Oklahoma Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

speedysari--documentaries

I've been on a documentary kick, so here's some I've enjoyed recently:

The September Issue

Exit Through the Gift Shop

Cocaine Cowboys (this is what we watched this weekend)

God Grew Tired of Us

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: speedysari--documentaries

• Jumping in because I love documentaries, too. 

I love God Grew Tired of Us--I show it in class, in fact.

I'm also a big fan of:

The Letter: An American Town and the Somali Invasion

Middlesexes: Redefining He and She

Food, Inc.

King Corn

The 30 Days tv series

The Corporation

People Like Us

Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son about his Father (have the kleenex ready!)

Whatever HBO's latest documentary on PTSD is called. DH and I watched it and were beyond pissed at the past (and, to some degree, present) military culture that mental heath issues aren't real issues

Lizzy---Cocaine Cowboys is on my list of "much watch." I'll bump it to the top of my list with your recommendation.

• I've had God Grew Tired of Us in my instant queue for a while.  Now I really want to actually get around to watching it!

Middlesexes also sounds really interesting! 

• Just looked up 'God Grew Tired of Us,' will definitely be watching that one soon, along with some others you've all mentioned.

We've seen a few interesting ones lately, most recently 'Cropsy' and 'Bag It.' 'Cropsy' is sort of urban legend meets mental institution, 'Bag It' is a Michael Moore-style doc about the horrors of plastic. I would recommend both, depending on your mood.

I've seen Cocaine Cowboys... actually stumbled upon it on Showtime or HBO a few months ago. Fascinating stuff! Loved 'Food Inc.' It definitely made me thankful for organic farmers like my dad. I haven't seen 'Dear Zachary,' but I'm a huge fan of Evan B. Harris, who designed the movie poster (random fact). 

Love this thread... thanks for all the recs!

• image speedysari:

Just looked up 'God Grew Tired of Us,' will definitely be watching that one soon, along with some others you've all mentioned.

We've seen a few interesting ones lately, most recently 'Cropsy' and 'Bag It.' 'Cropsy' is sort of urban legend meets mental institution, 'Bag It' is a Michael Moore-style doc about the horrors of plastic. I would recommend both, depending on your mood.

I've seen Cocaine Cowboys... actually stumbled upon it on Showtime or HBO a few months ago. Fascinating stuff! Loved 'Food Inc.' It definitely made me thankful for organic farmers like my dad. I haven't seen 'Dear Zachary,' but I'm a huge fan of Evan B. Harris, who designed the movie poster (random fact). 

I watched Cropsy a couple of months ago. Really eye opening to see how mental institutions used to be years ago.

I also watch "Forgiving Dr. Mengele" a while ago. It's about a woman who was part of twin experiments in Auchwitz and she ends up forgiving this doctor. Very interesting.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Anniversary
  • llizzybllizzyb member
    Sixth Anniversary
    image amanjay:

Lizzy---Cocaine Cowboys is on my list of "much watch." I'll bump it to the top of my list with your recommendation.

I enjoyed it. One thing I do suggest is to research the main characters/interviewees after the documentary. Their history is not touched on much during the film, and it was interesting to see that perspective and then research their earlier years.

• llizzybllizzyb member
    Sixth Anniversary
    image speedysari:

Just looked up 'God Grew Tired of Us,' will definitely be watching that one soon, along with some others you've all mentioned.

Food, Inc made me Ick! I don't want to become a vegetarian, but some of the scenes were enough to turn me that way. It was very educational!

Thanks for your other suggestions!

• llizzybllizzyb member
    Sixth Anniversary
    image critti710:

I've had God Grew Tired of Us in my instant queue for a while.  Now I really want to actually get around to watching it!

Middlesexes also sounds really interesting! 

Yes, God Grew Tired of Us is a must-watch. Really made me think about how the US appears to those who didn't grow up here.