Cleaning & Organizing

Cleaning wood laminate floors

We have wood laminate in the living room and I usually use the swiffer wet pads to clean after sweeping.  It does a good job but I notice a lot of streaking and then foot prints in the residue even after it is completely dry. Any recs for how to clean ths type of floor without lots of streaking?
image Anniversary
TTC since 2008
Me-29, paracentric inversion resulting in egg quality issues and higher instance of miscarriage. All other b/w normal. HSG/SIS- all clear
Lap 2/14 to remove cysts/endo
DH-31, S/A normal
Injects+intercourse=fail, Injects+IUI=fail
saving up for IVF
PAIF/SAIF welcome!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Cleaning wood laminate floors

• http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lavender-Clean-Multi-Surface-Cleaner/14651713?sourceid=1500000000000007346530&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=14651713

I get it at Target or Walmart...

It doesnt streak at all and it smells good...

I just use a DAMP MOP with water and pinesol on it...and my LR and hallway look great!

If you click on zoom it says safe on wood...so I said hey why not try it on laminate.

I also mop my kitchen with the pinesol (lavendar scent is my fav) and no streaks on my kitchen floor either. 

sidenote: we been at our new house for 7 months now and have been using the pinesol for that long...and my floors still look great! 

Photobucket
  • We have wood laminate on our entire main level except the bathroom and I use the Rubbermaid Reveal and use a water/Lysol solution.  There's VERY minor streaking, but I'm the only one that notices it and it's only in some areas.  Overall I'm happy with it.  I do LOATHE the fact that the handle comes off of the Rubbermaid, you can't push very hard w/o it coming off.  I'm going to put a bolt through it so it doesn't come off anymore.
  • We use a Libman Freedom mop (http://www.libman.com/freedom-mop.aspx) and a capful of Murphy's Oil soap mixed w/ warm water.  The pad that comes w/ the mop is washable up to 50 times or something like that.  We have laminate flooring in 3 rooms of our house and this mop is great.  You control the amount of liquid that comes out and its a very even distribution.  We don't notice streaks or have any issues w/ that sticky feeling when you walk over it.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Visit The Nest! PitaPata Cat tickers PitaPata Dog tickers
  • Thanks for the suggestions ladies-  I will give them a try! :)
    image Anniversary
    TTC since 2008
    Me-29, paracentric inversion resulting in egg quality issues and higher instance of miscarriage. All other b/w normal. HSG/SIS- all clear
    Lap 2/14 to remove cysts/endo
    DH-31, S/A normal
    Injects+intercourse=fail, Injects+IUI=fail
    saving up for IVF
    PAIF/SAIF welcome!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I use Swiffer (for Wood) cleaner... but I don't use the  Wet Jet...I just put it in a spray bottle and use a microfiber mop.
    Mom of 2 Kels
  • We use a shark steamer mop on our laminate floors and it works great without leaving any sort of residue like the swiffer mop.  Although I love the swiffer mop also.
    Culinary Cache
  • We used the Swiffer wet jet for the first 4 yrs after we installed our Pergo.  There was so much buildup and the same things as you are describing.  They never felt clean to me.  About twice a year I'd get sick of it and put some non-bleach Mr Clean and water in a big bowl and get down on my hands and knees with a wash cloth and scrub the floors to get rid of the build up.  It was painful.  I bought a Shark steam mop this fall.  It's working much better.
  • I've tried just about everything (except a steam mop because that freaks me out on laminate - I can just picture my new floors all warped from the steam) and nothing has worked for me. I too use the Libman freedom mop and have tried many many different solutions but everything leaves streaks. Even plain water or water & vinegar. Let me know if you discover something that works because I would love to know!
  • image AlaskanAlison:
    I've tried just about everything (except a steam mop because that freaks me out on laminate - I can just picture my new floors all warped from the steam) and nothing has worked for me. I too use the Libman freedom mop and have tried many many different solutions but everything leaves streaks. Even plain water or water & vinegar. Let me know if you discover something that works because I would love to know!

I have to admit I was nervous but have been using the steam mop for over 2 years now without any issues at all.  I use it on my tile, laminate and wood flooring.

Culinary Cache
  • a little extra work, but I walk on a towel while I am mopping then walk around with the towel under my feet to dry...

Pam