Politics & Current Events

Is Holy Cow a non-pc expression?

I have no idea where the expression came from, it's something that's been around my whole life. After saying it today, I suddenly wondered if it was not really that politically correct? Would "holy cow!" be offensive to Hindus in the way "that's so gay!" might be offensive to homosexuals?  

Re: Is Holy Cow a non-pc expression?

• Lol, I never thought of it this way. but i guarantee you will not make any friends by asking a homosexual this question.

also, the word homosexual is squicky

• If holy cow is offensive, I'm quitting life.
    So it goes.
  • What, homosexual is offensive now?  I was trying to be inclusive of lesbians by not just saying gay. Holy Cow. ; ) I cannot keep up. 
  • image Emmybean:
    If holy cow is offensive, I'm quitting life.

lol. ditto. What a stretch.

This reminds me of when we were in Mexico and DH slammed on his brakes in the middle of the road...I was looking down and didn't know what was going on and yelled "Holy Cow!"  Lo and behold,it was cow in the middle of the road!  

• image SparrowSong:
    What, homosexual is offensive now?  I was trying to be inclusive of lesbians by not just saying gay. Holy Cow. ; ) I cannot keep up. 

just a guess but it might have had something to do with the whole NO HOMO thing. Holy cow. 

and omg at shadow's cow in the road. 

This thread wins for lols today

• I bet if you dig deep enough, every phrase has some non-PC history behind it.
  • Honestly, I don't know if it has anything to do with Hinduism at all. People insert all kinds of words after "Holy...." Maybe it has just as much meaning as saying, "Holy Jellybeans!" That's why I ask. 
  • I thought Bart Simpson invented Holy Cow
    Green Cleaning Recipes
    ~Be a Good Wife ~ Updated 3.30.12 - Smell Like A Dirty Hippy
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
  • image majorwife:
    I thought Bart Simpson invented Holy Cow

I'm so disappointed in you.  The phrase is, "Don't have a cow, man!"

A big old middle finger to you, stupid Nest.
  • image SparrowSong:
    What, homosexual is offensive now?  I was trying to be inclusive of lesbians by not just saying gay. Holy Cow. ; ) I cannot keep up. 

Interesting. I know lots of lesbians who refer to themselves as gay, I never would have pegged it as male-only.

As for the H word, I think it comes off squicky because the only people who use it are the ones who are opposed to it. Gay sounds friendlier, and homosexual tends to have a weird, judging, icky vibe to it.

Amirite? 

~ The Nestie formally known as MrsBrittany ~
  • image HiddenAgenda:

image SparrowSong:

Interesting. I know lots of lesbians who refer to themselves as gay, I never would have pegged it as male-only.

As for the H word, I think it comes off squicky because the only people who use it are the ones who are opposed to it. Gay sounds friendlier, and homosexual tends to have a weird, judging, icky vibe to it.

Amirite? 

No, I think you're wrong.

• image pixy_stix:

image majorwife:

I wasn't allowed to watch it as a kid. Do I get a pass?
    Green Cleaning Recipes
    ~Be a Good Wife ~ Updated 3.30.12 - Smell Like A Dirty Hippy
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
  • image pixy_stix:
    image HiddenAgenda:

image SparrowSong:

Amirite? 

No, I think you're wrong.

Actually, I think HA is right.  I once asked this question because I was surprised that homosexual was offensive to gays.  TwoTrue responded and IIRC, that is basically how she explained it. 

• As for Holy Cow?  I guess Phil Rizzuto was the most offensive man on earth.  Tongue Tied
  • I think homosexual sounds clinical. So do heterosexual and homosapien, though.

I figured "holy cow" was a nod to the Hindus, so to speak. Since there's not really a negative connotation with the phrase like you have with "what a gyp", I'm not sure I'd classify it as offensive.

Since we're talking about holy things, is it holy moly or holy mole' (comma to the top!)? I don't know what moly is, buy mole (the sauce) should be classified as a deity. It is delicious.

Team Basement Cat image Knitting&Kitties
  • image majorwife:
    image pixy_stix:
    image majorwife:

The show's been on for more than 20 years! No pass!

Team Basement Cat image Knitting&Kitties
  • image meshaliu:
    image majorwife:
    image pixy_stix:
    image majorwife:

The show's been on for more than 20 years! No pass!

::high fives mesh::