There are a lot of gated communities depending on where your looking, but I would definitely not call it the norm at all.   You would probably be spending at least $300+ in most of those areas...usually more.

If he is thinking safety, I can offer personal experience that I lived in a nice gated apartment complex and was robbed.   Awesome, huh?

Uhhh. Yeah. No. Don't think we'll be spending that much - no gate for us!! Yay! 

CRAPPY on the apartment robbery - and it gives me the creeps. 

DH travels a lot, so I think my Dad more wants to make sure I'm following other people's leads who know the neighborhoods as far as safety and what is normal....

• image shortgirltx:
    Even if you do have a gated community, how "gated" are they actually?  No telling who your neighbors give the code out to plus the take out guys will need it to get in, etc.

Great point. It can almost be MORE dangerous because it can give a false sense of security...

Thanks everyone for the advice!!!!

• I am from Grapevine, and still live there now.  I don't think that there is a single gated community in Grapevine... other than apartment complexes.

I've seen some in Southlake and Colleyville, but they are the million-dollar homes in those.  And even those communities are few and far between.

• I live in the 'burbs and there are several gated communities within driving distance.  But like PP said the houses in the communities are high dollar.
  • image mnkate:

Hi there!

Quick question for everyone on what "the norm" is for DFW.

Apparently my Dad has been googling things (never a good sign....) and is convinced that DH & I need to live in a gated community in DFW. He said that this is very common and most neighborhoods are gated.

Is this true?!!? I've never heard of gated communities for regular-old neighborhoods. There are a few of them in the very, very wealthy parts of town here in LA - but still pretty rare. 

We've been looking online at homes in Uptown, Lakewood area and most of them don't look like gated. Not sure if I need to change our search requirements.

Love that my Dad is still worried about me at 32, but now he's got me nervous that I'm looking in unsafe areas!!

Thanks in advance for your advice Smile

In Lakewood, if anything is gated, it's a private home.  And even then you're talking about the newer McMansions (they tore down the old house and built a new one) and not some of the older homes.  In Uptown, the apartment complexes/townhouses might be gated but it's just that little area.  Dallas is just like every other big city--you have to be aware of your surroundings, etc.  

• There are a few gated communities in Plano and Frisco area, some have a guard as well. I personally find  the manned gated communities a pain in the .... Whenever we go to see our relative who lives in one, we have have to wait for a few minutes for them to call their house, they give the ok, the guard writes the license plate, ... and they get super suspicious because we have the same last name as DH's cousin!!! Well duh their dads are brothers, we have to explain how we have the same last name to some of them! Such a pain to go have dinner at their house!!!
  • Thank you everyone for your responses.

I realize that it sounded like a silly question, but different parts of the country live differently....so I thought that I would ask. Heaven forbid my Dad is right at some point and I don't listen to him.

TX-Bride - totally agree. It sounds like a pain, and so I'm relieved that I don't have to add it to my housing requirement list!

kate

• I don'g what your budget is, but you can find plenty of nice neighborhoods, with great ISDs that are not gated but the zip code is as prestigious if not more.

Good luck home shopping! We have been in the Plano area for 9 months and just started looking, and we are no where near deciding which city, and which neighborhood we want to seriously consider. The choices are really over whelming at times.

• image mnkate:

Thank you everyone for your responses.

I realize that it sounded like a silly question, but different parts of the country live differently....so I thought that I would ask. Heaven forbid my Dad is right at some point and I don't listen to him.

TX-Bride - totally agree. It sounds like a pain, and so I'm relieved that I don't have to add it to my housing requirement list!

kate

My dad was the same way.  Every once and a while, they're right.  Big Smile

• image shortgirltx:
    Even if you do have a gated community, how "gated" are they actually?  No telling who your neighbors give the code out to plus the take out guys will need it to get in, etc.

I completely agree. 

I think they're just like gated apartment complexes. They give off the perception of being more secure, but in reality, they're not.

If someone really wants to get in, all they have to do is follow behind someone who has a code. Real safe. 

• image Summerof09:

image shortgirltx:

I completely agree. 

I think they're just like gated apartment complexes. They give off the perception of being more secure, but in reality, they're not.

If someone really wants to get in, all they have to do is follow behind someone who has a code. Real safe. 

Agreed.  I know someone already brought up University Park as being not gated, and the last I knew they literally have a 0% crime rate in U.P.  Gates are all about perception and for the reasons PP just pointed out, they are in no way safer.  Most of the time it seems like in the apartment complexes the gate is broken anyway... Confused

You'll be just fine in an ungated neighborhood and I don't think it was a silly question at all.  I would just do your research on crime rates, schools, etc. if you aren't familiar with the areas and then go from there. :)