Nest Book Club

Onread.com??

Hi ladies!  It's been a long time since I've been a regular over here, but I have a question, and I figured you all might have more info than any other group of people I know.  :) 

I apologize if this is regularly asked, but is anyone familiar with onread.com?  Is it legit?  As far as I can tell, it's a way to get free copies of ebooks, including some very current and popular books. 

I teach high school English online, and while this site could solve some issues that my students have with getting copies of the required books, I'm certainly not going to point them in this direction if the site is in violation of copyright laws or is somehow screwing over the authors.

~~~~Carrie & Shawn~~~~December 21, 2007~~~~ image
Our Blog!
"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain." Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Onread.com??

• I feel like the majority of sites where you can get free copies of recent releases are illegal / in violation of copyright / screwing the authors out of money.
    imageimage

• image Young_Love:
    I feel like the majority of sites where you can get free copies of recent releases are illegal / in violation of copyright / screwing the authors out of money.

Yeah...and the fact that I'm having trouble finding some older texts (like The Crucible) makes it seem fishy, too.  Darn it.  Guess the kids will have to suck it up and go to the library or find $5 to buy a used copy on Amazon.  :)

~~~~Carrie & Shawn~~~~December 21, 2007~~~~ image
    Our Blog!
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain." Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I am not familiar with onread.com, however Overdrive is a FABULOUS (and legit) way to get free ebooks (and mp3 & wav) books for free.  Basically it's a hookup to your local library's digital collection.  New stuff and old stuff alike...

http://www.overdrive.com/

my to-read shelf:
    Katie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)

Book Challenge
    Book Challenge

BabyFruit Ticker
  • What about Project Gutenberg if you're looking for classics?

"Every bunny can help improve the world." ~ Bunny Buddhism