Money Matters

How much were you able to talk down your car salesman?

We are shopping around for a used car (1-2 years old).  We have narrowed it down to 3 options we would be happy with.  Anyone have success lowering the asking price? Any tips you would like to share?

Additional info if it helps: We are only buying from a dealership, can pay cash, are not in a rush but would like something by this summer.

Thanks!

Re: How much were you able to talk down your car salesman?

• We had a trade in and we talked him up from $7k to $8,400.

On the price of the car, which was a used car, we talked him down from $16,900 to $14k. With extra detailing included on their part.

After him going to his "boss" three different times, I was ready to walk.
    After the third time he came back I stood up and said I needed to get something to eat because I'm pregnant.
    He freaked and agreed to our terms.
    But we still told him we wanted to talk it over at lunch.
    It took 4.5 hours No but we are happy with our car and terms.

• I used email to get the best deal.  I only went to the dealership to test drive the car.

These are tips for buying a new car, but I think you can apply most of the principles on a used car. 

http://www.clarkhoward.com/news/cars/clarks-car-buying-tips/nFgH/ ;

• $2k. We went at the end of the night, they didn't want to wait around haggling so they knocked it off at the first offer.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • This is going to vary depending on how desirable the car you want to buy is. You'll have better luck on a Hummer than a Honda. We bought a very popular make of car, and the salesman was pretty confident that someone else would buy the car if we didn't. We did our research and picked our bottom line number based on information we found about how much people in our area were paying for the same model. We walked away until we got to that price. I'm sure we could have saved a little more if we had dragged the process out another month, but there were only a couple more in the color we wanted ( we bought new).
  • edmunds.com has tons of great tips, including a pretty interesting series of when one of their writers went undercover as a car salesman.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I was looking at used 2010's until I realized they are trying to clear out the new 2010's and I got it for less than than the used one with 20k miles and I get the full warranty so if you are buying soon and you can find it new in a 2010 the rebates might just be worth it!  Car was MRSP at $22K and we got it for $16K I did the research online first too and had them to give me the price before I went in to test drive.
  • I did it all via email using edmunds.com to get quotes and went from there.  With rebates we managed $4.5K off.

This is also dependent on the car.  Toyota and  Honda don't deal as well.

• We bought an 09 Rav4 in November 2010. It is a certified used vehicle, and we purchased with less than 19000 miles on it. We got it from the Toyota dealership.

Sticker price was 20K. He tried to knock it down to like 19,300 without tax, tags, etc.

H haggled quite well and the salesman went to his boss about 3 or 4 times.  We were able to get it for 18K including tax, tags, etc.

We put 4K down, and we got 2500 for my 2003 Nissan Sentra.  Ended up financing 12000.00.

We definitely researched edmunds and kbb before we went in.

• We paid $9,000 for a used vehicle that was listed for $13,000 on the lot. We checked their website, and it was listed for $12,000 as an Internet special. We already saved $1,000 by saying they should match it on the lot.

I looked at the Kelley Blue Book value, so I had our top number before we talked to a salesman. We went during the middle of the week when business is slower and they're more willing to negotiate. We gave them a low offer, they countered, more back and forth, and we walked out when we didn't like their "final" offer. They called us at home about an hour later asking what it would take. We gave them our final number, they said OK and we went in to sign the papers.

My advice is to have a number for the total cost that you're willing to pay. Salesman like to talk payments and loan terms because most people focus on what they can afford monthly instead of the total price they actually want to pay. This may not apply to you if you're paying cash. Also, check out different dealerships and have them compete with each other for the best offer/sale. Play one against the other. And if you don't like the numbers, just walk away. Their "final" number usually isn't the lowest they'll go.