What's Cooking?

Cake pops - how many do they yield?

Lurker here!  I've never made cake pops, but am thinking of making them for Easter. 

I've seen the instructions floating around here and had a few questions. (Of course if all this answered in your blog, just point me there.)

1. Approximately how many would you get from one box of cake mix and 3/4 tub of frosting?  I plan to make them on the smaller size.

2. How far in advance can I make them for Sunday?  Friday or Saturday?  I mean the completed product. I will make the cake the day before I intend to make the balls/pops.

3.  I read on one recipe to freeze the balls before attempting to dip in the chocolate/candy.  Then another said the refrigerator because freezing them would cause the outside coating to crack.  Which do you go?

4. How do you store them?  Room temp covered?

Thank you in advance. 

Re: Cake pops - how many do they yield?

• 1. It will yield about 42-48 cake balls depending on size.

2. I wouldn't make them any more than 3 days ahead of time.

3. You put the formed cake ball into the freezer for about 15 minutes or the fridge for a couple of hours to firm them up, but don't let them actually freeze or that will cause the candy coating to crack. :)

4. Store them in an air-tight container at room temp.

Hope this helps and good luck! I made cake balls for the first time a week or so ago!

• That makes sense. Thanks.
  • Where can I find a recipe for these? Are they good?

After awhile, you just want to be with the one who makes you laugh. - Mr. Big

• In case you wanted to make them a little ahead of the weekend....I made them in advance of my boys' birthday and I froze them. I laid the completed cake pops in a long tupperware and seperated the layers with wax paper.  I had only decorated them with the melted candy melts and sprinkles so there was not elaborate decorations that could get messed up.

I took them out the morning of the party and they tasted fresh and moist.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • image kanels11:
    Where can I find a recipe for these? Are they good?

I actually purchased the Cake Pops book by Bakerella on Amazon (about $11) and they were delicious!! However, I am sure you can find recipes online. I think Bakerella may have at least a couple on her website.