Money Matters

WWYD: Blowing your nose at work

If your desk is in a cubicle and you need to blow your nose (you have allergies or something), do you do it at your desk or do it in the bathroom?

Re: WWYD: Blowing your nose at work

• I do it at my desk. If I didn't, I'd be in the bathroom about 45 times on a day like today. I apologize to my cube neighbor in advance in the morning. Fortunately, we're friendly and I don't think she cares.
  • I do it in my office.  I have terrible allergies.  If I had to go to the bathroom every time I had to blow my nose, I would never get any work done.
  • at my cube. I blow my nose all day long.
    Emma - March '08 Quinn - August '11
    Need help with high fat food ideas? Chunky Monkey
  • At my desk, but I'm also relatively discreet about it.  I'm not a loud nose-blower.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• desk.
    No amount of education could convince Betty to be nice to possums
  • Not in a cubicle but still in earshot of several co-workers - I blow it at my desk
    image image image image

• Desk.  Too bad if they have to hear you.  As long as it's not ridiculously loud, I don't see a problem with it.
  • why on earth would someone go to the bathroom?

please don't tell me someone is comparing nose blowing to actual going to the bathroom.

• I do it in my office, but if I were at a cube, I think I'd head for the restroom.
  • Unless I'm super sick/have an all day runny nose, I go to the bathroom.  My problem lately has been my cough, and I've stepped out of the office when I've gotten a tickle that won't stop.

I don't mind people blowing their nose at their desk if they're sick/have the all day runny nose.  But if you're an obnoxious blower (not even trying to be discreet/sorta quiet about it) it will annoy me.  Co-irker that faces me (with only a cube wall between us) used to do it all the time and it drove me nuts, esp. at lunchtime.  Try to be quiet, step into the hallway or a corner of the office, go to the bathroom... there are ways to be courteous to your cubemates.

• image brideofaussie:

why on earth would someone go to the bathroom?

please don't tell me someone is comparing nose blowing to actual going to the bathroom.

No, but nose blowing is a bathroom activity, as is coughing up a lung.  I can see having to blow your nose at your desk, but like I said, obnoxious/loud nose blowing is annoying.

• image brideofaussie:

If I'm stuffed up to the point of really needing to blow my nose, it's going to be loud and disgusting.  I'd prefer to do that in privacy so as not to gross out my colleagues.  I don't need to blow that often, though.     

If it's just a little wipe of the nose, or a quick sniff into a tissue, no big whoop - but honestly, not washing your hands after snotting into a Kleenex is an easy way to spread germs.  I may as well go to the restroom where I can wash my hands afterwards.   

• I do the desk thing, but I do keep hand sanitizer on my desk.

• Blow the nose at the desk then at least use hand sanitizer.  I'd rather listen to nose blowing than snot sniffling.

• image groovingirl:
    image brideofaussie:

No, but nose blowing is a bathroom activity, as is coughing up a lung.  I can see having to blow your nose at your desk, but like I said, obnoxious/loud nose blowing is annoying.

WTF? Apparently, as far as you are concerned, all of us with allergy-induced constantly running noses should be setting up our desks in the bathroom. Taking a dump is a bathroom activity. Blowing your nose is perfectly acceptable in public.

Is sneezing a "bathroom activity" too? Are you the person that wrote my college health ins policy that only covered ER visits if they were pre-approved?

• a little runny nose. fine at the desk. a nasty snot filled gross, multi tissue blow fest. please go to the bathroom. and then wash your hands. 
    June 13, 2009 ~ Ocho Rios, Jamaica
  • At my desk. Unless I have a cold and need to blow snot like from the back of my brain out my nose. Then I excuse myself. But I see no reason to leave my desk for normal nose blowing.
  • I am a  quiet nose-blower and do it at my desk. Dude six rows over who sounds like a foghorn should take it out to the hallway.
  • image EastCoastBride:
    At my desk, but I'm also relatively discreet about it.  I'm not a loud nose-blower.

This.  I may sneeze like a trucker but I blow my nose like a lady. Wink

Photobucket
  • Here's the rules:

Do what you've got to do. Keep tissues and hand sanitizer nearby. Don't make a lot of noise.

That's it. No need to walk away. Sometimes getting up can be more distracting than just going ahead and using a tissue at your desk. Whatever you do though, don't honk.

• image Velvetshady:
    image groovingirl:
    image brideofaussie:

WTF? Apparently, as far as you are concerned, all of us with allergy-induced constantly running noses should be setting up our desks in the bathroom. Taking a dump is a bathroom activity. Blowing your nose is perfectly acceptable in public.

Is sneezing a "bathroom activity" too? Are you the person that wrote my college health ins policy that only covered ER visits if they were pre-approved?

I don't work at a desk, so maybe I don't count, but I like to go to the bathroom.  It drives me nuts when coworkers blow their nose in the unit and don't go to the bathroom, even if it's just allergies (which it should be or you shouldn't be at work).  However, I'm a NICU nurse and we're pretty strict about germs in the unit.  I think parents and visitors would give their nurse the side eye if they're blowing their nose in front of them (even though it is always followed by hand washing and hand sanitizer).

My Bio
    Blog
    Miles Alister. 9.17.2007. 8# 6oz 21.5inches
    Isla Penelope. 10.21.2010. 8# 3oz 21 inches
    2 Months 11# 6oz 23.5 inches
    4 Months 13# 6oz 25 inches
    6 Months 14# 15oz 27 inches
    9 Months 17# 10oz 28 inches
    12 Months 19# 10oz 28.75 inches
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image uppereastgirl:
    I do it in my office.  I have terrible allergies.  If I had to go to the bathroom every time I had to blow my nose, I would never get any work done.

Same for me.

• image groovingirl:
    image brideofaussie:

No, urinating and defacating and hand washing are bathroom activities.

I can see excusing yourself out in the hall or whatever if it's really *that* bad.

But coughing and nose blowing as bathroom activities?  No.  That would mean people w/ a simple cold would be confined to the bathroom for the duration of it.  That's ridiculous.

• I hardly have time to run to the bathroom to actually use the bathroom.  I can't imagine wasting time running to the bathroom to blow my nose. LOL
  • Do it at your desk. People who make a big deal out of this are weird. I mean, if you have to seriously blow a load out, then get up and go to the bathroom, but just a random light blow to clear your nostrils out? Stay where you are.
  • Go to the bathroom, unless you have a nasty cold.  If you have a nasty cold, keep a box of tissues at your desk and blow *quietly* as needed.

In either case, wash hands or use sanitizer after so when tech support comes to fix your computer, they do not catch your cold by touching your keyboard/mouse. 

• image 154lbs:
    image brideofaussie:

If I'm stuffed up to the point of really needing to blow my nose, it's going to be loud and disgusting.  I'd prefer to do that in privacy so as not to gross out my colleagues.  I don't need to blow that often, though.     

If it's just a little wipe of the nose, or a quick sniff into a tissue, no big whoop - but honestly, not washing your hands after snotting into a Kleenex is an easy way to spread germs.  I may as well go to the restroom where I can wash my hands afterwards.   

Yes