Gardening & Landscaping

Snow - are my peas & lettuce ruined?

stupid snow. I just planted a week ago and now we have snow! Well, it's melted now. Do I need to worry about it or will they be OK?

Re: Snow - are my peas & lettuce ruined?

• Peas and lettuce are pretty hardy. My gardening book (The Moosewood Restaurant Kitchen Garden) advises planting peas 4 to 6 weeks before the last Spring frost, so I'm sure they considered that in cooler climated it is possible for snow to happen.

It's not snowing here in Iowa, but it's damn col and rainy. We had a high of 36 degrees today. I went out to check on my broccoli, spinach, kale, and onions and they were all doing marvelously, so your little guys might have a chance. I hope they survive!

Neena Mae. 1/7/10
    "A baby nursing at a mother's breast is an undeniable affirmation of our rootedness in nature." - David Suzuki
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I meant to ask you if they've sprouted or not? If they haven't sprouted you might be out of luck since peas don't like heavy wet soil. :-(
    Neena Mae. 1/7/10
    "A baby nursing at a mother's breast is an undeniable affirmation of our rootedness in nature." - David Suzuki
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • image Jennrs:
    I meant to ask you if they've sprouted or not? If they haven't sprouted you might be out of luck since peas don't like heavy wet soil. :-(

I haven't checked. Luckily I have plenty of seeds left. How long should I give it before replanting? 

• Hi Wendy!  I'm sure your plants are okay.  The lettuce we didn't pick in the fall looked fine in the spring after the thaw.  I pulled and composted it, but I think if it looked okay after a winter of snow, yours are going to be okay after a day.  I like to plant peas and lettuce in 3 week spurts to give me a a few harvests before the warm weather.  Good luck!
    Willa 4.6.06 and Henry 10.18.08 Camp Sinki