Money Matters

Non-lame bridal shower games?

I've been enlisted to help come up with games for a bridal shower that my mother is hosting.

Generally, I hate games. I haven't had them at any of my showers or showers that I have hosted. However, the bride-to-bed wants games. There will be a variety of ages at the shower - from early 20's to 70's, so nothing terribly scandalous.

I was thinking "bridal bingo". I have no idea, though. Help!

Re: Non-lame bridal shower games?

• I was afraid that bridal bingo was going to be lame at my shower but people loved it!  Everyone was shouting and competitive (in a fun way).  I'm not sure about any of the other games though.
  • The criteria for non-lameness is (a) not embarrassing anyone and (b) optional participation.  So Bridal Bingo is fine because people can just not play if they don't want to.  And the "TV husbands" game is OK for the same reason.
    Quincy and Dexter, new BFFs

I used to be kris216.
  • if its not a HUGE shower... heres a cute thing they did at mine :-) My sister found a bunch of quotes/jokes about love/ marriage (some examples are "when you realized you want to spend the rest of your life with someone, you want to rest of your life to start as soon as possible" and "never discuss important things before dinner- husbands are very irritable when hungry" LOL... that kind of stuff.)

She had one quote per guest, and put them each on little pieces of paper. BEfore I started opening presents, each guest got a quote. When  I opened that guest's present, the guest had to read the quote/joke on their paper outloud 

you kind of have to be there, but its really cute. It kept all the guests interested because they wanted to hear what the next quote or joke was... and we were all laughing at all of the funny ones.

• At my shower, prizes were given to the first people to respond to each hostess, as well as the first person to respond to the wedding (response cards went to my parents' house). Walla, one less game necessary. My bridesmaids also did a wedding-themed Mad Lib. Every guest got a piece of paper with their direction (noun, adjective, number etc) and they were collected after lunch. Then the mad lib was filled in and the story read aloud. At a baby shower a few weeks ago, there was baby/family/child on tv trivia, so you could do wedding trivia like on what soap opera did Luke marry Laura; which two Friends married each other and so on.
  • I had some really fun games at my showers! I had two and both did the Bride word scramble game where you have a bunch of wedding words (like bouquet, groom, chapel... ect) all scrambled and everyone has a certain amount of time to unscramble all the words. This is fairly easy to find online and print off copies for everyone.

The safest bet is to embarass the bride-to-be as much as possible. You can always get a list of the groom's "favorite things" and then test her knowledge. At my shower they had a list of facts about my H and for every answer I got wrong, I had to put a marshmallow in my mouth. I had HUGE cheeks and could barely talk by the end of the game.

The clothes pin game is fun too- when everyone comes in they get a clothes pin on their shirt. You designate a very common word like the groom's name or "bride" or "dress". If you hear someone say that word at all throughout the shower, you can steal their clothes pin. At the end of the shower, whoever has the most clothes pins gets a prize.

I can think of more, but if you google the topic, you can find tons of easy to plan games.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image DuckieDuck:

The safest bet is to embarass the bride-to-be as much as possible.

This is exactly I was saying NOT to do.  But, if the bride wants games, I guess she has it coming.  lol.

I used to be kris216.
  • What about a Celebrity couple game?  Celebrities on one posterboard, numbered, with their spouses on the other, and you have to match them up.  Bonus question could be naming all of Liz Taylor's husbands! Or how many times she's been married.  

Also, gift bingo is fun, gives everyone else something to do while opening gifts.  I would give "ideas" of gifts at the bottom of the bingo card, for those who can't think of as may items as they have open spots.

• JMO - but I don't like the clothes pin game. 
    "How long till my soul gets it right? Can any human being ever reach the highest light? Except for Galileo, god rest his soul, king of night vision, king of insight." ~ Indigo Girls Anniversary
    When you've been married this long, you need a ticker to remind you.

Baby Boy M - 08/01/2013
  • I went to a baby shower recently and the games were completely tolerable and could be adapted. the best were scrabble and poem.

scrabble - get out your scrabble board and start with a wedding word. have all the tiles out so people can add on. have a piece of paper nearby so people can log their entry.

poem - you'll have to search for one, but its essentially a poem where each verse gets handed off to another guest to read and the last person wins. 

• At my shower, we played a Price is Right game. Basically a bridesmaid brought in household stuff like laundry detergent, Advill, toliet paper, etc. and everyone had to guess the price and write it down. Whoever was closest without going over won. It was simple, didn't require a lot of thinking, and seemed to go over well with everyone.

At a friend's shower, we played a mad-libs story game where guests had to fill in the blanks with info about the couple. For example, the story went like this:

Bob ______ Smith and Jean Marie Jones met at University of ______ in May of ____. Bob's major was ____ and Jean's was ____.

