What's Cooking?

Would ice cream stay frozen in a cooler?

DS wants to bring ice cream sandwiches for a treat for his soccer team at their last game. At first I told him there is no way we can do that since the ice cream would melt in the heat. Then I started wondering if it was possible to keep them frozen.

Anyone keep ice cream frozen in a cooler packer with ice for a couple of hours in 90-degree heat?

I assume dry ice would do the trick, but I don't know anything about handling dry ice.

Is this worth the effort, or should I just make some brownies and call it a day?

Re: Would ice cream stay frozen in a cooler?

• I did this once with half gallons of ice cream and it worked ok. It was a little soft and messy, but it worked. I am not sure that the ice cream sandwiches would hold up, but they may!  Plus I'm sure the kids don't mind being messy.

Kisses + sexy underwear = BFP 9-14-12 EDD 5-26-13br>

• I wouldn't try it. We had a party once and the restaurant accidentally put the ice cream cake (cake layered with ice cream, so not straight ice cream) into the cooler instead of into the freezer. It was a mess. I'd imagine that it would be the same with ice cream sandwiches, especially in that heat.
  • I say it depends on your cooler.

Our Igloo "Maxcold" will keep cold beer cold without ice for 24 hours (without frequent opening).  I love those coolers, they rule.  I got ours at Target.

Yeah that's right my name's Yauch!
  • The cooler won't be able to keep it cold enough.  My grocery store carries small blocks of dry ice for cheap...that would do the trick.  Just wear a leather glove, or even a sturdy oven mitt when handling it.  Place the dry ice on the bottom of the cooler and place a piece of cardboard in between it and the ice cream, that way you won't have any accidents.