Fashion & Beauty

Toning down yellow/brassy highlights

I decided to be slightly brave and got some buttery highlights put in my brown hair yesterday to soften it up for spring. I'm mostly happy but I definitely feel that they are too yellow/brassy in some sections. I know that a purple toning shampoo is a must to tone it down but can I start using it now and what kind would you recommend? TIA!

Re: Toning down yellow/brassy highlights

• I would go back to your hairdresser and ask them to put a toner in it.
  • image jessicah628:
    I would go back to your hairdresser and ask them to put a toner in it.

Totally agree.

• i suggest buying something you can use at home like Schwarzkopf Igora Color Enhancing Conditioning Treatment in IceFlower [also called 9.5-1].

it's a foaming mousse with a light purple tint that you put on your hair after you wash it. it conditions so all you need to do is towel dry and work it into your hair and leave it on for 15-20 mins. it's inexpensive [from what i remember, it was like $11] and it works very well.

i used it when i highlighted my hair and my mom and several other blondes i know swear by it. you could probably get away with only using it once a week after you notice some more gold in your hair. it really helped me go longer in between appointments.
    ?Hoping to Adopt & FTA?

Latest Post- Jessica Simpson Birthing at Home?

• Go back to your stylist, she needs to tone it. Shampoo will help a little but it will not have the same effect as a toner. I use Framesi violights, its super pigmented, you mix it with your normal daily shampoo.