Money Matters

prepackaged salad greens taste funny to me.

anyone else?  bagged spinach seems to be fine. 

but prepackaged anything else tastes odd...romaine, salad blends, etc.  i've tried many brands too, so i know it's not one particular brand.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: prepackaged salad greens taste funny to me.

• ~NB~~NB~
    5000 Comments Combo Breaker
    Not at all. I eat the hell out of those Earthbound Farms salads. I've also tred Dole and a couple of other brands, and they all tasted okay, but I prefer the Earthbound Farms ones.
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • ITA, it just doesn't taste fresh.  I like buying a fresh head of lettuce at the farmers market and cutting it myself, so much fresher that way!
  • yesss. there's a slightly funky smell to them, and I can taste that smell when I eat them. Spinach is the exception.
  • I find the packaged lettuces are OK, but they go off a lot faster than simply using a normal head of lettuce.

Our best solution to lettuce, at present, is to use the aerogarden to grow it.  They've got a "mesclun mix" set of seed packs that are pretty good.  When you want a salad, you simply grab a bowl/plate, walk over to the aerogarden, and pick whatever lettuce you want.  Or, if you're silly like me, you just grab an occassional piece of lettuce and chomp down.  :)

The only problem comes if you eat a _lot_ of lettuce, because then the aerogarden can't keep up and grow enough...

• They do taste a bit better if you wash them again.  I can tell if DH skips it, they have a weird chemical taste.   DH finally just bought a lettuce keeper and cuts up his own salad mix. 

Cancer sucks.
  • a) They smell funny to me and b) They don't really taste like anything.

But my taste buds are off, since I grow my own 9 months out of the year. Have you tried Organic Girl salad blends? They come in a plastic container instead of a baggie. And they're expensive as fvck...

• I agree; they taste like chemicals.  The organic ones are a bit better - Earthbound etc.  And the baby lettuces and spinach are far better than romaine. I think they must have to treat romaine more because the leaves are pre-torn? I don't know, just a theory.  But none of them are as quite good as "fresh."
    Quincy and Dexter, new BFFs

I used to be kris216.
  • I don't like the taste of those little bags either.

I've started buying whole romaines.  Sams has 5 in a bag, Kroger has 3 in a bag.

I can chop one and it's good for 2 dinner salads.  For full meal salad, I eat a whole one myself.  and they do keep pretty well, even if we don't eat one every day.

I buy a big container of spinach, too.  We eat it steamed, on a sandwich, or in a protein smoothie with fruit.

• For the longest time I couldn't eat salads at home. I couldn't figure it out until one day I was talking to a friend who asked how I buy my salad greens. I told her the bag because it is a great portion size for the DH and me. She had the same problem until she switched to fresh.  My inlaws started growing their own and now I can't stop eating salads at home.