Pets
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Update: My neighbors with the Doberman have called AC

I just talked to the husband and he said that AC is coming tomorrow to take the dog, like AC is 1-800-JUNK or something. I tried to look up stats about the shelter here in town to have a discussion with them about why this is a *horrible* idea and did not find encouraging things. 

So, I sent them an email, told them about a no-kill shelter here in town and one about 40mi away. This was the email:

"Hey. I was looking up some stats about the Char-Meck animal shelter and found a shelter in Charlotte called HALO. It's a no-kill shelter. I know that you think Boo is pretty likely to get adopted, but the shelter here has a pretty bad reputation. If you haven't already tried them, you might want to give them a shot. There's also a no-kill shelter in Hickory that could be an option. 

I'm worried about Boo; shelters are really flooded with animals right now and in the economic downturn people are reluctant to adopt. Let me know what you think."

I was going for strongly worded but not judgmental. I probably should have posted it here before sending it, but I feel like we're in a time crunch. DH, who is freaking amazing, has agreed that if they don't agree to cancel their call to AC we can take the Doberman in until we can get him a spot with a rescue or a no-kill shelter. It'll be incredibly inconvenient, but I don't want to let him die.

image Visit The Nest! PitaPata Dog tickers

Re: Update: My neighbors with the Doberman have called AC

• That's terrible news about your neighbors! I think the letter is well-said....it is to the point but not judgmental. In fact, I think it just makes you seem like a caring and concerned animal lover. I think you did a good job!

By the way, awesome DH! :)  

• My neighbor responded to the email and said that AC promises he'll go to the Humane Society because he's a special case since he has his shots and is dewormed and everything. The HS here is no-kill for adoptable animals.

However, I'm worried that the AC won't follow through on their promise or that the HS will decide that he isn't adoptable because he's underweight and has skin issues or because he has SA. I'm probably just paranoid, but I'm worried. 

• I think that is a really good letter. It's sounds caring and informed and also, determined.

You mentioned Charlotte, so I guess that you live near the south, at least. Are the animal controls and some of the humane societies pretty bad in some of those areas still? I know I've heard that some places, like parts of the south, use gas chambers....which I think it horribly sad and sounds much worse than an injection....but I think that might have been more common further south. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image novilise:

I think that is a really good letter. It's sounds caring and informed and also, determined.

You mentioned Charlotte, so I guess that you live near the south, at least. Are the animal controls and some of the humane societies pretty bad in some of those areas still? I know I've heard that some places, like parts of the south, use gas chambers....which I think it horribly sad and sounds much worse than an injection....but I think that might have been more common further south. 

Yeah, I'm worried about the quality of the Humane Society here. Hopefully the fact that it's an urban area and is pretty dog friendly will make it higher quality. Gas chambers are still legal in both North and South Carolina and are apparently in quite frequent use in the South Carolinian counties near us.

I'm trying to figure out if I should accept her plan and agree that the Humane Society will be good or if I should tell her I'll take him.  

• If you can, I would offer to take the dog.  With the problems you listed, the animals might not be considered adoptable and if it is adopted, I think there is a good chance the pup would find it's way back to the HS. 
  • Is there a Doberman rescue you can try to contact? Especially where YH said you could take him for a bit, maybe you can hold him until the rescue can find a foster home?
    imageimage Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • image Bison1376:
    If you can, I would offer to take the dog.  With the problems you listed, the animals might not be considered adoptable and if it is adopted, I think there is a good chance the pup would find it's way back to the HS. 

I'm really worried about that too. But, I'm having trouble finding anyone who will take him and we just can't keep him for more than a day or two because we have a tiny apartment and already have Fetch. I feel mean saying that that's a consideration, but it is. None of the rescues I've emailed can take him because of foster space and fostering can be such a long term thing; in the end it just wouldn't be good for him or Fetch if he was here. 

• image mainerocks:
    Is there a Doberman rescue you can try to contact? Especially where YH said you could take him for a bit, maybe you can hold him until the rescue can find a foster home?

I've contacted a few, heard back from one. They said they have no foster space and sent me info for another rescue. They didn't like me very much because I was annoyed at my neighbor's tendency to talk about the dogs "show dog quality" and flippantly mentioned it in the email, forgetting that sarcasm doesn't read on the internet. 

• I just heard back from a local rescue and they said that the local Humane Society is really, really good. They'll do thorough screenings of any adopter and they aren't going to decide that he's just too difficult to adopt and euthanize him. She also said that I can call Animal Control and put myself on a list of interested parties so, if he somehow does go to the shelter, if he comes up for euthanasia, they'll call me and give me a chance to adopt him before they do it. 

I still have emails in to Doberman rescues, a rescue working in foster homes is a better deal than the Humane Society, but at least I know that if I don't hear any good news, he'll still be mostly OK. 

• Oh I am so sorry!  I tried to pimp this boy out to everyone I know.  Bah, I hate people sometimes. 

Thank you for trying so hard for this guy.

[IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/al4z7p.jpg[/IMG]
  • image schneider:

Oh I am so sorry!  I tried to pimp this boy out to everyone I know.  Bah, I hate people sometimes. 

Thank you for trying so hard for this guy.

Thank you so much for trying! Hopefully he makes it to the Humane Society and finds a good home or one of the Doberman rescues comes through for us. *sigh* I wish we had a house so we could foster.

I hate people too. They are extra lame these last few days.