New Jersey Nesties

woke up at 1:30am to a BAT flying around my bedroom

what a fun way to wake up in the middle of the night. my husband was able to trap it and get it out of the house. we live in a townhouse, and our next door neighbors are having their roof fixed, so it's possible the banging upset some bats in their attic and one came into our attic and then into the house.

OR it could be from a sleeping bag Landon's friend brought over last night (he had a sleepover with his little girlfriend here last night) they've had bats in their house before, as have their neighbors. Pete and I think it's possible that since the sleeping bag had been stored in their upstairs closet in a room that doesn't get used (and is close to their attic access) it's possible the bat was in the sleeping bag. the kids didn't use their sleeping bags so it was left still rolled up at the bottom of the stairs. i woke up because i heard it fall over and then see this bat flying up the stairs and straight into my bedroom. not fun at all.

either way, when pete gets home from work tonight, he's going to look in our attic and see if he finds anything.

*~Erica~* Mommy to Landon John 7/16/07, Owen James 10/23/09 and Eliana Rose 5/14/2011 Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: woke up at 1:30am to a BAT flying around my bedroom

• Indifferent I would have crapped my pants!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • OMG...I would have gone completely batty...ok I know that wasnt funny but had to do it. but seriously, would have screamed bloody murder... one time a bird got into my sister's house causing us to go running out of the house soo fast.
  • OMG!!

Not to alarm you, but you should call the doc to see if you should get any shots... I know a woman I work with had a bat in her bedroom and she had to go for a series of rabies shots just in case the bat touched them while they were sleeping or something.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers image merry christmas from my little elves! image
  • image vicki21:

OMG!!

Not to alarm you, but you should call the doc to see if you should get any shots... I know a woman I work with had a bat in her bedroom and she had to go for a series of rabies shots just in case the bat touched them while they were sleeping or something.

That's probably a really good idea.?

My Food Blog: Lauren's Kitchen

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    *always remembering Annaleigh Lucy*
  • I would have listed my house first thing this morning and we'd be sleeping in a hotel. I can not even fathom such a thing. Hope you're all ok.

• OMG! I would went bat sh!t crazy- PUN intended, lol! Seriously, I agree about calling your OB! and there is no way I would have been able to sleep after that!
  • MrsDBMrsDB member

i don't think you can get rabies unless it bit you or it spit into an open wound.

My mom lives near an abandoned train tunnel so we've definitely had some bat experiences. the biggest mystery was when we came home from vaca and found one upside down in my bedroom window--- the screen and interior glass were both closed. Our only guess is maybe the screen was open a bit and after it came in it somehow pushed it down.

Thankfully i don't think we've ever had one inside our actual house, but they're probably in the attic.

• OMG that's scary! I would definitely call your OB. From what I understand you can not even be aware that you were bitten, so they may take precautions, especially since you're pregnant. Yucky!
    image image Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Oh my - I would have packed up the kids and gone to my parents or in-laws. Glad you got it out and no one was hurt.
    Cari & Jimmy ~ 11.05.05
    Brian 04.13.07~Gavin 07.16.08~Tristan 12.02.10
    ~Angel in Heaven~ emergency d&c 07.16.09 @9wks

AUGUST 2011

BOSCO - My first son

• I just got the shivers like 100x over...i was describing it to matt and I cant even get the story out lol. i kept having these involuntary shviers of disgust. AHHHHHH!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• GAH!!! I would have FREAKED THE F OUT!!!! and left for a hotel!
  • omg we have had bats a few times... i never believed DH when he saw them in the basement but then when i was feeding CJ when she was 6 days old there was one crawling on the wall.. ack.. and same thing when owen was 6 days old.. so strange... we filled all the holes they came in through (and one was from DH leaving an attic window open- nice)... but the exterminator was awesome lol.. i hate bats.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • i wouldn't let pete hit the bat or squish it in the house because of the whole rabies thing. i will call my OB tomorrow. luckily it was flying around at night, in the dark which hopefully means it wasn't sick. i freaked out, you've never seen a pregnant woman move so fast. oh and while pete was trying to decide how to trap it, he closed our bedroom, thinking it wouldn't get out of our room, um yea apparently the space at the bottom of the door - we're talking like 1/4 of an inch was enough because it got out and was flying around our hallway. i really hope it was a freak thing and there aren't anymore. otherwise i WILL be taking the kids and sleeping at my parents house until an exterminator comes.
    *~Erica~* Mommy to Landon John 7/16/07, Owen James 10/23/09 and Eliana Rose 5/14/2011 Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• yea.. they can squeeze out of a dime size space.. it is nuts!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers