Decorating & Renovating

Spray paint a kitchen aid mixer?

Moved into a house with black appliances and my mixer is white. Didn't want to spend the money on a new one. Do you think I could spray paint it?
Tyler in Aruba October 2011 image

Re: Spray paint a kitchen aid mixer?

• I wouldn't try it.  Too much to mask or take apart, and it would suck if you didn't like the results.  Why not post your dilemma on craigslist and see if you can find one to swap?
  • Not sure that I would want to spay paint an expensive piece like that, unless your having it out on the countertop all the time I wouldn't worry about it. I am not sure if you could spray paint it or if it would be safe to, if it started chipping and then ending up in your food. JMO
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If you really feel the need to paint it, I suggest you take it to an auto body place and let them paint it professionally, but I don't think it will be cheap.

Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't get bent out of shape over a mixer that doesn't match the applicances.

• Just leave it. White is at least a neutral.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    TTC Baby #2 - BFP on 12/14/11 @ 10DPO - CP confirmed 12/18/11
    BFP #2 on 1/13/12
  • Why not try googling for KA mixer stickers....maybe they have some fun black ones that you could stick on your mixer to help it blend in better.  I know they have flames -- saw it on a cooking show -- so they're bound to have a variety of stickers.
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Ditto reysgirl. I'd take it to autobody if you really want it done.

However, I think black and white match just fine even if it sitting on the counter. The contrast might even be nice.

I just wouldn't trust spray paint on a mixer. I don't think it'd come out even or well covered. That and I'm not anal about food safety at all..but all that spray paint would freak me out.

How about buying some black decals/vinyl art to put on your mixer to make it blend in.

• Yeah I thought spray painting it would be risky too. I guess I can't leave it on the counter anymore - will have to put it away unless I am using it. I can always ask Santa for a new one.
  • I wouldn't risk doing it...although I wonder if Alton Brown's flame mixer was a DIY job or if he had people do it for him. I did see where you could get stickers/decals, but I don't think that's what his is. 

• I wouldn't worry about it. Honestly, it's no big deal.

• I wouldn't want to risk it. White is a neutral, so it could probably still work, at least its not one that is brightly colored!
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I wouldn't worry about it at all. ?I don't think that a mixer has to match your appliances. ?Kitchen aid mixers come in colors like red, pink, and yellow, and I know that NOBODY has appliances that color. ?I don't think a mixer has to match the appliances, it should just not clash with them.
  • image decemberwedding07:
    I wouldn't worry about it at all.  I don't think that a mixer has to match your appliances.  Kitchen aid mixers come in colors like red, pink, and yellow, and I know that NOBODY has appliances that color.  I don't think a mixer has to match the appliances, it should just not clash with them.

Good point! I didn't even think about that.