Decorating & Renovating

A YHL Question to Ponder

Do you think the problem with their house not being cohesive is that they're moving from room to room and slowly working on it, and we don't really know where they're going with it? I like that their approach is realistic for most people, but I wonder if that's the real problem with the lack of cohesion.

I realize that working on various parts of the house at the same time can lend itself to a more cohesive result. For example, as one's style evolves and matures, the decor can be slowly changed out to reflect that in every room. In blogland, though, things are different it seems.

Re: A YHL Question to Ponder

• Eh, I think people are impatient and expect to see a perfect, 100% completed room right away, which just isn't realistic.  YHL seems to be coordinating their whole house around their inspiration napkin, and I think it will slowly come together over time.  You just can't expect miracles overnight.  They've only been there a couple months, of course it's going to be incohesive (is that a word?) for a while.  I think it's actually kinda cool to see it all evolve.
  • They're not made of money. They can't do everything in one day or one month.

They need filler material.

And who knows - they probably get sick of decorating some days too. It's like when you see a room and you want to change it but you don't know how... it's better to take a break and come back later when you're refreshed and haven't thought about it in awhile.

image Oops, I got into Dad's hair goop. At least I gotta mohawk! My Blog Updated: March 2012 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• They don't seem to have a clear idea when decorating of what they want to do to the room as a "whole." Most people can get away with this, and decorate as they collect items over say, a 6 month period. But the thing is, YHL has a popular blog and has to produce results, you know? They don't have 6 months for a guest bedroom re-do. A mood board would help tremendously, in my opinion, so they can see what they are doing before they commit.

I also think they set a very high bar with this house. People were (and some still are) very excited to see what they were going to do with a blank slate. There was a lot of hype. I'm so glad they love it, but I just think they are falling a little short, need to step back and look at the big picture.

imageimage Leslie G. My Bio| Bloggy style Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • image mardoll10:
    Eh, I think people are impatient and expect to see a perfect, 100% completed room right away, which just isn't realistic.  YHL seems to be coordinating their whole house around their inspiration napkin, and I think it will slowly come together over time.  You just can't expect miracles overnight.  They've only been there a couple months, of course it's going to be incohesive (is that a word?) for a while.  I think it's actually kinda cool to see it all evolve.

This is what I was thinking.  It is a little incohesive now, but I'm planning to give them a year+ of living in the space before I judge the direction they are heading in. 

Jack

Blog!
  • image pattymctatty:

They need filler material.

This, exactly. They need material that isn't about their house. They used to do this more- and I think it's just about finding a good balance.

imageimage Leslie G. My Bio| Bloggy style Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • image Jhawks482:

They don't seem to have a clear idea when decorating of what they want to do to the room as a "whole." Most people can get away with this, and decorate as they collect items over say, a 6 month period. But the thing is, YHL has a popular blog and has to produce results, you know? They don't have 6 months for a guest bedroom re-do. A mood board would help tremendously, in my opinion, so they can see what they are doing before they commit.

I also think they set a very high bar with this house. People were (and some still are) very excited to see what they were going to do with a blank slate. There was a lot of hype. I'm so glad they love it, but I just think they are falling a little short, need to step back and look at the big picture.

It does seem that aside from the napkin that they aren't following much of a theme or idea. I find it a little odd considering they used to do so many mood boards. Maybe they have one they haven't shared.

I do agree they need stuff for filler, but they should be more judicious with what they post so they keep readers. At least they posted a house crashing today (beautiful home), so they might be getting back to that. A little focus taken off their house might be a good thing.

I also didn't mean for this post to sound like I was attacking them. In the most recent YHL posts, someone has always commented that their house isn't cohesive, and I've just felt that it might be cohesive when it's finished, but it's hard to tell right now.

• I don't expect it to be perfect.  I don't expect it to be complete.  They haven't lived there for very long and putting something together is going to take time and money. I realize that.

My problem is with their choices.  I feel like they are trying so hard to have high impact style and it's just falling short.  Is their house hideous? Of course not, but for people that are making a business out of this, I just don't think they are meeting the mark.

• Anything that is a work in progress is not going to look cohesive. I actually think they are doing well tying things together. I'm just not a fan of their scheme for the house, which is a bummer. Not so fun to read the blog. But a bajillion other people love it, so it so does not matter!
    weddingpic jamessmall gracied
    Susan & Mark ... Married June 14, 2008 ... Chicago Area
    James Tomasz born 1-5-10
    Grace Dorothy born 7-13-11

PROJECT BALANCING ACT: BIO and BLOG- yeah... needs to be updated.
  • image SA7206:

I don't expect it to be perfect.  I don't expect it to be complete.  They haven't lived there for very long and putting something together is going to take time and money. I realize that.

My problem is with their choices.  I feel like they are trying so hard to have high impact style and it's just falling short.  Is their house hideous? Of course not, but for people that are making a business out of this, I just don't think they are meeting the mark.

I agree about their choices. While I liked the most recent light fixture itself, it just didn't work in their space. It does seem like they're trying too hard.

I wonder if they really like the approach they're taking or if they're just trying to be more bold for the sake of the blog.

• Yes, I definitely do. Look at the posts about the guest room, where it clearly said the brown quilt was gone and it was unfinished and thrown together from stuff they had, and yet people kept saying "ugh, hate the brown  and it looks unfinished and thrown together"
  • The items and colors they're choosing are actually much more my style than their old house.  I really like their guest room.  But I do think there are some issues.  Ed and that light fixture are never going to get along, no matter what else they bring in.

And I don't think their kitchen will necessarily be spectacular either.  Their old one was pretty standard, and they worked with a kitchen designer for it.  I am looking forward to seeing what they do with it, though.

The nerve!
    House | Blog
  • Did they name everything in their last house? Their level of weird and quirk tends to be a little too much for me at times.
  • I do think that it will probably take time for the house to come together and I like reading the blog to see what they are doing and the ideas, but I feel like something is just off with the decor sometimes and the choices. I really enjoyed the house crashing post today.

• I don't have strong feelings about YHL one way or the other, but I do think that they have done some odd things in this new house that don't work and are a waste of time and money- many of which seem to be stop-gap cosmetic measures- like the painting of the ugly glass kitchen light fixture. 

I am the biggest proponent of living in a house before doing anything major- especially if you have a tight budget and small child.  

I feel that the dandelion light fixture and bed combo are the result of not thinking something through enough.    

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I think you're right about the cohesion, They seem to have a central inspiration that i think will start to come through eventually. However, why do they name everything? Ed, Karl, and Sue....do not need names!
  • image Pumpkin30:
    Did they name everything in their last house? Their level of weird and quirk tends to be a little too much for me at times.

No, but they referred to it constantly as a "casa", which was possibly more annoying.

• Honestly, they seem like sweet people and they have more design-sense than most people, but their blog is not my thing. If I wanted to see partially rigged up rooms that are "in progress" I'd  look around my own house. Good for them for finding a niche and making money off it, though.

(I realize I sound super mean. I don't FEEL that mean, but can't think of a nicer way to say what I'm thinking.)

• I don't think anything looks very good.  I know they keep saying things are "5% done" or something like that, so maybe I'll change my mind later.  Some things I simply don't like (such as the parkay floors and the dining room table) and other things I like but don't think they work together.

• I think that napkin should be burned.

They need to drop the naming of furniture.

I looooooooooove the guest room and bookshelves.

Everything else is a little meh. The light fixture is awful in that location. They shouldn't have painted the beams gray.

But I still really enjoy their blog.

• image SA7206:

I don't expect it to be perfect.  I don't expect it to be complete.  They haven't lived there for very long and putting something together is going to take time and money. I realize that.

Are they making a business out of it? I thought it was just a blog.

EDIT: I stand corrected. Just read the "about" section and they're one of those rare blogs that people actually really on for money. Funny, I'd never view them as a business, just a blog.

My favorite place on earth: The Amargosa Valley.