New Jersey Nesties

Pediatric Dentist vs. General Dentist

Which do you use for you LO? I have a rec from our ped for a pediatric dentist a few towns away. I was looking for a dentist for myself and came across a practice that also says they treat children. Now I'm trying to figure out if it would just be easier to have us all use the same dentist. Hmmm?

Re: Pediatric Dentist vs. General Dentist

• The dentist we us, also takes children so that's where we will take Abby.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I personally wouldn't take Brandon to my dentist.  It's just not kid friendly, or fun for him.  I wanted to make his first trip to the dentist as enjoyable as possible so he wasn't reluctant to go back.  We chose a ped dentist.
    image AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • we use our regular dentist. As my pediatrician says as long as a regular dentist is comfortable with small kids there is no difference. She even said that pediatric dentists overcharge.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I think if your girls are generally ok with the dentist, a regular one would work.  The biggest difference would be that a pediatric dentist has all the kids incentives (ours has this huge stuffed alligator that Lia brushes it's teeth every time, plus a toy machine where they stick a token in to get a prize).

I know my regular dentist does pediatrics as well, but it's a little stuffy for a kid :)

• Allison goes to MH's dentist.  It's a family practice.  The hygentist is great with her.
  • i've always took ds1 to a pediatric dentist, and i'll do the same with these two little ones. the pediatric dentist we go to is awesome and has one of the best personalities out there, my dentist lacks that.
  • My kids LOVE their pediatric dentist. He hands them his ipod touch to watch whatever cartoon they want while he's cleaning their teeth. There are also video games and a train table in the waiting room. Shoot...I wish it was MY dentist!
  • We use a family dentist so that we all go. Just much easier for me.......
    image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • Teagan goes to my dentist who I grew up going to.  There's nothing fancy about the office especially for kids, but still at her 2nd appointment she was in the room getting her cleaning all by herself.  Didn't need me at all and is really comfortable with the hygenist.  The toothbrush drawer is one of her favorite parts and there is a prize bucket for after your done.  Now if I can just get us on the same schedule it will be so easy. 
    Brenna Married 4.30.05

Mom to Teagan 4.11.07 and Cora 9.30.11

image Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

D&E @ 22w 9.30.09 CMV infection BFP 10.15.10 C/P 4w4d

• image HarrietNJMommy:
    We use a family dentist so that we all go. Just much easier for me.......

To this point: the dentist we use for the kids is 10 minutes away and they have Saturday appts. The dentist MH and I use is 30 minutes away and doesn't have weekend or evening hours. So it actually works better for us to have separate dentists (we don't have to worry about juggling work schedules and taking the kids out of daycare, etc). Whatever works!

• image avoliss:

image HarrietNJMommy:
    We use a family dentist so that we all go. Just much easier for me.......

To this point: the dentist we use for the kids is 10 minutes away and they have Saturday appts. The dentist MH and I use is 30 minutes away and doesn't have weekend or evening hours. So it actually works better for us to have separate dentists (we don't have to worry about juggling work schedules and taking the kids out of daycare, etc). Whatever works!

Our dentist isn't open on Saturday, but does have late hours on 2 days per week (until 8pm). This way, it doesn't interfere with DH's work schedule either, and would work with daycare schedules as well.

My old dentist (in Queens) had Saturday hours and was a family dentist. The reason why I switched is because I didn't want a 40-minute drive to the dentist. I wanted someone close.

Just something to think about. I would think about what hours you want for the dentist and find one that fits! 

image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12