Health & Fitness
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Racing w/ someone faster?

If you sign up for a race and run it with another person who is much faster, do you try to keep up with them, tell them to just go on, or have them run at your pace?

I'm running my first 5k in April.  I usually run by myself but a good friend of mine offered to run the race with me.  I'm really excited about that.  However, his average pace is about 2.5 minutes per mile faster than mine.  He knows that I can't run that fast so I'm sure he will slow down for me.... but then I will probably be self conscious and speed up knowing I'm going too slow for him. 

BFP #1 (DS, 10/98), BFP #2 (DD, 10/09)
BFP #3 -mm/c @ 7wks, discovered at 9wks, D&C 9/28
Picture
Current Status: TTA
~~PGAL/PAL Always Welcome!~~

Re: Racing w/ someone faster?

• if he's offered to run with you, i thnk it's understood that he'll slow down to your pace.
    ExerciseMilestone
  • Thank you.  I think I'm just really nervous about this race and freaking out about every little thing.  I'm driving myself crazy.  This next month is going to be a long one.
    BFP #1 (DS, 10/98), BFP #2 (DD, 10/09)
    BFP #3 -mm/c @ 7wks, discovered at 9wks, D&C 9/28
    Picture
    Current Status: TTA
    ~~PGAL/PAL Always Welcome!~~
  • image al320:
    if he's offered to run with you, i thnk it's understood that he'll slow down to your pace.

my thought exactly.

Baby Girl! Coming May 1, 2013

[IMG]http://i46.tinypic.com/novhwp.jpg[/IMG]
  • image al320:
    if he's offered to run with you, i thnk it's understood that he'll slow down to your pace.

This.

It will be hard to keep yourself in check and run at your pace in your very first race -- all the excitement will make you want to run faster.  Just try to enjoy yourself and run at the pace you know you're comfortable with.

Good luck!

#PerfectStrangers

2012 Races:
    1/28 - Planet Adventure night trail 1/4-marathon - 1:25:47
    3/24 - Sam Costa half marathon - 2:02:47
    4/14 - Hoosier 10 miler - 1:25:21 (8:32) PR!
    7/8 - XTERRA Freedom Fest Hawaii 10K
    9/1 - Indianapolis Women's Half Marathon
    10/20 - Indianapolis Marathon Relay
    11/4 - Monumental Marathon (full marathon #2)
    11/22 - Drumstick Dash 4.5mi
  • image ZAngel:
    Thank you.  I think I'm just really nervous about this race and freaking out about every little thing.  I'm driving myself crazy.  This next month is going to be a long one.

you'll do great!  try not to be nervous, just train as best you can and you'll do great!

ExerciseMilestone
  • Yes dont be nervous, Youre going to do great! Just have fun and run at your own pace... It seems like your partner will run at your pace and I think youre going to have a great time!
    image ExerciseMilestone
  • image al320:

And I'd have a discussion with about your race strategy so the expected pace is mutually understood.

Follow me to AtlantaRunningMom.comStay on. Keep on. - Team MARATHON Bars 2012[IMG]http://i55.tinypic.com/14kd5r4.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i1071.photobucket.com/albums/u501/lbellxc/NYCMarathonBadge-1.jpg[/IMG]
  • image runblondie26:

image al320:

And I'd have a discussion with about your race strategy so the expected pace is mutually understood.

Exactly what blondie said.  I love running with my husband (who is twice as fast as I am) because we go over my strategy and he does a great job of pacing me - keeps me from going out too fast and motivates me when I get tired at the end

• my bff was going to run my first with me but she is MUCH faster then me. she got me going then I said go ahead. I knew I would spend my time worrying about her being slow for me and didn't need that in my head. I know she didn't care but I was already just trying to make sure I got through it I didn't want to be worrying about her too. It was great to see her at the finish cheering for me as I crossed too :)
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers image
  • sometimes i like to run with my friends - i dont care if they are slower.  he probably wants to be supportive because he likes you.  enjoy his company.
    Training blogTwins and Triathlons

Post Partum PRs:
    5k: 18:32; 5k with stroller: 20:32; Half Mary: 1:32:40; Oly tri: 2:28:52; sprint tri (750meter swim): 1:11:49

Up Next:
    Breaking all my PRs[url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thebump.com/tools/tickers/tt3205c.aspx[/img][/url]
  • image runblondie26:

image al320:

Word. Try to keep your natural pace, especially at the start.  Taking off too fast may hinder the rest of the race.

GL!