Cleaning & Organizing
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email help@theknot.com.

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

distilled water or tap water in steam mop?

hi ladies!  i just ordered the eureka steam mop and i was wondering whether you use distilled water or tap water in your steam mop?  does it matter?  thank you!!

Re: distilled water or tap water in steam mop?

• I just use tap water in my Shark steam mop - we have hard water and have had it for over a year with no problems yet!
    Our TTC journey begins: February 2010
    BFP #1 3.23.11 :: Natural M/C on 5.21.11 @ 12wk4d

Cycle #7 TTC post M/C: 1st Round of Clomid CD 3-7
    BFP #2 2.17.12! - EDD 10.28.12 :: Beta #1 102 @ 13dpo, Beta #2 212 @ 15dpo
    IT'S A GIRL!!
    Ava Dawn made her grand entrance on November 2 at 9:29am!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic New Beginnings
    :: No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you're the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside ::

• I think it really depends on what your owner's manual says.  It did say in the Shark manual that I had for best results used distilled, so it does leave a residue on your floor.  Whereas, my new Haan just says to use tap water, and I have had no streaking or filmy residue unlike my old Shark.  If you still aren't sure, just call the hotline and see what they say.
  • I've used both with my Shark and have had no issues with residues.
    Culinary Cache
  • image IamMrsF2U:
    I think it really depends on what your owner's manual says.  It did say in the Shark manual that I had for best results used distilled, so it does leave a residue on your floor.  Whereas, my new Haan just says to use tap water, and I have had no streaking or filmy residue unlike my old Shark.  If you still aren't sure, just call the hotline and see what they say.

Same here, I just use tap water in my Haan and it cleans beautifully.

• Sorry to hijack -- but I have a closely-related question...

My steam mop (Bissell) instructions recommends distilled water.  I know that filtered water and distilled water are two different things, but do you think a Brita takes out enough of the bad stuff that the water is okay to use?  We have really, really hard water.

Thanks!

• I also have the Eureka (and I love it!).  I'm not sure what the manual says, but I just use tap water, and I've had no problems!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Apparently the doll needed a time out... image
  • image uppereastgirl:

Sorry to hijack -- but I have a closely-related question...

My steam mop (Bissell) instructions recommends distilled water.  I know that filtered water and distilled water are two different things, but do you think a Brita takes out enough of the bad stuff that the water is okay to use?  We have really, really hard water.

Thanks!

A Brita pitcher reduces chlorine, copper, and mercury.  Do you have a water softener?  That is what you need to reduce hardness.