Oklahoma Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Epidural

I seem to be one of the only ones here who doesn't mind an epidural, or at least of those who responded to the poll. I figure I am not going to get a tooth pulled without medicine, so why should I push an 8 lbs baby out of my body without using safe, available pain medicine.

So, explain the other side. Why go natural? 

I'm not looking to be swung to the other side. Just understand the perspective.

And please don't tell me about linkages to issues that are not scientifically proven to be caused by epidural (ie, children born with an epidural smoke more pot, have poorer grades, etc)

Re: Epidural

• I didn't respond to the poll, but you're not alone. You bet your asss I want an epidural!
    "Always have faith in God, yourself, and the Cowboys...'-Eddie Sutton

• image OUKap:

I seem to be one of the only ones here who doesn't mind an epidural, or at least of those who responded to the poll. I figure I am not going to get a tooth pulled without medicine, so why should I push an 8 lbs baby out of my body without using safe, available pain medicine.

So, explain the other side. Why go natural? 

I'm not looking to be swung to the other side. Just understand the perspective.

And please don't tell me about linkages to issues that are not scientifically proven to be caused by epidural (ie, children born with an epidural smoke more pot, have poorer grades, etc)

There are several reasons why I decided I wanted to deliver without an epidural the second time around, mostly because having one increases the likelihood of a c-section.  I wanted to push according to my body's own cues and to be able to push effectively instead of having someone else telling me to push and not really being able to feel what was happening to gauge if I was pushing correctly/well.

My first birth was done with an epidural, and it was not a bad experience at all, but my recovery was MUCH easier the second time around and I think it had a lot to do with the fact that I was pushing according to my own feelings and instincts rather than pushing too hard because I couldn't feel what was going on.

As far as the bolded in your quote above, to me, having a tooth pulled is not really a good comparison with labor/birth because giving birth is something a woman's body is "designed" for (for lack of a better word - evolved for, maybe?  =P).  For me, the pain that is associated is just something that's part of a natural process, not something medical that needs to be "fixed."

ETA:  This is a site that lays out how an epidural usually goes down as well as the benefits and potential side effects for the mother and problems it can cause during delivery.

http://www.transitiontoparenthood.com/ttp/parented/pain/epidural.htm 

• I enjoyed my epidural, I'm not gonna lie. I have not done the research myself since I'm not pregnant and don't plan to be for a long time, but apparently an epidural can cause difficulties breastfeeding. Since I would like to breastfeed, that may cause a problem. I think that if it hurts to the point where I'm miserable--fine, let me have one. But I've never experienced a contraction without pitocin involved to know how bad natural ones are. Do what you feel is best...I certainly wouldn't judge anyone for an epidural.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • image BoyMom21:
    I enjoyed my epidural, I'm not gonna lie. I have not done the research myself since I'm not pregnant and don't plan to be for a long time, but apparently an epidural can cause difficulties breastfeeding. Since I would like to breastfeed, that may cause a problem. I think that if it hurts to the point where I'm miserable--fine, let me have one. But I've never experienced a contraction without pitocin involved to know how bad natural ones are. Do what you feel is best...I certainly wouldn't judge anyone for an epidural.

This is me, just about down to a T. Next time, I'll go natural as long as I can, especially since I'd like to try breastfeeding again - but I won't judge. My epidural wore off toward the end, but it did the job, and I'd be fine with getting another one. We'll see. 

[url=http://charmedkindoflife.blogspot.com/].:.Charmed Kind of Life [2.17.13].:.[/url]
  • All I know is that people with spinal fusions can't get them. That's all I got. 
  • There are advantages to getting an epidural and there are advantages to not getting one. I think it is a personal choice. Only you can decide how much you can tolerate.

I had an epidural before I was ready for it. Having one can increase your chances of having a c-section since you can not get up and walk around to help the baby or possibly push effectively.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Anniversary
  • It is your baby and your body - you need to do what makes you feel more comfortable. Don't allow peer pressure to talk you into doing something you are not comfortable. If you want a scheduled C Section, go for it. If you want to have your baby au naturel, go for it. If you want to have your baby in your whirlpool tub in your master bathroom, go for it.  My opinion is this:  Of the two sexes, we are the only one given the priviledge to give birth.  As females, we need to stick together rather than tear one another down because one's preference of childbirth is different than our own.

*stepping off of soapbox*

image My man, Keiffer, in his latest mug shot. Isn't he so hot?
  • My epi failed. It worked for two hours and then they couldn't figure out what happened. So, I did the rest of my labor (6 hours) with nothing. But, one of my legs was numb so I couldn't get up and move around to relieve the pain.

It's rare but it happens. I'm all for going as long as possible without it this time simply because I don't want to be trapped again. If it had worked, I would be telling everyone I know to get one. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I agree with everyone about not judging anyone for having an epidural (it would be stupid if I did since I've had one before). A friend of mine wanted an epidural because the pain of her contractions during transition made her feel out of control and panicky, which surely wouldn't be an ideal way to deliver a baby.  I wanted to avoid the epidural because I felt that not being able to feel what was happening took the birth out of my control, so to me the pain of contractions was worth feeling like I was in control of my own experience as much as possible.   I think it comes down to each woman deciding what is important to her about her own birth experience.   

