Pets
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

What is up with people rehoming dogs today!?

I've been scrambling trying to find something to do about my neighbor's dog who is being sent off with animal control tomorrow and then I saw a FB status in my News Feed about a friend who wants to rehome her boxer because "he hates her" and she's "scared of him." I quickly looked up trainers near her, commented on her status, and told her the stat about how many dogs die in shelters a minute, telling her that her dogs chances were worse being a "bully breed." Sadly, she laughed it off. 

Why can't it be harder for some people to get dogs? 

image Visit The Nest! PitaPata Dog tickers

Re: What is up with people rehoming dogs today!?

• Ahh, that is so sad!  I more strongly than ever think that people should have to take a test or something before being aloud to look after dogs!  There are so many dogs in my area that deserve so much better than they are getting.
  • We have a boxer, and without training, he was a stubborn a**hole. He still is stubborn, but honestly, it frustrates me that people don't know what they're getting into with individual breeds. One of their traits is to be stubborn and harder to train until 3 or 4. With lots of work, Bueller has been maturing into a wonderful and better behaved dog. It really isn't that difficult. There were times I felt like he hated me those first few months after we got him though. I wish your friend would listen to you.
    image image
  • image KatelynS07:
    We have a boxer, and without training, he was a stubborn a**hole. He still is stubborn, but honestly, it frustrates me that people don't know what they're getting into with individual breeds. One of their traits is to be stubborn and harder to train until 3 or 4. With lots of work, Bueller has been maturing into a wonderful and better behaved dog. It really isn't that difficult. There were times I felt like he hated me those first few months after we got him though. I wish your friend would listen to you.

I should just copy/past parts of your response onto her status. I probably won't because that'll cross the line into rude, but I'm seriously risking being defriended by this person- I haven't seen or spoken to her in, like, 5 years and didn't really care for her much then. (I don't know why it's even a debate; I just don't like not being liked.) 

ETA: I commented something about Boxers being stubborn. I decided that I really don't care what she thinks about me. The dog's life is more important and, besides, all of her updates are about how *awesome* her husband is and how stuff sucks when he's not around. *blegh*

ETA again: She wanted to know how long it would take for him to stop being stubborn. I was honest. He's currently only a year old. Hopefully she doesn't decide it's too long to wait. 

• image SugarScoot0529:

image KatelynS07:
    We have a boxer, and without training, he was a stubborn a**hole. He still is stubborn, but honestly, it frustrates me that people don't know what they're getting into with individual breeds. One of their traits is to be stubborn and harder to train until 3 or 4. With lots of work, Bueller has been maturing into a wonderful and better behaved dog. It really isn't that difficult. There were times I felt like he hated me those first few months after we got him though. I wish your friend would listen to you.

I should just copy/past parts of your response onto her status. I probably won't because that'll cross the line into rude, but I'm seriously risking being defriended by this person- I haven't seen or spoken to her in, like, 5 years and didn't really care for her much then. (I don't know why it's even a debate; I just don't like not being liked.) 

I love him to death, don't get me wrong, but boxers are known for being difficult. He's stubborn, hard-headed, not the brightest, and can be difficult sometimes.Exercising him vigorously and regularly has helped a lot. Feel free to copy and paste whatever you want :)

image image
  • image KatelynS07:
    image SugarScoot0529:

image KatelynS07:

I love him to death, don't get me wrong, but boxers are known for being difficult. He's stubborn, hard-headed, not the brightest, and can be difficult sometimes.Exercising him vigorously and regularly has helped a lot. Feel free to copy and paste whatever you want :)

I have a friend whose Boxer just passed. He was such a sweetie but he was seriously hard-headed too. We think Fetch may be half boxer and it shows; I'll tell him to do something and he'll just stare at me. He'll even sometimes start to do it then stop because he doesn't want to.

I responded to her and she commented back with an excuse about how she didn't want her house destroyed. So I told her to take him to the park or daycare and gave him links for good mind toys. We'll see how it goes. 

• image SugarScoot0529:
    image KatelynS07:
    image SugarScoot0529:

image KatelynS07:

I have a friend whose Boxer just passed. He was such a sweetie but he was seriously hard-headed too. We think Fetch may be half boxer and it shows; I'll tell him to do something and he'll just stare at me. He'll even sometimes start to do it then stop because he doesn't want to.

I responded to her and she commented back with an excuse about how she didn't want her house destroyed. So I told her to take him to the park or daycare and gave him links for good mind toys. We'll see how it goes. 

Regardless, you're awesome for trying :)  Bueller is the biggest clown 24/7, but It got to a point where we couldn't take him being so damn stubborn. Working on simple commands 10-20 minutes a day plus several 5+ mile bike rides a week and he is one awesome dog! 

image image
  • That and BYB.  Oh, but don't worry, they are being responsible and don't do it very often.  Gah!
  • I think people want a cute puppy that instantly turns into the best and most behaved dog with no work or effort.  I love Shiba Inu's and wanted one before we got Freya.  however I did a little research and quickly found out this was not the breed for me (amazing what a 10 minute google search can find out).  It would be nice if everyone did that before getting a dog, it might save some stress. 
    [IMG]http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l98/azurite78/Jr/Juniorisborn114-1.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l98/azurite78/Juniorisborn178.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l98/azurite78/agility3-1.jpg[/IMG]

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wtvVHNJ/]
    [img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wtvVHNJ/weight.png[/img]
    [/url]
  • image Jenniferk08:
    I think people want a cute puppy that instantly turns into the best and most behaved dog with no work or effort.  I love Shiba Inu's and wanted one before we got Freya.  however I did a little research and quickly found out this was not the breed for me (amazing what a 10 minute google search can find out).  It would be nice if everyone did that before getting a dog, it might save some stress. 

Seriously! This is why there should be a mandatory test before getting a dog.

On a side note, what kind of dog is Freya? A friend just got a GSD and named it Freyja. Their last dog was named Loki; they have a thing for Norse Gods. :) 

• Chance is part boxer- my god... he's subbborn as hell and dumb as a box of rocks. That being said, he's almost 2 now, and not nearly as naughty as he was at 1. 
  • Dogs are hard work and sadly most people think it will be a piece of cake to take care of one.

Personally I am done with puppies.  Give me an adult dog any day.  My GSD was 6 when I got her and she is absolutely wonderful and tires very easily. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm a little late but my roomate a few years back decided to get a boxer puppy and that puppy was a total jerk and extremely frustrating. Whenever she'd do something wrong, she'd go hide underneath the middle of the coffee table so you couldn't pull her out. She hated snuggling and cuddling and was just difficult at points because she seemed like she didn't really want to be there. Other breeds do things wrong but you forget all about it when they cuddle up with you on the couch and take a nap. Boxers, in my experience, not so much. She was a bully to her sister and straight up mean to guests. She'd hide and then sneak attack people who came over usually chomping at them, which was cute at first but then got old. She hated any guy. The list could go on and on but at about a year old, maybe a little sooner, it took a turn for the better and she has been wonderful and a great companion since. They just take time and a lot of work.
    [IMG]http://i53.tinypic.com/54u72r.jpg[/IMG]
  • image SugarScoot0529:

image Jenniferk08:
    I think people want a cute puppy that instantly turns into the best and most behaved dog with no work or effort.  I love Shiba Inu's and wanted one before we got Freya.  however I did a little research and quickly found out this was not the breed for me (amazing what a 10 minute google search can find out).  It would be nice if everyone did that before getting a dog, it might save some stress. 

Seriously! This is why there should be a mandatory test before getting a dog.

On a side note, what kind of dog is Freya? A friend just got a GSD and named it Freyja. Their last dog was named Loki; they have a thing for Norse Gods. :) 

Freya is a GSD/Malamute/Husky mix.  Her siblings were all named after Gods/Goddess as well.  I liked the name so we never changed it.

[IMG]http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l98/azurite78/Jr/Juniorisborn114-1.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l98/azurite78/Juniorisborn178.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l98/azurite78/agility3-1.jpg[/IMG]

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wtvVHNJ/]
    [img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wtvVHNJ/weight.png[/img]
    [/url]