Decorating & Renovating

Ikea Liatorp Bookcases? Or other suggestions?

Does anyone have the Liatorp bookcases from Ikea?  What's the quality like?  Are they sturdy enough to actually hold a shelf full of books?

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00116595

We have tons of books that are sitting stacked in the corner of the living room and our coat closet (and have been since we moved in) because DH's friend accidently broke our cheap Target bookshelves when we were moving.  I wasn't too upset b/c they were old and I didn't much like them anyway.  Fast forward 10 months and they are still there.  We can't justify spending the $$ for built-ins or the wall unit I'm in love with, so we're looking for less expensive options.  We're planning to put them on a 12 foot long wall and want something that will give us the look of a wall unit and give a library-like feel.  If you don't like these, any other suggestions?

Re: Ikea Liatorp Bookcases? Or other suggestions?

• That looks like what my parents have and they've really liked it.

I have lots of Billy bookcases around and LOVE them. They've held up really well to all the books DH and I have.

• Myst33 (I believe that is her name, someone will correct me if not) has a loft/library that is all Ikea shelves, and it's beautiful.
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am not sure about those ones specifically, but I have the Billy Bookcases.  They are decent quality.  You couldn't climb on them, but they do their job-sit evenly, hold stuff, and easy to put together.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We were going to get the Liatorp bookcases, but we ended up going with the Billy bookcases mainly because they have an extension.  H wanted a taller more stately case and with the extension on top, the billy ones worked for us.  The big benefit to the Liatorp cases is they are solid wood, the billy ones have some particle board pieces.  HTH!!
  • I JUST posted a review on my blog of the Ikea Liatorp dining table and chairs. I hate it--the finish is cheap and chips apart really easily.

With bookshelves it might be ok, since they don't get nearly as much touching/use as a table.

• image irlndsumer:
    Myst33 (I believe that is her name, someone will correct me if not) has a loft/library that is all Ikea shelves, and it's beautiful.

Thanks!! We have the ikea billy bookcases (with height extensions)

Yep, I have some pics in my bio :-)

image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • PIB.. all the bookcases in the basement are Billy.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am definitely a fan of the Bill bookshelves.  There was just something that I can put my finger on about the Liatorp shelves that I never liked.  Maybe it's the finish that FP mentioned in her post.