Decorating & Renovating

Satin vs. eggshell and other paint confusion

I'm confuuuuuused!

The guy at Sherman Williams told me satin and eggshell were the same thing. After reading posts here, that doesn't seem to be correct. What's the difference? I just want what's best for a bedroom wall. No kids.

He also told me that I messed up by putting latex paint over an oil-based primer (primer, not paint), but my wall is fine and the paint guy at the local store I trust told me that was fine.

What gives? 

My favorite place on earth: The Amargosa Valley.

Re: Satin vs. eggshell and other paint confusion

• i'm worried about the guy at your SW store. a paint store guy should be better versed in paint finishes.

Flat and matte paint finishes have no real sheen when the paint has dried. Rather than reflect light, flat and matte paint finishes absorb it. Both paint finishes are good for hiding small surface imperfections and imperfections in application, such as brush or roller marks. Flat and matte finishes are good choices for interior walls in rooms that receive little traffic or for painting ceilings.

An eggshell paint finish is similar to a matte finish but has a tiny amount of sheen to it when dried. It is a good choice for interior walls and washes slightly better than flat wall paint. Eggshell paint finishes are sometimes interchangeable with matte paint finishes in certain brands of paint.

A satin paint finish is often the glossiest paint finish a decorator will recommend for any room save the kitchen and bath, but I use it for kitchens and baths rather than the semi-gloss. It is not a high-gloss finish, but does have a smooth, velvety shine to it when dried. Satin paint finishes do not hide imperfections in surfaces or application as well as the aforementioned finishes, but they are forgiving enough for novice painters to use. A satin paint finish will reflect more light than eggshell and is a great choice for kids' rooms and trim as it stands up well to washing.

Semi-gloss and high-gloss paint finishes are at the other end of the spectrum and reflect the most light of any paint finish when dried.

Semi-gloss paint is the reported choice for kitchens and baths as the finish can stand up to water and frequent cleaning better than other finishes. Many people also choose to paint trim with semi-gloss paint for the same reasons.

High-gloss paints are not generally popular choices for walls, but many people choose gloss paint for painting furniture, especially for a modern look or durable paint finish.

HD & lowes each have samples of each of the finishes in the same color to show the differences.

"A friend loves at all times..." Pr. 17:17 MY GOOGLEPAGES BIO image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • image prazenjc:

i'm worried about the guy at your SW store. a paint store guy should be better versed in paint finishes.

Flat and matte paint finishes have no real sheen when the paint has dried. Rather than reflect light, flat and matte paint finishes absorb it. Both paint finishes are good for hiding small surface imperfections and imperfections in application, such as brush or roller marks. Flat and matte finishes are good choices for interior walls in rooms that receive little traffic or for painting ceilings.

An eggshell paint finish is similar to a matte finish but has a tiny amount of sheen to it when dried. It is a good choice for interior walls and washes slightly better than flat wall paint. Eggshell paint finishes are sometimes interchangeable with matte paint finishes in certain brands of paint.

A satin paint finish is often the glossiest paint finish a decorator will recommend for any room save the kitchen and bath, but I use it for kitchens and baths rather than the semi-gloss. It is not a high-gloss finish, but does have a smooth, velvety shine to it when dried. Satin paint finishes do not hide imperfections in surfaces or application as well as the aforementioned finishes, but they are forgiving enough for novice painters to use. A satin paint finish will reflect more light than eggshell and is a great choice for kids' rooms and trim as it stands up well to washing.

Semi-gloss and high-gloss paint finishes are at the other end of the spectrum and reflect the most light of any paint finish when dried.

Semi-gloss paint is the reported choice for kitchens and baths as the finish can stand up to water and frequent cleaning better than other finishes. Many people also choose to paint trim with semi-gloss paint for the same reasons.

High-gloss paints are not generally popular choices for walls, but many people choose gloss paint for painting furniture, especially for a modern look or durable paint finish.

HD & lowes each have samples of each of the finishes in the same color to show the differences.

Awesome!  Thanks!  (I was confused and needed a breakdown, too.) :-)

image image
    ...............the papeete blog...............

"Last night I dreamed I ate a ten-pound marshmallow, and when I woke up the pillow was gone." - Tommy Cooper
  • latex is fine to go over oil based primer... you wouldn't do oil based paint over latex primer
  • image papeete:
    image prazenjc:

i'm worried about the guy at your SW store. a paint store guy should be better versed in paint finishes.

Awesome!  Thanks!  (I was confused and needed a breakdown, too.) :-)

in full disclosure, i pulled a lot of that from some website and modified it a bit to add my own bent.

"A friend loves at all times..." Pr. 17:17 MY GOOGLEPAGES BIO image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I've had the guys at SW say that to me too, but that's because they don't sell eggshell. Some of their lines go from flat to satin to semi-gloss and skip over the eggshell finish. I know the Superpaint line is like this.

Their Duration line has a "matte" finish which I'd say is between flat and eggshell and we used that in our master bedroom. I'd go with that over their satin finish. We used satin Superpaint throughout much of our main level and it's too shiny.

• image j*inspired:

I've had the guys at SW say that to me too, but that's because they don't sell eggshell. Some of their lines go from flat to satin to semi-gloss and skip over the eggshell finish. I know the Superpaint line is like this.

Their Duration line has a "matte" finish which I'd say is between flat and eggshell and we used that in our master bedroom. I'd go with that over their satin finish. We used satin Superpaint throughout much of our main level and it's too shiny.

Yeah...the finishes at SW are different than other stores, and there are differences between their different lines.

• image j*inspired:

I've had the guys at SW say that to me too, but that's because they don't sell eggshell. Some of their lines go from flat to satin to semi-gloss and skip over the eggshell finish. I know the Superpaint line is like this.

This.

• You can put oil over latex but not latex over oil.  Some day, and I don't know when, that latex coat you put on is going to slip-slide or bubble right off the wall.
  • image TarHeels&Rebels:
    You can put oil over latex but not latex over oil.  Some day, and I don't know when, that latex coat you put on is going to slip-slide or bubble right off the wall.

You can absolutely put latex pain over oil based primer.  It is not the same thing as trying to put latex over oil based paint, and the paint does adhere to the surface just fine.  It will not slide off.  If the primer was allowed to dry for the recommended time before applying the latex paint, it should hold up very well.

• Gah! No wonder I'm confused.

1. Prazenjc, thank you for the breakdown. I'm bookmarking that page.

2. So do you think my HGTV brand paint from SW will look OK in satin? 

3. I just emailed Kilz. I'm fed up with this confusion. I'm somewhat confident you can put latex over oil-based primer, but I'll let you know what they say.

4. Screw SW, I'm going back to my locally owned hardware store where the paint guys know what they're talking about.

• image Passanie:

3. I just emailed Kilz. I'm fed up with this confusion. I'm somewhat confident you can put latex over oil-based primer, but I'll let you know what they say.

It should say it on the can.  It did on the oil based primer that I used.

• image TheBridesMom:
    image Passanie:

It should say it on the can.  It did on the oil based primer that I used.

Aha! You are correct (duh, what a bright idea). It says "makes an excellent base for latex or oil-based paint. Crisis averted, whew! (which makes me wonder what happens when you do mess up?)