Decorating & Renovating

Kitchen: faux brick, parquet floors, black appliances

We're moving into a new (to us) house and we will be inheriting an eyesore of a kitchen. I've been looking at inspiration pics for weeks now and am having trouble figuring out a color scheme/solution that will work well in this space.

First--there is faux brick covering a couple of the walls and backsplash. We absolutely hate it, but are not ready to invest in getting it all removed and having to replace/repair all the drywall. So, our short-term solution will be to paint over it. But we need a color!

Second--I don't think I am a fan of the color of the cabinets. Thinking of painting/staining those as well. Would like to have them be a neutral color of some sort--white, for instance--but if we paint them white, what color do we paint the walls?

Third--The parquet wood floors and the black appliances. The appliances are new and nice, so we have no desire to replace them, even though black wouldn't have been our first choice for color. But we feel like the wood floors and black appliances further complicate the color scheme decisions.

Countertops are a neutral beigey color. That table is not ours, it is the sellers. We will be ripping off that country shelf from top of the slider door, and we like white trim instead of the natural color.

Any ideas how to tie it all together? If we have a specific "taste," I'd say it's more modern, but obviously this kitchen is more traditional looking, so we'll have to work with what we've got. So far, I'm leaning on going light in the kitchen to keep things as open looking as possible and airy. Thoughts?

Picture:

I don't have a pic yet of the other angle, but next to the fridge on the right, there are some more cabinets and counter space, and the stove.

Re: Kitchen: faux brick, parquet floors, black appliances

• The black appliances and wood floors are neutrals.  They might not be your choice, but they're completely workable.  Pretend like they're not there. 

Paint the cabinets and the bulkheads and the brick on the island all white to make it look like the cabinets go further than they do - you want to trick the eye.

Paint the walls whatever color on this earth you want.   If you want white to continue the light and airy feel, go for it.  A pale blue, green, lavender, gray, or yellow would all work and also keep things light.

• OK, we were actually considering a blueish gray of some sort, but I've been thrown off by the beigey countertops. White cabinets, beige countertops, gray walls? That's what I cannot picture coming together. But you think it would work?
  • image heatherkj:
    OK, we were actually considering a blueish gray of some sort, but I've been thrown off by the beigey countertops. White cabinets, beige countertops, gray walls? That's what I cannot picture coming together. But you think it would work?

If the undertones are right, I think it could. 

I'd do the walls last though.  Paint the cabinets and prime the brick so you have a completely blank slate to accurately consider colors in.

• Yikes! That brick covering is something else! I think you're on the right track with your ideas so far. Just painting the cabinets will make a world of difference. Good luck and be sure to post your afters!
    Anniversary
  • My honest opinion... 

Paint the cabinets and the soffit dark, and paint the brick white. I think it will go well with the modern look you are going for and it will tie in with the black appliances. The white trim and some new hardware will make a world of difference. 

The counter is the only thing. Is there any way you can find a bit of money to replace it, even if it's just with inexpensive formica in a more coordinating color?  

Cabinets something like this: image 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Either way, I would definitely bring the cabinet color up to the soffit and add some sort of crown molding like this: 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Here's what I would do:

Paint the brick offwhite. Paint the walls green/gray. Replace the countertop, for now leave the cabinets. Perhaps replace the floor, but if not leave that too:

Like this:

• What's the white thing that goes all along the tops of the cabinets? If it's removable, I'd get rid of it. Then, I like your suggestion of painting the brick gray. Other than that, the cabinets look pretty good to me. You could always replace the knobs for a more updated look.
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image ericanandy:

Here's what I would do:

Paint the brick offwhite. Paint the walls green/gray. Replace the countertop, for now leave the cabinets. Perhaps replace the floor, but if not leave that too:

Like this:

That's a good look.  The cabinets themselves aren't terrible and you may not have to paint them.  Prime the brick so you can look at the cabinets without seeing that awful brick.

So the moral here: prime the brick asap so you can see things.

• I think white for the cabinets and soffit would make sense, and you could still do a gray on the walls, but maybe something a little more in the greige or green-gray family rather than a cool blue-gray so it coordinates better with the countertops?

• image moonlight:

Either way, I would definitely bring the cabinet color up to the soffit and add some sort of crown molding like this: 

I think this is a great idea.

I think that white cabinets, gray walls and the beige/whatever counter could work.  It would just take finding the right gray, and there certainly are enough of them to chose from.  I would definitely do the cabinets first and prime the faux brick, to give you a blank slate before choosing colors.

• Thanks, all! We will start by priming the brick (there is also horrid floral wallpaper on the other kitchen walls that we'll remove ASAP) and go from there.

I appreciate the ideas. I'm sure I'll be back once we officially get started... but that won't be until August or so. :) 

• I think, if you're willing to put in the work, you could achieve a look similar to this:

So, white paint for brick/cabinets, a greyish wash on the parket floors (if you're willing), and in your case, black accents to bring in the appliances. Black and that aqua/green would work well together.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Eleanor Noelle - 18/05/12 Claire Elisabeth - 16/-5/10