Colorado Nesties

ground beef - left out overnight still okay to eat?

I left some cooked ground beef out last night (sealed in a tupperware bowl). It's still okay to eat, right?

Re: ground beef - left out overnight still okay to eat?

• I wouldn't, but I'm paranoid about things like that. Do the smell test...if it smells okay it might be okay.
  • I've heard once cooked meat has sat out for 2 hours (and had a chance to cool) that it isn't safe to eat....though I have no idea where I read that.  A cookbook or something...

But I am paranoid too and guess I wouldn't chance it....lol.  

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I wouldn't eat it. 

• Coming from the food service industry, we would not serve meat left out that long- if it gets below 120 degrees without being refridgerated it's susceptible to food born pathogens.. Not worth the risk.
  • No way.  Unrefrigerated meat = way too dangerous for me.  Of course, my little brother ended up on death's doorstep with E.Coli about 8 years ago, so nothing is worth that IMO.

PHOTOS REMOVED

• I'm the opposite of everyone else and would eat it.  It's true that bacteria can begin to grow within 2 hours of it sitting out.. but how many times have you finished a dinner at a restaurant, had the leftovers boxed, then had dessert, maybe seen a movie or something, then driven home.. at that point, your leftovers have been sitting out for more than 2 hours, and it's still fine.  I guess I'm a little lax about things like that though.  I've eaten meat in that situation before and have never had an issue.

Wesley Warner - 5/27/12
  • image Pikmin620:

I'm the opposite of everyone else and would eat it.  It's true that bacteria can begin to grow within 2 hours of it sitting out.. but how many times have you finished a dinner at a restaurant, had the leftovers boxed, then had dessert, maybe seen a movie or something, then driven home.. at that point, your leftovers have been sitting out for more than 2 hours, and it's still fine.  I guess I'm a little lax about things like that though.  I've eaten meat in that situation before and have never had an issue.

I'm the same way- just cook it on high heat :)  

• image amberlyrose:
    image Pikmin620:

I'm the opposite of everyone else and would eat it.  It's true that bacteria can begin to grow within 2 hours of it sitting out.. but how many times have you finished a dinner at a restaurant, had the leftovers boxed, then had dessert, maybe seen a movie or something, then driven home.. at that point, your leftovers have been sitting out for more than 2 hours, and it's still fine.  I guess I'm a little lax about things like that though.  I've eaten meat in that situation before and have never had an issue.

I'm the same way- just cook it on high heat :)  

Exactly what I do! :)

Wesley Warner - 5/27/12
  • I'm in the definitely not camp on this one. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • My BIL is still paying off a $6,000 ER bill from eating a leftover hamburger that sat out too long.  Totally not worth the risk.
    2nd Birthday picture - Precious Poses Photography

Maren-2

Married 9-25-2004; Momma 12-14-2009

my read shelf:
    Katie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • No!!  Who has time to be sick over left-over hamburger?

• There's no way I'd eat it, definitely not worth getting sick!

Ziggy's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Lilypie - (Nvhz)

4 losses: Blighted ovum 1/11, CP 12/11, CP 3/12, and our perfectly healthy baby girl Charlotte Grace, missed M/C 5/31/12 at 8w5d

Surprise unmedicated BFP 9/21/12!! Beta #1 9/22 (10 DPO): 46 Beta #2 9/24 (12 DPO): 226! Heartbeat 136 bpm at 7w! It's a BOY!  Theodore Joshua 5/23/13 7:36am 7lb 13 oz, 19.25 in
  • Food that sits in "the danger zone" between 40-140 degrees for 2 hours is a no-no at casa Keri - my safety and sanitation class in culinary school sunk in VERY well for me.
    Potter the Wonder Doggie, and Todds_kid, Cooper :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Spirit of Power
    Eat, Drink, and be Keri
  • NO. definitely not worth it... and although cooking might kill the bacteria it will not kill the toxins certain bacteria make. Not worth sicker than you've ever been in your life over $4 of meat.