Money Matters

Housewarming Registry

I recently recieved an invitation to a couple's housewarming party and on the invitation it included registry information.  I thought it was rather tacky to include registry information on the invitaiton in the first place, but I was mainly blown away that they had registered for a housewarming.  I had never heard of that before. They are engaged at the moment so maybe they just couldn't wait for a wedding shower, but still. I didn't think you should expect gifts at a housewarming.  I thought it was more of a 'Welcome to my Home' type thing.  Have you ever been to a housewarming where the owners were registered somewhere? Is that a normal thing to do? Or is it obnoxious?

Re: Housewarming Registry

• Our housewarming is in a few weeks and we never once thought to register.
    Baby Charchie born 12/22/2011
  • I have only heard of it second-hand, thankfully.  But yes to obnoxious.
  • Alright.  That's what I thought.  I thought maybe I was just being uber-judgy. Looks like I'll just bring a candle and call it done.  I'm interested to see how this pans out and if they'll actually get anything off of the registry.
  • Obnoxious.

I once received a HS graduation invitation with a "college dorm room" registry. It was so ridiculous. 

• Yes, very obnoxious.  However I was brought up to bring a gift to someone's house the first time that you visit (even if its flower, cookies, a candle) whether it's a new home or not.
  • This is kind of funny.  We just had a party recently and a coworker of DH's asked him where we were registered.  We were both like "HUH!?!?!".

I get that people do often take little gifts, and that's all well and good.  but I think it's VERY tacky to register and then put it in the invitation for a housewarming!

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Very tacky.

We wanted to throw a party to celebrate our new home- we spent hundreds of dollars for food, alcohol, etc... and didn't expect anything from anybody- we just wanted to throw a party!

Don't worry about tomorrow. After all, today is the tomorrow that you worried about yesterday. Take each day as it comes...one at a time. Midnight Baking Adventures Blog
  • It's tacky. I know people do register for them. Would I bring a gift? Probably, some small token gift or baked goods because I love baking and giving gifts.

Obligated to bring one? No.

But, then again, I refused to allow my registry information to be printed on my invites for my bridal shower...

• where i am from housewarming for first home means registry. open house or subsequent home no registry. i guess i am from a tacky area.
    June 13, 2009 ~ Ocho Rios, Jamaica
  • image BlueMnM:
    where i am from housewarming for first home means registry. open house or subsequent home no registry. i guess i am from a tacky area.

I wouldn't really think that if that's what you do where you are.

Also when doing my bridal registry, housewarming was one of the options on the menu.  

But the OP did say they were engaged at the time, so an engagement gift (which we do, but many places do not), wedding gift and housewarming gift seemed to be asking for a lot.

• I don't get it.

Isn't that what a wedding is for?  To buy couples crap for their home?

What goes on a housewarming registry that didn't make it on the wedding registry?  Cans of paint?  Curtains?

• We just bought a house and are planning a party, but I would not dream of registering.  First of all, we got married 9 months ago, so I think enough is enough with the gifts, and, second, we just want to have an excuse to throw a party and hang out with our friends in our new house.  I'd call it pretty odd if it's not what's typically done in your region/circle/culture.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Yuck!  I usually bring something to a housewarming party, like a plant or a bottle of wine, but I've never heard of a registry.  If I was having a housewarming party, it would just be to show everybody my new place, not furnish it.
    First Blog! Critique Welcome!
    image Buying A Home
  • Very tacky, especially since they are engaged.  If guests want to buy gifts off a registry for them, they can ask around and find out where they are registered for the wedding.  

• image BlueMnM:
    where i am from housewarming for first home means registry. open house or subsequent home no registry. i guess i am from a tacky area.

I'm from the same place as you (if I remember correctly) and no one I know has ever done this.

DS born February 2009 * DD born September 2011
  • I had a housewarming when I built and people brought gifts but I didn't register anywhere.  Plus, I was young and single so there wasn't a need for more gifts in the immediate future and most of the things I had already were slightly cheap.
    me and my two men image
  • Traditional gifts for housewarming are bread, salt and wine; nothing more. Sending people lists of things they can buy you is perfectly disgusting; and especially for a non-gift occasion such as this one.

The last housewarming I went to, I got some reallly neat sea salt from a fancy cooking store, and some good wine and a loaf of sourdough.

SO SINGS MY SOUL *WHAM!* MY SAVIOR GOD TO THEE *WHAM!* HOW GREAT THOU ART *WHAM!* HOW GREAT THOU ART *WHAM!*
  • I would never put registry information in a housewarming invitation.  If the couple is engaged or recently married I may look up their wedding registry and see if there are any cheaper items I could get from there, though usually I am lazy and just grab a bottle of wine to take with me.  Once we get settled in this summer we'll host a housewarming and will make sure that I have a few items on my BB&B wedding registry (from last October) in case anybody looks for a registry.  I wouldn't make a special housewarming registry though as that looks gift grabby, and I would never expect a gift for a housewarming, though gifts are always appreciated :-)
    October 2010 September SC - 1st Anniversary Plans:
    Trip to Prague & bring home furbaby when we get back
    image image
    ~ Karen ~
    **Wedding/House/Travel Bio **
  • It is obnoxious.  Housewarming with a registry is just a gift grab.  Totally tacky.

• Kore!Kore!
    10000 Comments Eighth Anniversary

I always bring a gift (usually alcohol) to a housewarming. I've only been to one where there was a registry. The couple had eloped & didn't have any wedding showers, so it didn't seem super tacky to me. I was also 21 at the time, so my tacky meter wasn't super sensitive :)

The housewarming was "hosted" by someone other than the couple, which is kinda weird, but also seems to be common.

• image Sue_sue:

Traditional gifts for housewarming are bread, salt and wine; nothing more.

Wait, what? Is this similar to the traditional wedding anniversary gifts or something? I've never heard of that. My friends would probably give me the WTF face if I arrived at their housewarming party with salt.
    Blythe, born 6/5/10, and Oscar the dog (not pictured), adopted 11/16/07
  • I always bring a bottle of wine to a housewarming but a registry listed on the invitations would annoy me enough that I wouldn't bring anything.  Greedy mcgreedersons get nothing.
  • image UDShoeGal92306:
    I always bring a bottle of wine to a housewarming but a registry listed on the invitations would annoy me enough that I wouldn't bring anything.  Greedy mcgreedersons get nothing.

Amen to that.  :)

• ::Lurker::

I went to a housewarming party a year ago with a registry. Not only was there a registry but it was an insanely expensive registry, very few items under the $100 range. I bought a cheaper item off the registry and quickly realized I was the only fool to buy something off the registry. I think the registry actually discouraged people from bringing gifts who would have because they had a sour taste... I felt like I was going to bring something anyway so I might as well bring something she wanted, but I was clearly the only person who felt like that lol!