• My main reason for going without an epidural this time is to avoid another c/s. I feel like my labor was progressing normally with DS and the epidural halted it and that's what took me to the OR (failure to progress).

People have this idea (primarily thanks to the media) that labor is going to be some unbearable, intolerable pain that no woman can bear without medication. I don't look at it that way (anymore). Our bodies were designed to birth babies. I'm not saying it doesn't hurt, it does. But it's not like what you see in the movies where women are screaming bloody murder and cursing their husbands for doing this to them. 

I want to be able to feel my body while in labor. If something does go wrong, I'll be much more in tune to that without an epidural. 

Also, I remember very little from DS's birth because of all the medication I was on. I have a hazy memory of his first few hours of life and I was in and out of sleep for the first 2 days in the hospital. That is not how I wanted to experience birth. 

And I agree with what Critti said. 

• image tavia_martin:

Also, I remember very little from DS's birth because of all the medication I was on. I have a hazy memory of his first few hours of life and I was in and out of sleep for the first 2 days in the hospital. That is not how I wanted to experience birth. 

This also happened during my birth experience. I remember the c-section and seeing M but as soon as they gave me demerol I was so loopy and out of it. I really don't remember going to recovery and the nurse bringing M to me.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Anniversary
  • I didn't answer the poll and don't even know if I'll have kids, but I don't want an epidural because the thought of not being able to feel parts of my body and being limited to the bed freaks me out more that the pain of contractions does. I need to move and feel stuff, yo.
  • I chose to go without one because I did not want to be bound to the bed.  I was able to labor in a much more natural (to me) position which really helped me deal with the pain.  I also have major anxiety and just the thought of not being able to feel my legs and feet would give me slight panic attacks while I was pregnant and preparing for labor.

Everyone has their own reasons and ways of birthing and raising children, you need to educate yourself and make the choices that work best for you and your family.

• I agree with PPs. The main reason why I wouldn't want one is because I think I would feel too out of control if I couldn't feel or move the bottom half of my body. I get freaked out just getting the numbing stuff to get a cavity filled!

Kaylee & Cole 06.14.08

8/6/11 First 5k! OG&E Expo Run 34:47
    9/3/11 Brookhaven Run 5k 34:18
    9/17/11 Healthy Sooners Fun Run 5k 33:38
    10/15/11 Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure 33:31
    10/29/11 Monster Dash 5k 32:06 PR!
    11/11/11 Veteran's Day Run 11k in Dallas 1:13:15 Instant PR!
    1/28/12 Texas Half Marathon 2:38:03 Instant PR!
    3/25/12 Earlywine Dash
  • FWIW, I could feel my legs and lower half in general just fine with the epidural. I was able to move my legs too. I was able to effectively push and knew what my body was doing. I had zero pain. It took about two hours to where I felt comfortable walking. It was not scary in the least!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I didn't respond to the poll. I didn't plan on an epi with LO, but found out that my body is sensitive to pitocin, which there was no way I could have done 27 hours of labor without it. I even had a messed up 1st epi (a rare occurrence for my situation) and got a 2nd one which did work. I was able to move pretty easily and felt when I needed to push. Which I did lead my pushing, not my doctor. 

Next LO, I will try again without epi, but also will not do pitocin. I don't want an epi because this is what our bodies were made for, but I have no prob with it if I need it. With first epi: I didn't need a c-section, I walked 30mins later, my labor progressed because of the epi, and I got sleep. 

• I'm planning on going med-free for a few reasons.  Mostly because I want to avoid a C-section (there's also an increased risk of delivery using forceps/vacuum with an epi) and an epi can make BFing more difficult.  I want to feel in control and I'm afraid that an epidural won't allow that--and I don't want to be confined to a bed.  Also, having an epi generally means getting a urinary catheter, more monitoring for mom and baby, and not being able to push as effectively.  

Another reason is the fact that, while the thought of giving birth unmedicated does make me nervous, the thought of having a needle and catheter stuck in my back makes me nauseous.  

All that being said, I don't judge those who choose to get an epidural--and I realize that depending on how the labor/delivery process goes I could end up getting one.  But I'm educating myself on epis and at this point think the best choice for our baby and I is to go without one. 
  • OUKapOUKap member
    Eighth Anniversary
    Cool. Thanks for the different perspectives and first hand experiences. Honestly, this is not something that I have thought much about. And I really don't want to. The thought of someone sticking a needle in me freaks me out. I really hate needles. I am open to epidurals.
  • I had different reasons for not wanting an epidural with each birth.

With V, I didn't want one becuase I don't like needles.  I would rather deal with pain then have a needle in my body.

With M, I didn't fully trust my uterus not to rupture and I wanted to be able to feel it if it did.  Plus, epidurals increase risk of c/s and pitocin and I wanted to avoid the OR and pitocin because that increases rupture risk (in all moms, not just VBAC)

With G, I trusted my body and I saw the difference in my medicated birth and my unmedicated.  I saw how different my babies were and how different I was and that made the choice for me.  Plus, we were at home so drugs weren't even an option.

I don't judge women who get epidurals, but I think women need to be eduated on the risks they are taking when having the meds.  I don't think doctors educate women or explain the risks and we just assume they are "safe".  I don't think epidurals are bad (sometimes they help labor), but there are risks associated with them that we need to understand and weigh the risks and the benefits in order to make the choice that is best for us.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers