Houston Nesties

Best place to live outside Houston?

(Apologies in advance if this ends up being long)

I came across an article today from 2008 regarding the water supply in Woodloch, TX.  The pipes had asbestos, the water storage tank needed to be sandblasted, and they were talking about it having a relation to cancer and kidney transplants. Since it's from 2008, I'm not sure if anything has been fixed yet or if it is still an issue. 

FI is living in his grandmother's old house in Woodloch, which is where we will be living when I move down there.  It's going to be a great starter home (hey, it's a house!) but I am a little concerned about the long term. 

FI won't really talk very much about the areas outside Houston, and while I was there visiting, we didn't go through many neighborhoods aside from Woodloch, and his sisters' place in The Woodlands.  The Woodlands is nice, but I've heard it is very expensive.. a little outside our price range at this point.

I suggested a few neighborhoods as we passed them, but FI just wrote them off, telling me that he wouldn't consider moving there.  So.. I turn to you guys! What are the best/good areas for schools, cleanliness, services, access to amenities, etc. and what areas should I avoid? (Thank you!!) 

December 2011 Brides Siggy Challenge: Cakes!
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Wedding Countdown TickerPersonalMilestone

Re: Best place to live outside Houston?

• It would depend heavily on where you will be working. I love the Sugar Land/Missouri City area.  Good for all of your criteria.

The cy-fair area is pretty nice, but the commute to the downtown area is a nightmare.

Unless you work inthe Woodlands area I wouldn't live there.

People like Pearland, but I am not a huge fan of the area.

• I agree with pp... it really depends on where you work.

To add to the list, I would also say Katy is a very nice place to go.  

BFP #1 (DS, 10/98), BFP #2 (DD, 10/09)
    BFP #3 -mm/c @ 7wks, discovered at 9wks, D&C 9/28
    Picture
    Current Status: TTA
    ~~PGAL/PAL Always Welcome!~~
  • I won't have a job until I move down there, but FI works for his dad in Galveston, so they're constantly commuting.  I don't mind a commute, especially if there's public transit involved. 
    PhotobucketPhotobucket
  • image mgjbtx:
    I won't have a job until I move down there, but FI works for his dad in Galveston, so they're constantly commuting.  I don't mind a commute, especially if there's public transit involved. 

He commutes from the Woodlands (area) to Galveston Indifferent

That kind of public transit does not exist in Houston and I'd rather poke my eyes out than make that drive all the time.

What areas has he ruled out?  Did he say why?  That may help us give you some more direction.

• Katy, SugarLand, Friendswood, and Woodlands
    18 Months!! image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Friendswood or League City will be nice for you since DH works in Galveston
    18 Months!! image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image nov1stbride:

It would depend heavily on where you will be working. I love the Sugar Land/Missouri City area.  Good for all of your criteria.

The cy-fair area is pretty nice, but the commute to the downtown area is a nightmare.

I live in North Spring (less than 5 minutes South of the Woodlands) and I commute to Greenway Plaza... Is it awesome, no... but it's not that horrible either. hehe 

We live in the Klein/Spring area and I love it.  Yes, I have a long commute, but once I'm home Friday night, I rarely go outside of a 5 mile radius of our house.  We love our house and love the area... The schools are good and the district isn't suffering as bad as a lot in Houston.

~*~Jenn~*~
  • image almond1123:

He commutes from the Woodlands (area) to Galveston

Yep, he sure does.  His dad drives, he mostly sleeps on the way, since they're up and gone by around 6/6:30 AM. His parents also live in Woodloch, actually just down the street. 

I'm not entirely sure what areas he's ruled out. I know there was a newer development right by Woodloch that he ruled out, because the houses could have some flooding problems.  Other than that, we've just driven past random neighborhoods, and I've asked "Would you want to live there?" only to get a curt "No." 

Thank you for everyone's help. :) I know things could change once I get down there and have a job and everything, but it's good to have an idea of nice areas ahead of time so I can start semi-browsing.   

PhotobucketPhotobucket
  • If your FI is working in Galveston I would look in Clear Lake, League City, or Friendswood.

Woodlands to Galveston is nuts. 

• We live in League City and really like it. When I have to commute to Galveston, it's about a 40 minute drive with traffic.

Friendswood is nice and so is the Clear Lake area in general.

• neepsneeps
    Seventh Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Has your FI agreed to move at all? You're viewing grandma's house as a starter home, but is he? For some reason your posts scream that y'all haven't really communicated about this issue and your expectations.
    I'm bi-coastal. I live on both sides of the Atlantic.
  • image neeps:
    Has your FI agreed to move at all? You're viewing grandma's house as a starter home, but is he? For some reason your posts scream that y'all haven't really communicated about this issue and your expectations.

I'm getting a similar vibe. My impression is that his family comes first and will continue to come first. His parents and family live in Woodloch and he has no intentions of leaving. Never thought about and doesn't see a reason to.  I get the vibe that all decisions will be based on what he wants, vs what you BOTH want.

May I ask why you chose to uproot and come here? Why I wasn't it the other way around?

I know we don't know either one of you, but based on your posts, I get an very strong feeling that you are the one making all the sacrifices and he changes and and compromises nothing. His families feelings and wants are more important than yours. Sorry if I am completely off, that's just my thoughts without knowing more.

Always and Forever 9*18*04

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • image nov1stbride:

It would depend heavily on where you will be working. I love the Sugar Land/Missouri City area.  Good for all of your criteria.

