Pets

Good Quality Dry Bland Dog Food

amyjoy18amyjoy18 member
Tenth Anniversary 2500 Comments 25 Love Its Name Dropper

My one year old doberman has been having some reoccuring digestive problems.  It seems like every 3 weeks or so he gets bad diarhea.  Beyond that he generally acts normal. The vet has been treating it with medicines for parasites/antibiotics and a bland diet of canned food, rice and yogurt. 

We're thinking we may need to put him on a bland diet permanently and with his size, the canned food would be more than our human food budget for 3 people!

A quick search showed Iams and Purina with bland formuals...but I want something better quality. 

Any other advice would also be appreciated if you think we're not heading in the right direction here.

image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Tickera>

Re: Good Quality Dry Bland Dog Food

• Are there any particular ingredients that he's sensitive/allergic to?
  • Suggestion:

Wellness sensitive:

• image YellowUmbrella:
    Are there any particular ingredients that he's sensitive/allergic to?

Honestly we're not sure--is there a way to go about finding out?  Originally somet of the bouts of diarhea coincided with him destroying something while we were away (DD's toys/books/shoes) so I think we were incorrectly attributing the diarhea to that--since he didn't actually seem to be eating any of the carnage.

• What was he eating prior to the vetrinary diet?
  • Previously he was on Merrick...which he'd been on since we got him.

• Which formula though, chicken, beef, before grain version?  That may help us find you something different.
  • It's a chicken formula.
  • image amyjoy18:
    It's a chicken formula.

I think I have heard a lot of dogs can be allergic to chicken.  Maybe try and different protein like venision or fish or something....

Furbaby Toby, DS Alex, Furbaby Gracie

TTC #2 Since February 2008

Me: 31, DH: 30

DH diagnosed with MFI, Me - All tests came back ok

September 2010 - IUI #1 with Clomid = BFN

October 2010 - Break due to cyst = BFN

November 2010 - IUI #2 w/Femara + Menapur + Trigger = BFN

Saving for IVF! Hopefully IVF #1 in 2012.

Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker
  • My dog can't eat chicken, duck, turkey or peanut butter. She's on Acana Lamb and Apple, single protein, good ratings and reviews. She was much better as soon as I switched her to it from chicken, she went through the antibiotic (sp) round as well, not any help.
  • She seemed to be on the same three weekish upset cycle yours is on, she'd be fine for a bit and then a few days of liquipoop.