Austin Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Anyone floated the Gaudalupe recently?

What is the water level like, is it flowing well, etc? We're planning on floating Saturday. A few friends are coming down from Dallas so I was just wondering if it was worth the trip.

Re: Anyone floated the Gaudalupe recently?

• I live in New Braunfels. Unfortunately, most of the Guadalupe is closed to tubing. The water level is too low. If you plan on tubing, I would recommend the Comal River. We are going on Wednesday. It is also low (my bottom has bruises from last week) but definitely still floatable! :)
  • Thanks. I've never floated the Comal. Aren't the rules (alcohol-related) different from the Gaudalupe?
  • Here are the rules for the river!! :)

No glass No foam containers No volume drinking devices No containers under 5 fluid oz. Noise devices may not be audible beyond 50 ft. No jumping from bridges, dams, and trees No littering Maximum permitted cooler size is 16 qt. Coolers must have a locking mechanism on the lid (zipper, Velcro, latch, cord) One cooler per person Vessels on the rivers may not be over 18 ft in length Life jackets are recommended for children under eight and weak swimmers

Even when the Guadalupe is open, I prefer the Comal River! I love the tube shoot and the whole experience! :)

My favorite tubing outfitter for the Comal River is Landa Falls. I believe it is the longest tube on the Comal River. Landa Falls is located just inside the entrance to Landa Park. If you need directions or have any questions, feel free to email me at [email protected]

Smiles, Kimberly

• Kimberly, thanks so much for the info. I'm going to email you a few more questions.
  • Just went to the Landa Falls website. Looks like fun!

Questions about what to rent -- do you get the tube with bottom?  What about the cooler?  Do people usually stay the whole day, and so should bring lunch and drinks?  Do you leave your lunch in the car or stick it in the cooler (if you get a cooler tube)?   Basically, how does it work logistically?

• image PinkHighlighter:

Just went to the Landa Falls website. Looks like fun!

Questions about what to rent -- do you get the tube with bottom?  What about the cooler?  Do people usually stay the whole day, and so should bring lunch and drinks?  Do you leave your lunch in the car or stick it in the cooler (if you get a cooler tube)?   Basically, how does it work logistically?

When we float, I always float in a bottomless tube and then get one with a bottom for the cooler.  Depending on how many people you are going with, if you just take a smallish softside cooler, you can just keep it in your lap.

We usually eat a late breakfast and try to hit the river by about 11:00.  The Comal is roughly a 2 hr float and we usually do it twice.  Then grab some food on the way home.  Love to stop at Herberts in San Marcos (hole in the wall Mexican food).  You could always just pack some sandwiches in your cooler as well if you want to float or stay longer. 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I tubed again today. :) Today, it took us about 3 and a half hours from Landa Park to the Last Public Exit. It was definitely very low. We even paddled some....ugh!

On the second tube shoot, make sure to lift your behind. That big ol' rock at the bottom is a killer! It is really low right there!

We don't rent tubes (my folks have a vacation home right by the last public exit so we own our tubes) so I am no help there. At Walmart, you can buy the floating coolers...I HIGHLY recommend! :) They hold more than you would think. Ours even flipped at the first tube shoot today but no beers, mojitos or margaritas were lost! YAY!!!

• After all this tubing talk....we so should to a Nestie Tube! How fun would that be!?!?! :) Spouses could even be invited! We have about 10 tubes or so and could leave cars at my parent's vacation home so it would be a pretty cheap event!
  • How do you hang on to the cooler if it's in another tube?
  • You just tie the tubes to one another. We all stayed together the entire time. :) I suggest keeping the tube in between 2 people while going through the tube shoot. If it goes first, it always flips. :)
  • image LonghornBabe:
    After all this tubing talk....we so should to a Nestie Tube! How fun would that be!?!?! :) Spouses could even be invited! We have about 10 tubes or so and could leave cars at my parent's vacation home so it would be a pretty cheap event!

very fun!!!