What's Cooking?

How to liven up jarred spaghetti sauce?

We need to use up our jarred spaghetti sauce and wanted to know what (if any) extras you put in it to "liven" up the flavor?

Re: How to liven up jarred spaghetti sauce?

• If I have onions and/or peppers I will saute those and add them to the sauce. I always add more garlic, chili pepper flakes and sometimes more Italian seasoning. Some people I know add a little sugar to it. Smile
  • Red whine, added garlic, mushrooms, diced onion and bell peppers, basil, oregano, red pepper, Italian seasoning...
  • image TheMorrisseys:
    Red whine, added garlic, mushrooms, diced onion and bell peppers, basil, oregano, red pepper, Italian seasoning...

Ditto this, along with some diced tomatoes (about as much as the sauce you are using), and then let it all slow cook for a couple hours...

Some cooked pork sausage works well as an addition too :)

Mmmm Irish food :)Root Vegetables and Irish Beef
    Gluten Free Food Blog
  • I usually add red wine, garlic, onions, and some Italian seasonings.
  • If you are short on time, a bit of balsamic vinegar works well.

I've stirred in leftover roasted garlic and that was yummy.

imageimage
  • ground beef or turkey

zucchini

spinach

• I would saute some onions and garlic in a little ex virgin olive oil, then throw some meat in the pan (sausage, ground beef, pork...whatever you have).  Once the meat is just brown, add the sauce into the pot and let it all simmer together for a while.  Add some extra seasonings too, and season the meat before cooking it.
  • image TheMorrisseys:
    Red whine, added garlic, mushrooms, diced onion and bell peppers, basil, oregano, red pepper, Italian seasoning...

Where can I get some of that red whine? :) Freudian slip??

• image FayeD:

If you are short on time, a bit of balsamic vinegar works well.

I've stirred in leftover roasted garlic and that was yummy.

Yum!

• sometimes i'll add a little red wine or red pepper flakes. if you want your sauce a little heavier, you can add heavy cream and vodka to it
  • I agree with all previous postings... Onions, garlic, peppers whatever. A bit of fresh parsley and basil might also help brighten the sauce.

I don't know if you ever make your own sauce, but I actually stopped buying jarred sauce once I realized how easy it is to make homemade.

I start with a medium onion, chopped garlic and a diced carrot. I saute those in a bit of olive oil and add a pinch of sugar, and a bit of salt and pepper. 

Once the onions are translucent, I stir in some dried parsley, basil and red pepper flakes that I process in a coffee grinder that I use only for spices. 

I add a bit of white wine, then two cans of good quality tomatoes. Let that simmer and reduce. 

Season to taste after the sauce has reduced. 

You can add some fresh grated parm, and a splash of heavy cream at the end, or just a pat of butter. 

This really only takes about 30 mins from start to finish, and I like the fact that I control every that goes into the sauce.