Nest Book Club
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Amazon's Best-Read Cities

Didn't know if y'all had seen this?

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/books/2011/05/inside-amazons-best-read-cities.html

I'm kind of surprised that my hometown, Atlanta, made the top 20.  However I wouldn't say that we made the list due to it being hot down here (BTW - I do resent it being called "Hotlanta;" locals much prefer the far less ubiquitous "ATL").  And wihile yes it is hot (high of 93 today), we do like to read books other than beach fluff!

my to-read shelf:
Katie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)

Book Challenge
Book Challenge

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Amazon's Best-Read Cities

• EliStarEliStar member
    Ninth Anniversary 10000 Comments 500 Love Its First Answer

dup

image image
              Elizabeth Salom (elistar)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

• EliStarEliStar member
    Ninth Anniversary 10000 Comments 500 Love Its First Answer

I saw this. I was also surprised that my city (Miami, FL) made the list at #5. Despite the fact that we have a few really big Universities down here, (and despite the obscene number of books I buy lol) Miami is more known for being a party city.  

image image
              Elizabeth Salom (elistar)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

• HoycieHoycie member
    5000 Comments Sixth Anniversary 500 Love Its First Answer
    Yay Miami! Glad to know my money is spent to make it on a good list!!

Joyce's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

• kpowkpow member
    Seventh Anniversary 5000 Comments 100 Love Its Name Dropper

I'm in Atlanta today! It is freaking hot. K- I wish we were here long enough to see you, but got in last night and going to my parents' mtn house tomorrow morning.

My husband calls it both Hotlanta and the ATL.

Can I marry them all?

• I'm excited to see Atlanta on the list (its my 2nd home - lived there for summers during college then for a few years after)!

I know this probably doesn't sound very "smart", but I felt like Atlanta was a smart city. Most people seemed to be educated, cared about the environment and tended to be so pet friendly (not that these are only smart people traits, or the only traits they can have). I'm glad to see they are also well read (which may be the reason they are all of the above). Oh how I miss Atlanta! I wish I could live 2 places at once!

• I'm guessing Pittsburgh made the top 15 thanks to the universities. There are an awful lot of schools crammed into a relatively small geographical area. Smile
  • image thelamberts2007:

I felt like Atlanta was a smart city. Most people seemed to be educated, cared about the environment

I totally agree.  At least where I live, everyone is really urban and modern, so maybe it's us that kept us in the 20!  However, I'm shamelessly a B&N girl so my stats didn't count...

Kpow - I hope the heat is causing you to rethink any move you might want to make back to the dirty south.  Every time I hear my bro's report on Breckenridge or the Tetons, I get so jealous.  Let me know if you are ever back for more than a day or so - I'd love to see you and the fam!

my to-read shelf:
    Katie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)

Book Challenge
    Book Challenge

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm excited that Knoxville is #11. it makes me very happy, considering I don't have too many friends in my area that read. maybe I need to go in search of these other readers in town.
    [url]www.dreamsandswords.com[/url]

my read shelf: