Politics & Current Events

s/o State laws re: leaving children alone in car

I know there's a whole post already about this but it's about to go nuclear before long. :)   I just wanted to post a list of where it is illegal to leave your child in the car alone, as a reference. It was brought up in the Piggyback post.

Washington -illegal to leave children under 16 years old unattended in a car that is running, in a public place

California - illegal for caregiver to leave a child ages 6 years or younger alone in a vehicle without supervision of person over age of 12 when engine is running or keys are in ignition or there are risky conditions present

Florida - illegal to leave child younger than 6 in car with motor running at all; or for more than 15 minutes when car is not running

Illinois - illegal to leave child in car unattended for more than 10 minutes

Maryland - illegal to leave child under the age of 8 in car unattended if car is out of sight of the responsible adult

Michigan - illegal to leave child under the age of 6 for period of time that results in "unreasonable risk of harm or injury to the child."

Nevada - illegal to leave child of 7 years or younger unattended by someone over age of 12 if the motor is running or the situation is risky/dangerous.

Oklahoma - illegal to leave child 6 years or younger "unattended" - with unattended defined as "beyond a person's direct ability to care for or come to the aid of the unaccompanied person" if conditions (e.g. extreme weather, inadequate ventilation) pose a risk to the safety of the child.

Connecticut - illegal to leave child under age of 12 in a place for a "period of time that presents a substantial risk to the child's health or safety ...."

Hawaii - illegal to leave child under the age of 9 car alone for more than five minutes.

Louisiana - illegal to leave child under age of 6 when car operator is more than 10 feet away from vehicle.

Pennsylvania - illegal to leave child under 6 years alone in car when vehicle is "out of the person's sight" and under dangerous circumstances - if they are on public roads and traffic ways, including parking lots.

Tennessee - illegal to leave a child under age of 10 alone in car

Texas - illegal to leave child under the age of 7 alone in car for more than five minutes

Re: s/o State laws re: leaving children alone in car

• Oh, I'm good then.

I have never left her for more than a few minutes.

Green Cleaning Recipes
    ~Be a Good Wife ~ Updated 3.30.12 - Smell Like A Dirty Hippy
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
  • Sweet.  I can lock ZB in the car all day it seems, without it being illegal.

If I give her toys, leave the car running with a/c, she should be fine, right?  It's not like she's all that mobile.

• image pixy_stix:

Sweet.  I can lock ZB in the car all day it seems, without it being illegal.

If I give her toys, leave the car running with a/c, she should be fine, right?  It's not like she's all that mobile.

Exactly! You got it all covered. Wink

(tic)

• I got a text today from the PD reminding me it is illegal to leave a kid in the car.

Thankfully, I can still leave SD with her brothers it appears while I grocery shop

• California - illegal for caregiver to leave a child ages 6 years or younger alone in a vehicle without supervision of person over age of 12 when engine is running or keys are in ignition or there are risky conditions present

Does this mean it's OK to leave a 4yo in the car if I turn off the engine and take the keys with me?

Not that I have a car to leave BabyLiu in.

Team Basement Cat image Knitting&Kitties
  • image MrsAJL:

Louisiana - illegal to leave child under age of 6 when car operator is more than 10 feet away from vehicle.

This one blows me away.

How can you grocery shop with a child?  This means you betterabsofuckinglutely get a parking space within ten feet of a cart corral, right?

Get those tape measures out, ladies!

The Girl is 5. The Boy is 2. The Dog is 1.

image image

I am the 99%.
  • image mominatrix:
    image MrsAJL:

This one blows me away.

How can you grocery shop with a child?  This means you betterabsofuckinglutely get a parking space within ten feet of a cart corral, right?

This one is ridiculous!

• image mominatrix:
    image MrsAJL:

This one blows me away.

LOL, for a minute I thought you meant "how can you grocery shop" as in, how can you be in the store shopping for hours while the child is in the car if you can't be more than 10 feet away from the child!

I've got it now though lol.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'm actually really glad you posted this because I didn't know what the law was in Illinois and because of the way our condo is set up, there's really no way to bring in the groceries without leaving PTS in the car for at least a couple minutes and then go park the car.  This usually takes about 5 minutes, so now I can continue to do this with impunity.  Smile

• But, Momi - TN's is worse:

because that means you can't even go 3 feet away from the car.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • image swimbikepuke:

I'm actually really glad you posted this because I didn't know what the law was in Illinois and because of the way our condo is set up, there's really no way to bring in the groceries without leaving PTS in the car for at least a couple minutes and then go park the car.  This usually takes about 5 minutes, so now I can continue to do this with impunity.  Smile

the thing is this...

when you're bringing in groceries, you can either leave your toddler strapped into a carseat while you prop your kitchen door and cart in bags... or you can unbuckle them, and bring them into your house, where they'll be unattended, and where they'll potentially be able to escape to the outside, unattended.

Which is the safer option?

image image

I am the 99%.
  • Wow- I'm pretty stunned that Florida allows you to leave your kid in the car for up to 15 minutes with the engine off.  Have you guys been in a car in July in FL with the engine off and the windows up?  I think that could easily be long enough for hypothermia to set in.
  • image mrsbecky07:

But, Momi - TN's is worse:

Yeah. I love that too.

So, going to the ATM in a freaking parking lot with the car with the kids parked right next to the ATM, seriously close enough that I can talk to the kids in a normal tone of voice... that's illegal in Tennessee.

Way to write a reasonable law.

image image

I am the 99%.
  • image mominatrix:
    image swimbikepuke:

I'm actually really glad you posted this because I didn't know what the law was in Illinois and because of the way our condo is set up, there's really no way to bring in the groceries without leaving PTS in the car for at least a couple minutes and then go park the car.  This usually takes about 5 minutes, so now I can continue to do this with impunity.  Smile

the thing is this...

when you're bringing in groceries, you can either leave your toddler strapped into a carseat while you prop your kitchen door and cart in bags... or you can unbuckle them, and bring them into your house, where they'll be unattended, and where they'll potentially be able to escape to the outside, unattended.

Which is the safer option?

I actually can't do the prop the kitchen door open thing because I live in a condo.  I park the car in the alley, lock it, open the trunk, haul the groceries into the vestibule of the condo and pile them in front of the door to my unit.  Then I go park the car, haul the kid into the condo and bring the groceries in from the vestibule.  I am certain, though, that that is the safer option considering the other one would, as you pointed out, allow her to escape and run out into the street or alley. 

• image swimbikepuke:

I actually can't do the prop the kitchen door open thing because I live in a condo.  I park the car in the alley, lock it, open the trunk, haul the groceries into the vestibule of the condo and pile them in front of the door to my unit.  Then I go park the car, haul the kid into the condo and bring the groceries in from the vestibule.  I am certain, though, that that is the safer option considering the other one would, as you pointed out, allow her to escape and run out into the street or alley. 

Clearly you should lock her in the closet until you are done.  YWIA.

• image mrsbecky07:

But, Momi - TN's is worse:

there was a woman a couple years ago arrested for carrying her donations to the good will dumpster while her kids waited in the car.

• Reading all these posts it seems impossible NOT to leave a child unattended in the car at some point -- but I really haven't.  I guess I don't feel that this inconveniences me all that much. 

• image LvcyHoneychrrch:

Reading all these posts it seems impossible NOT to leave a child unattended in the car at some point -- but I really haven't.  I guess I don't feel that this inconveniences me all that much. 

Never ever?

You've never left your toddler sleeping while you brought bags into your house? You've never left a child in the car while you grabbed mail from the mailbox, or dropped a video in a slot, or used an outdoor ATM? 

If you've gotten your child(ren) in the car, and realized you've forgotten some little thing in the house, you've unpacked all of them, brought them in, grabbed the item, then put them all back in the car? Every single time in their entire lives?  Even if your H was sticking his head out the door to toss the item to you and you only had to go six feet from the car to catch it?

Wow. You win the:

of the day award.

Yeah, I call BS on "never".

image image

I am the 99%.
  • There is really no call for that.  I'm not judging anyone who does.  I don't think you're a bad mom for leaving the kid(s) in the car; I just never have because of what happened to my friend when I was little.  It's anecdotal and maybe irrational, but it's a real fear I have.  Go ahead and mock me some more though, if it'll make you feel better...

• image LvcyHoneychrrch:

There is really no call for that.  I'm not judging anyone who does.  I don't think you're a bad mom for leaving the kid(s) in the car; I just never have because of what happened to my friend when I was little.  It's anecdotal and maybe irrational, but it's a real fear I have.  Go ahead and mock me some more though, if it'll make you feel better...

I'm actually gobsmacked. Those examples are the way life is, and if you honestly pull your kids from the car in those instances, you have way way WAY more energy than me, or pretty much anybody I know.

image image

I am the 99%.
  • image mominatrix:
    image LvcyHoneychrrch:

There is really no call for that.  I'm not judging anyone who does.  I don't think you're a bad mom for leaving the kid(s) in the car; I just never have because of what happened to my friend when I was little.  It's anecdotal and maybe irrational, but it's a real fear I have.  Go ahead and mock me some more though, if it'll make you feel better...

I'm actually gobsmacked. Those examples are the way life is, and if you honestly pull your kids from the car in those instances, you have way way WAY more energy than me, or pretty much anybody I know.

I'm hardly alone in not leaving my kid in the car; there were plenty of people in that post below who said essentially the same thing.  I'm not mocking your choices; I'd prefer if you didn't mock mine.  I'm not harming anyone or judging anyone, but damn, am I feeling judged right now.

• image mominatrix:

If you've gotten your child(ren) in the car, and realized you've forgotten some little thing in the house, you've unpacked all of them, brought them in, grabbed the item, then put them all back in the car? Every single time in their entire lives?  Even if your H was sticking his head out the door to toss the item to you and you only had to go six feet from the car to catch it?

Wow. You win the:

of the day award.

Yeah, I call BS on "never".

This one gets me all the time.  Cell phone.  Gym bag. Kid's school bag.  BREAKFAST.  Once a week, I "sonuvabitch" my way back into my house to get something I forgot.

Breakin' the law breakin' the law:

imageimage

• Re: forgetting something on the way out -- yes, I've done this; but our cars are in a closed garage.

• image LvcyHoneychrrch:
    image mominatrix:
    image LvcyHoneychrrch:

I'm hardly alone in not leaving my kid in the car; there were plenty of people in that post below who said essentially the same thing.  I'm not mocking your choices; I'd prefer if you didn't mock mine.  I'm not harming anyone or judging anyone, but damn, am I feeling judged right now.

Given how you've treated me in the past, I really don't give a ratsass if you're "feeling judged" by me right now.  I think I've earned the right to be a little snippy toward you.

image image

I am the 99%.
  • No, we should just start a separate thread to mock everyone that has never left their kids in the car.
    Green Cleaning Recipes
    ~Be a Good Wife ~ Updated 3.30.12 - Smell Like A Dirty Hippy
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
  • Really?  What did I do to you?  I don't remember.  But okay, if you say so, snip away.  lol.
  • In some of these scenarios, including the one SS cited about putting donations in the Goodwill dumpster, I honestly think it would be more dangerous for me to take my toddler out of the car and try to bring him with me.  I can't put that kid down for a second without him trying to run out into traffic or something.  I think it's a lot safer strapped into his car seat if my arms are full and I can't carry him to where I am going.
  • image LvcyHoneychrrch:
    Really?  What did I do to you?  I don't remember.  But okay, if you say so, snip away.  lol.

Good to know you're sweet as cream to the entire Nest.  Must have caught you on an off day.

image image

I am the 99%.
  • image mominatrix:

image LvcyHoneychrrch:
    Really?  What did I do to you?  I don't remember.  But okay, if you say so, snip away.  lol.

Good to know you're sweet as cream to the entire Nest.  Must have caught you on an off day.

I don't recall ever saying I was sweet as cream to the entire Nest.  If I did, can you tell me when?