The story went on to talk about how they grew up, where they went to school, how they met, got engaged, weddng plans, etc. Whoever knew the most about the couple and got the most blanks correct won.

• image DuckieDuck:

You can always get a list of the groom's "favorite things" and then test her knowledge. At my shower they had a list of facts about my H and for every answer I got wrong, I had to put a marshmallow in my mouth. I had HUGE cheeks and could barely talk by the end of the game.

I was going to suggest this too. But if you don't want to embarrass the bride you could have all the guests bet on how many she'll get right in advance and then at the end whoever guessed closest gets a prize. 

• I suppose this one could be a little awkward if there were a lot of divorces in the family, but I was at a shower where they'd displayed on a table wedding photos of the bride and groom's family members.  Each photo was numbered, and you were supposed to guess what year each wedding was based on the style of dress and tuxedo, hair styles, etc.  Whoever guessed the most correct won a prize.  It was kind of fun to see how styles had changed over the years, especially when some of the people in the photos like the bride's 90-year old grandmother were present at the shower.
  • image dexteroni:
    The criteria for non-lameness is (a) not embarrassing anyone and (b) optional participation. 

I agree with this, especially the optional participation part.

• image DuckieDuck:

I had some really fun games at my showers! I had two and both did the Bride word scramble game where you have a bunch of wedding words (like bouquet, groom, chapel... ect) all scrambled and everyone has a certain amount of time to unscramble all the words. This is fairly easy to find online and print off copies for everyone.

The safest bet is to embarass the bride-to-be as much as possible. You can always get a list of the groom's "favorite things" and then test her knowledge. At my shower they had a list of facts about my H and for every answer I got wrong, I had to put a marshmallow in my mouth. I had HUGE cheeks and could barely talk by the end of the game.

The clothes pin game is fun too- when everyone comes in they get a clothes pin on their shirt. You designate a very common word like the groom's name or "bride" or "dress". If you hear someone say that word at all throughout the shower, you can steal their clothes pin. At the end of the shower, whoever has the most clothes pins gets a prize.

I can think of more, but if you google the topic, you can find tons of easy to plan games.

My sister in law had me play the favorite things/trivia about my soon-to-be husband, and it was hilarious. Instead of marshmallows she made me eat red hots though which I totally despise, so I made some pretty ridiculous faces, hah! 

ExerciseMilestone
  • At one of my showers someone had 4 "baskets" (but actually they were on plates, wrapped up all pretty, like gift baskets) and anyone who wanted to play guessed the total cost of the basket. One was cleaning supply-themed (Windex, sponges, paper towels, ect). One was dessert (brownies, frosting, ect). I dont remember what they all were exactly. Then whoever guessed the cost closest won the basket. It was funny because most people were WAY off on the cost. I am doing this for my friends shower this weekend. I think it fits the afore mentioned criteria for good shower games. 

ETA: The baskets at my shower were probably an average of $15, but you could do cheaper baskets with less expensive items to keep the cost down (movie night: small box popcorn, candy, 2 liter). Also, you could only have 1-2 baskets if you wanted. 

• Most of the showers I attended did not have games. One I thought that was interesting was they had a timer and if your gift was being opened when the timer went off you won a prize. The times was set for no more than two minutes.

• Oh I'm sorry! I thought it was the guests who didn't want to be embarassed. Well in that case, you could do something a little more mild like pieces of bubble gum. Or even don't keep score at all. Maybe just say at the end, the number of wrong questions is the number of babies they will have... eeek! lol
  • I'm really really anti shower games. I didn't have any at mine and really no one missed them.

I went to a baby shower this past weekend and they had a gift bingo and this checklist game where you had to pick which attribute each parent wanted for the baby, i.e. mom's eyes, dad's hair, etc. -- I guess you could translate that into a newlywed game type thing.  They weren't too awful and went over well.  The demographic at this shower is similar to yours. 

• image MoreAdventurous2007:
    image DuckieDuck:

You can always get a list of the groom's "favorite things" and then test her knowledge. At my shower they had a list of facts about my H and for every answer I got wrong, I had to put a marshmallow in my mouth. I had HUGE cheeks and could barely talk by the end of the game.

I was going to suggest this too. But if you don't want to embarrass the bride you could have all the guests bet on how many she'll get right in advance and then at the end whoever guessed closest gets a prize. 

It still puts the bride on the spot, which IMO is not cool at all.

I used to be kris216.
  • I was at a shower where the organizer cut anniversary announcements out of the paper (I think she picked a small local one that she figured not many people had read/seen). She had all the pictures in one stack (labeled A-?), all the writing in another (labels 1 - ?). You had to guess which write up went with which picture.
    imageimage