Decorating & Renovating

Rustoleum cabinet transformation complete!

We just finished using the Rustoleum cabinet transformation kit in our kitchen. We changed our orangey/honey oak colored cabinets to espresso and added brushed silver hardware. It was a ton of work but it looks awesome! They turned out so well, I still cant believe it! The best part is that we saved $1400 by doing it ourselves over the estimate we got to have our cabinets professionally refinished. It really feels like our kitchen renovation is underway and I can't stop smiling. I tried to PIP before and afters but I couldn't get the images to show. If someone can walk me through this I will be happy to put them up. Thanks for your encouragement!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Rustoleum cabinet transformation complete!

• Ooh, I wanna see!  Are the pics online somewhere or on your hard drive?  Go to tinypic.com, and if they are on your hard drive browse to the pic, and then paste the code that says, "for message boards" into your post.  If they are online somewhere, right-click, copy the url for the "address", make a post, click the tree picture above, and paste the address where it says.
  • These are the before pics of the cabinets around our oven/cooktop/microwave... 

and here is the after

Please excuse the mess and the crappy iphone pics ( I can't find my camera in the mess!). We are replacing the stove and cooktop with stainless appliances(they are currently in my living room) and the awful countertops will be replaced April 8 with White River granite. We will replace the backsplash with a light tumbles stone and the hardwood floors are being ripped up and replaced with a light tile. It should all be finished by the end of April but I was so excited about the cabinets I wanted to post a mini before and after.

My favorite part about the Rustoleum kit was that you can still see the wood grain of the cabinets. I really wanted them to look stained rather than painted so this made me happy. Here is a close-up...

This is my first time to PIP so hopefully you can see them. Thanks!

• whoa, those are huge!! Sorry about that!
  • It looks awesome!  I love them!
    Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• How much did you end up spending and how much time did it take you?

• BTW, here is your pip smaller

• Those look like brand new cabinets!
  • image katie4253:
    How much did you end up spending and how much time did it take you?

Katie4253, we bought two small kits (each one covers 100sf and we had 150sf of cabinets and our HD was out of the large kit) several brushes, rolls of painters tape, ets, and 24 cabinet pulls and 9 drawer pulls (they are cup pulls, not yet installed in the pics) all for just under $250. We were quoted $1600 to have them professionally refinished so we are feeling pretty dang good about the money-saved aspect of the project :)

As far as time, it took a while. We started last Sunday, worked on it about 3 hours a night after work on weekdays and then about 4-5 hours each day on the weekend. The most time consuming step was the cleaning/deglossing and then you spend a fair amount of time waiting for coats to dry. They recommend anywhere from 2-12 hours dry time depending on which step you are doing but we did a full 24 hours between most steps since we had to go to work during the day. I haven't seen any reviews adressing how long this will last/hold up to wear and tear since it seems to be a fairly new product but so far I am really impressed and would certainly recommend it.

Also, thanks for shrinking my pics!

• They look great!

I looked at a sample that they had at our Home Depot, and was impressed with the way it looked and felt.   They put it on one half of a damaged vanity, and the difference was amazing.  It went from really cheap looking to really nice.  I even kind of poked at it to see if it would scratch or anything, and it seemed pretty durable.

• They look like new!  Good job!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

*Proud Air Force Wife*

"I'll love you forever,

I'll like you for always.

As long as I'm living,

my baby you'll be."
  • They look amazing!!! I love the after and it makes me want to redo our cabinets now!
    Adopt a shelter pet

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Very neat! They look great!
  • I'm so happy you posted pics....they look incredible.  I am half way through the process on my bathroom vanity and I am also doing a dresser and nightstand in my guest bedroom.  I desperately want to do my kitchen but I figured I'd try a smaller job first.  Now that I see your pics I'm anxious to get started on my kitchen.  I'm really pleased with the product and like you I'm glad they look stained dark instead of painted.  
  • I have a really silly question.  Did you take the doors down to do it or leave them up?  I know the *right* way is to take them down but we don't have anywhere to do ours.  I did our three bathroom vanities with the doors still hanging with zero issues.  Yours look beautifuL!
  • That looks AMAZING!  Thanks so much for posting! 
  • image seujoanne:
    I have a really silly question.  Did you take the doors down to do it or leave them up?  I know the *right* way is to take them down but we don't have anywhere to do ours.  I did our three bathroom vanities with the doors still hanging with zero issues.  Yours look beautifuL!

Get some sawhorses, long pieces of wood, and drop cloths. I took over my family room for a week or so while painting my cabinets.

• Looks great. I think we are going to do this sometime this spring!

The only thing that i'm not looking forward to is somehow managing this project with DD around. She always has to be attached to my hip. lol

image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Beautiful!  They look like completely different cabinets! 
  • image rchlbug02:

image katie4253:
    How much did you end up spending and how much time did it take you?

Katie4253, we bought two small kits (each one covers 100sf and we had 150sf of cabinets and our HD was out of the large kit) several brushes, rolls of painters tape, ets, and 24 cabinet pulls and 9 drawer pulls (they are cup pulls, not yet installed in the pics) all for just under $250. We were quoted $1600 to have them professionally refinished so we are feeling pretty dang good about the money-saved aspect of the project :)

As far as time, it took a while. We started last Sunday, worked on it about 3 hours a night after work on weekdays and then about 4-5 hours each day on the weekend. The most time consuming step was the cleaning/deglossing and then you spend a fair amount of time waiting for coats to dry. They recommend anywhere from 2-12 hours dry time depending on which step you are doing but we did a full 24 hours between most steps since we had to go to work during the day. I haven't seen any reviews adressing how long this will last/hold up to wear and tear since it seems to be a fairly new product but so far I am really impressed and would certainly recommend it.

Also, thanks for shrinking my pics!

Thanks for posting this! I am going to "Watch" this thread so I can show DH later - I'm totally interested in using this system for our kitchen cabinet, which are actually the same color yours were. Great job, looks awesome!!

• I remember hearing that the rustoleum cabinet paint is "thin" and you can see the indentations of the wood grain through it.  I don't love the look of that with white paint but I REALLY like it with your dark brown.  It gives it more of a wood feel.  Great work!!
  • WOW that looks fantastic!!!  It looks like a whole new kitchen! 

• This is becoming a really popular product and I can see why.  Your kitchen looks fantastic!  I can't wait to see it when the countertop is done.

I know you're replacing yours but I've seen they also have a Countertop Transformations kit as well.  I wonder how well it works.

Follow Me on Pinterest

• Wow!! That looks beautiful!!  You guys should be really proud.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Go Phils!!
  • Wow, that's really beautiful. Congratulations! It's fantastic!
  • Good work.  Did you "learn" anything through the process, or are the instructions spot on?

I'm interesting in doing this with their tile and tub product (refinishing tile in bathroom)

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I am going to post my own review here shortly once I get pics, but I used this on a big dresser. I LOVE the end result, but it was a complete PITA and by the end I was just done with it. My mom is still doing her cabinets and said in retrospect she wouldn't do it again. I had an easier time than her, but if you have something with a lot of curves, grooves, indents, etc. then it will be harder. Flat kitchen cabinets look so easy to me now that I had to master all the curves on this damn dresser! I'll dry and take some pics tomorrow and post more.
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • wow

great job - I love the after!!