I would not call the commute from Cy-Fair to downtown a "nightmare." After commuting 40 miles each way from downtown Chicago to Naperville on the Eisenhower Expressway (also called 290) for several years (sometimes 2+ hours to get home), the commute on 290 is bad, but not that bad. If you carpool, you can take the HOV lane. You can also take the Park & Ride bus. If you leave before 6:30 AM, the commute in takes less than one hour. The commute home is the bad part, no doubt about it, unless you go home by 4 or stay until after 6:30. Otherwise, Cy-Fair is a great place to live if you work on the north or west sides. I also commute to the Energy Corridor (I-10 and Eldridge area), and it is not bad.
  • OK. Just saw your FI works in Galveston. Do not move to Cy-Fair. I made the commute to Texas City (almost to Galveston) for a long time, and that sucks!
  • image mgjbtx:
    I won't have a job until I move down there, but FI works for his dad in Galveston, so they're constantly commuting.  I don't mind a commute, especially if there's public transit involved. 

my DH works in Galveston, and I work in Houston.  we live in Pearland - it's a decent compromise.  we leave on the east side (closer to Friendswood).  the west side of Pearland is booming, and we prefer to be out of the fray.  :)

pearland is relatively quiet, safe, and affordable. 

or, you could live a little further south.  League City is growing like crazy, and is another option.

• image neeps:

FI doesn't want to think about moving until he knows we have the money for it (which I completely understand!) I understand that he has never moved before, save moving down the street to his grandmother's house, but I am trying to think of what would be the best situation to raise a family in.  They are building schools down the road from us, but (for example) the playground in Woodloch looks as though you'd need a tetanus shot after playing on it.  

We aren't at the stage where we're really seriously thinking about kids, but it is on my mind.  I've just been wondering what areas outside Houston have good schools, nice neighborhoods, and which ones you should maybe stay away from.  

Up here in SK we don't really have the same city structure as Houston does.  We have our main cities, and our small towns 15 minutes away, but they're very separate and distinct.  One of the main things I noticed in TX was when we left the airport and drove to Woodloch, there was no clear distinction about where Houston ended and Woodloch began, and what was in between - there were homes and businesses everywhere! So I had (and have) no idea where certain areas are, and which are the 'nice' areas and which ones are kind of shady.   

image RaeAnt:

May I ask why you chose to uproot and come here? Why I wasn't it the other way around?

I have been wanting to leave SK for a long time, and TX seems like a warm enough place to go! I am leaving my friends and family, yes, but I am as prepared for it as I can be.  FI has already begun his career with his father, so I am going to start my career down there as well if I ever finish school! 

There are a lot of sacrifices to be made, but I refuse to count them because I don't want it to turn into a "Well, I moved down here for you, so you have to do (such and such) for me!" - that's no way to start a marriage! I apologize if some of my posts sound as though I am giving up on everything and FI is giving up nothing, or that there is no communication, I do not mean to sound negative.  I am aiming to get other peoples' opinions rather than just his so that I can form my own opinion as well :) 

Thank you for everyone's input and support.  I guess now what I need to do is look at a map and figure out where these places are!!  

PhotobucketPhotobucket
  • I used to live in both Friendswood and League City. I like both areas.  I also like Clear Lake and Webster.

I live in Galveston now and with my schedule/lifestyle it fits.

They see us rollin'...they be hatin'.
  • neepsneeps
    Seventh Anniversary Combo Breaker
    image mgjbtx:

FI doesn't want to think about moving until he knows we have the money for it (which I completely understand!) I understand that he has never moved before, save moving down the street to his grandmother's house, but I am trying to think of what would be the best situation to raise a family in.  They are building schools down the road from us, but (for example) the playground in Woodloch looks as though you'd need a tetanus shot after playing on it.  

I'm still seeing lots of red flags in this. He doesn't want to think about moving. I'm thinking of our future family.  There isn't any we.
    He doesn't want to think/talk about moving - some day down the road, in the hypothetical future when you do have the money? 'Cause surely you're planning on someday having enough financial stability to have the freedom to move? Sounds to me like he doesn't have any plans to move - ever, or at least not far from Woodloch.
    Sorry to turn this into a TIP post, but I don't think you're going to get him from the Piney Woods to the Gulf Coast. Hopefully I'm wrong though. GL.
    I'm bi-coastal. I live on both sides of the Atlantic.
  • image darva:
    image nov1stbride:

I live in North Spring (less than 5 minutes South of the Woodlands) and I commute to Greenway Plaza... Is it awesome, no... but it's not that horrible either. hehe 

We live in the Klein/Spring area and I love it.  Yes, I have a long commute, but once I'm home Friday night, I rarely go outside of a 5 mile radius of our house.  We love our house and love the area... The schools are good and the district isn't suffering as bad as a lot in Houston.

Really?? I didnt know that's where you guys bought!! I looooove our house/area as well! and I feel the same way as you about the 5 mile radius! LOL

• I live in The Woodlands; there are affordable houses in the area.  Sure there are multi-million dollar mansions, but I live in the oldest section and most of the houses here and in a neighboring section are quite reasonable.  I like our school district too (Conroe ISD).

The Woodloch area isn't bad.  You have access to a lot of The Woodlands, it's still in Conroe ISD but feeds to Oak Ridge High School rather than The Woodlands High School.  The areas that are prone to flooding are more southerly, like off Rayford Rd. and east of the railroad tracks.  I can't speak to the water supply issues, but if you don't want to drink it you can get water delivery service (Ozarka, Sparkletts, etc).

I can't believe they commute from here to Galveston every day!  I used to commute from here to the Heights every day and I thought that was a nightmare.  I definitely couldn't do Galveston.  Hopefully he'll consider moving further south in the future if he stays at that job.

"If I'm goin' down, I'm goin' down loud." -John Evans Tweet me