June 2008 Weddings
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Is anyone here a school counselor?

(Brooke, I know you do something similar...)

I was just wondering if anyone here does this that I wasn't aware of, or knows someone personally who is a school/ guidance counselor.   

Married in 2008 - DD born in 2010 - EDD 6.15.2012!

Re: Is anyone here a school counselor?

• i thought of brooke...
    image image
  • image Casperdy:
    i thought of brooke...

Yep, Brooke is a school psychologist so they differ in a few ways (more in depth evaluations and IEP stuff vs. college applications, course selections, typical high school drama, etc.).  I'm looking into some masters programs and looking for insight :) 

• I got about halfway through the master program in school counseling. I loved it, but I realized that the things I disliked about teaching would be similar in counseling in a school setting and I just couldn't handle that setting any more.

My cousin and I were actually going through the program at the same time and she finished. She was a school counselor for a year but moved to PA when she married her husband and the positions up there are much more difficult to get.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • i know someone who is a child therapist who used to practice in the schools. her cohort was recently yanked to another position so she works out of the clinic with me now since she doesn't have time to travel to the 4 schools. but if you're looking more guidance, this is specifically mental health.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image Lisa and Mickey:

I got about halfway through the master program in school counseling. I loved it, but I realized that the things I disliked about teaching would be similar in counseling in a school setting and I just couldn't handle that setting any more.

My cousin and I were actually going through the program at the same time and she finished. She was a school counselor for a year but moved to PA when she married her husband and the positions up there are much more difficult to get.

Lisa, if you don't mind my asking, what was it specifically that made you turn away from the program?  There are many things I didn't exactly love about teaching, so I don't want to get into this (emotionally and financially) if it's not going to be right for me.  If you share, I might be able to make a better decision.  Thank you!! 

• image Mrs.MillerJune2008:
    i know someone who is a child therapist who used to practice in the schools. her cohort was recently yanked to another position so she works out of the clinic with me now since she doesn't have time to travel to the 4 schools. but if you're looking more guidance, this is specifically mental health.

Thanks for your reply!  I think this degree is different because it specifically focuses on being a school guidance counselor versus doing something more in depth with mental health.  I am hoping school counseling will be a nice balance of helping kids through situations and also helping to guide their futures, which is something I enjoyed about teaching in general.  :) 

• Kim- would you want to do HS?  Just asking cause our guidance counselor is a good friend of mine and she generally loves her job.  At the elementary level she holds support groups for those kids going through divorces, loss of a parent, etc.  She also does social groups to help certain kids learn how to socialize.  She is doing a lot of stuff with bullying now. She also deals with any daily crisis we might have.  However, she also sets up all our state testing and makes sure everything gets done.  She hates that part of her job, but loves working with the kids. 
  • I'm starting my masters in school counseling this fall. I signed up for it last year and backed out last minute because I wasn't sure. This year I'm sure!!

I have a really good friend who is a school counselor and I know she absolutely loves it. There are of course some things she doesn't like (but I think there would be something with every job). She said especially as a mom it is good because the planning, etc. isn't there with her job anymore. She coaches volleyball too, so she gets interaction with more kids that way, which she said was something she missed at first.

• My cousin is a guidance counselor at an elementary school. She hates working with the younger kids and wants to find a position in a high school, where it's more college direction oriented. She said she spends a lot of her time now playing games with the kiddos and it's not what she really wanted to do when she graduated.
  • Thanks for the insights everyone.  I think I have made up my mind todo it.  I just have to decide when I'll apply... it's going to take awhile anyway since I'm only going to take 1-2 classes at a time.

image Rangergal9:
    Kim- would you want to do HS?  Just asking cause ourguidance counselor is a good friend of mine and she generally loves herjob.  At the elementary level she holds support groups for those kidsgoing through divorces, loss of a parent, etc.  She also does socialgroups to help certain kids learn how to socialize.  She is doing a lotof stuff with bullying now. She also deals with any daily crisis wemight have.  However, she also sets up all our state testing and makessure everything gets done.  She hates that part of her job, but lovesworking with the kids. 

Melissa, it's a k-12 endorsement,so while I think I would probably be better qualified to work with highschoolers with my secondary experience, I would absolutely be fine withworking with any age level.  I love working with elementary studentsjust as much as high school kids, so it's great to hear about what theydo at that level.

• image *starcrossd*:
    image Lisa and Mickey:

I got about halfway through the master program in school counseling. I loved it, but I realized that the things I disliked about teaching would be similar in counseling in a school setting and I just couldn't handle that setting any more.

Lisa, if you don't mind my asking, what was it specifically that made you turn away from the program?  There are many things I didn't exactly love about teaching, so I don't want to get into this (emotionally and financially) if it's not going to be right for me.  If you share, I might be able to make a better decision.  Thank you!! 

Sorry it took so long for me to get back and I see you've made up your mind, but I'll put it out there anyway. I really don't think my reasons would change your mind since you loved teaching. 

My major concern was that I would not be able to "turn it off" which was a problem I had with teaching. I never felt like I did enough. When I would sit down at night to watch tv or I went out with my friends I always had guilt because there was something else that needed to get done.

My other concerns were also similar to my concerns about teaching. The high stakes testing driving everything (some how the counselors in our county ended up very involved in the admin part of testing) and other duties I saw counselors in my county being forced to take on that had nothing to do with their jobs.

I loved the program I was in and I love the direction school counseling is headed in general. In the model I was learning counselors met one on one with kids and ran small needs based groups (like organization skills, making friends, etc) and also went into classrooms and taught lessons. They really got to work with all the students in the school. I taught at 2 schools one with a counselor who followed this model and one counselor who did not. You could see how much more effective the counselor who followed that model was. She had a relationship with every student in the school so if there was a problem and they needed one on one they did not hesitate to talk to her because they were already so comfortable.

I don't think you'll regret your decision. I think it is something that would suit you well and I can see it being very satisfying. I wanted to do it because the part of teaching I loved was my relationships with students and making a difference. I think that I would have gotten that with counseling. I would suggest starting with an intro to counseling class (sounds like a given but I think my program didn't suggest it until the third or fourth class). I really felt like I got a good overview in that class.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • image Lisa and Mickey:
    image *starcrossd*:
    image Lisa and Mickey:

Sorry it took so long for me to get back and I see you've made up your mind, but I'll put it out there anyway. I really don't think my reasons would change your mind since you loved teaching. 

My major concern was that I would not be able to "turn it off" which was a problem I had with teaching. I never felt like I did enough. When I would sit down at night to watch tv or I went out with my friends I always had guilt because there was something else that needed to get done.

My other concerns were also similar to my concerns about teaching. The high stakes testing driving everything (some how the counselors in our county ended up very involved in the admin part of testing) and other duties I saw counselors in my county being forced to take on that had nothing to do with their jobs.

I loved the program I was in and I love the direction school counseling is headed in general. In the model I was learning counselors met one on one with kids and ran small needs based groups (like organization skills, making friends, etc) and also went into classrooms and taught lessons. They really got to work with all the students in the school. I taught at 2 schools one with a counselor who followed this model and one counselor who did not. You could see how much more effective the counselor who followed that model was. She had a relationship with every student in the school so if there was a problem and they needed one on one they did not hesitate to talk to her because they were already so comfortable.

I don't think you'll regret your decision. I think it is something that would suit you well and I can see it being very satisfying. I wanted to do it because the part of teaching I loved was my relationships with students and making a difference. I think that I would have gotten that with counseling. I would suggest starting with an intro to counseling class (sounds like a given but I think my program didn't suggest it until the third or fourth class). I really felt like I got a good overview in that class.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write that out.  I really do appreciate it!

I often had the same problems learning to "shut off" while teaching.  In my old district, things were bad-- really bad.  Some of the things the kids would tell me were things out of nightmares.  We actually had workshops ran by the district psychologist on how to down shift at the end of the day.  Thankfully I learned some good tools and I think they'll apply in the future for a counseling job.   

I do hate how involved counselors are in the testing process but it's something I'm willing to deal with.  

Thanks again!