Health & Fitness
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Help with long runs (5 1/2 weeks until 1/2)

Hi Ladies.

I am training for my first 1/2 marathon on Mother's Day.  I am following Hal Higdon's novie training guide for it.  My remaining long runs are as follows: 7, 8, 6.2 (10k), 9, 10 and 1/2 marathon.  My friend who is running it with me is concerned that I might not be building enough high mileage beforehand.  (I have never run more than a 10k distance before).  I run an additional 2-3x per week and also a cross training day (so working out 5-6 days per week, if that makes sense).  The mileage varies, but this week, for instance, I have run 9 miles throughout the week.  Can you suggest a plan for my remaining long runs?  Thanks.

Re: Help with long runs (5 1/2 weeks until 1/2)

• Hal Higdon's novice plan is great for your first half marathon -- a lot of ladies here will agree with me.  I've used it for multiple half marathons and been just fine on race day.  Your scheduled long runs are sufficient.  I'd just stick with the plan.
    #PerfectStrangers

2012 Races:
    1/28 - Planet Adventure night trail 1/4-marathon - 1:25:47
    3/24 - Sam Costa half marathon - 2:02:47
    4/14 - Hoosier 10 miler - 1:25:21 (8:32) PR!
    7/8 - XTERRA Freedom Fest Hawaii 10K
    9/1 - Indianapolis Women's Half Marathon
    10/20 - Indianapolis Marathon Relay
    11/4 - Monumental Marathon (full marathon #2)
    11/22 - Drumstick Dash 4.5mi
  • The novice plans are generally designed simply to get you across the finish line in one piece - that's why you're not running 13 miles until race day!

But if you wanted to, you could definitely bump the 10 up to an 11 or add a couple of extra miles to your weekday runs.  Just be smart and be sure not to add too quickly - 10% per week, max is a good rule of thumb.

Blog:
    Blog: Eat, Drink and Run
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Last Race: California International Marathon - December 4, 2011 - 3:29:18, 7:59 pace
    Next Race: ARun for Young 5K - January 7, 2012
  • You'll be fine with the plan you've got. You'll have enough gusto on race day to finish the final 5k.
  • I did my first half last weekend and my longest run prior to the race was 10.  It was fine.  As long as your weekly mileage is 20-25, you shoildshould be fine.
  • If you can do 10, you can do a 1/2.