Decorating & Renovating

What's the purpose of a butler's pantry?

We are looking to build a house and in the particular floor plan we like, there is an option for a butler's pantry. It looks to be a little room right off the kitchen with some cabinets and a sink. Just wondering what the point of this room is.

Re: What's the purpose of a butler's pantry?

• Extra storage? I didn't realize people built new houses with butler's pantries in them. The only houses I've seen with them are 100+ years old and obviously the purpose back then was different than now.

TTC #1 since July 2012

blog
  • From wikipedia-

Butler's pantry

A butler's pantry or serving pantry is a utility room in a large house, primarily used to store serving items, rather than food. Traditionally, a butler's pantry was used for storage, cleaning and counting of silver; European butlers often slept in the pantry, as their job was to keep the silver under lock and key. The wine log and merchant's account books may also have been kept in there. The room would be used by the butler and other domestic staff; it is often called a butler's pantry even in households where there is no butler.

In modern homes, butler's pantries are usually located in transitional spaces between kitchens and dining rooms, and used as staging areas for serving meals. They commonly contain countertops, and storage for tableware, serving pieces, table linens, candles, wine, and other dining-room articles. More elaborate versions may include refrigerators, sinks, or dishwashers.

• My aunt and uncle have a built in wine rack in the cabinetry in theirs, and they keep their liquor and bar supplies on that side in the cabinets.  On the other side, they keep all their glassware in the open cabinets and then linens and entertaining stuff in the bottom ones.

I think it's usually used for storage for dining/entertaining stuff, similar to a buffet but with more space.

The nerve!
    House | Blog
  • I would kill for a butler's pantry.

It is a must-have for the next home (we plan to build).

I like to entertain a lot and I love having the extra storage and prep space.  I used to babysit for a couple that had one in their home and I loved it.  They got rid of it to enlarge the size of the kitchen and I was so disappointed.

• image SA7206:

I would kill for a butler's pantry.

I like to entertain a lot and I love having the extra storage and prep space.

This!  I'd die for one and WILL have one when we build our forever home.  It's non-negotiable.

They're very popular in new homes in the south (not a shocker lol). My closet under the stairs is currently filled to the brim with serving pieces, china and table linens.  It'd be so much neater if I had a butler's pantry!

Really, they're an entertainer's dream, so if you don't host, I'd skip it.

• We make our butler sleep in the garage with all our silver.  Maybe we'll build a pantry from him in the next house, Alfred would appreciate it on the cold nights.
  • image TarHeels&Rebels:
    image SA7206:

I would kill for a butler's pantry.

I like to entertain a lot and I love having the extra storage and prep space.

This!  I'd die for one and WILL have one when we build our forever home.  It's non-negotiable.

They're very popular in new homes in the south (not a shocker lol). My closet under the stairs is currently filled to the brim with serving pieces, china and table linens.  It'd be so much neater if I had a butler's pantry!

Really, they're an entertainer's dream, so if you don't host, I'd skip it.

I'm in the south! :)  Hmm... I'll keep thinking about it. We've never been big on entertaining BUT we've only lived in our small townhouse where theres no room to entertain really but I'd love to if we get more space.

• It really depends on how it is worked into the scheme of things. I have one and I hate it. I want to tear it down and put in an island. But that is basically because it is positioned in a weird spot and the old-fashioned dimensions don't really align themselves with modern shelving. 

If it were nicely tucked away and didn't remove counterspace I'd be all for it.

imageimage Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Good luck to all my BFF TTGP Chatty Ladies!

• I'd love to have a butler's pantry.  You can store all your big serving pieces, extra sets of dishes, table linens, etc in there. 
    Crafts for Lily
    My Valentine Bookends (2~13~13, 2~15~09)
  • i agree that extra storage is a bonus, but it is to assist in the flow during entertaining, as well, i believe.

"A friend loves at all times..." Pr. 17:17 MY GOOGLEPAGES BIO image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • image mikekatrina:
    We make our butler sleep in the garage with all our silver.  Maybe we'll build a pantry from him in the next house, Alfred would appreciate it on the cold nights.

I mustn't let Barnes see this, he'll be so jealous.

• A pantry is where you store food and dry goods.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantry

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • image ~NB~:

A pantry is where you store food and dry goods.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantry

A bulter's pantry is not. It's for either serving out food and drinks to guests or for cleaning up dishes. They'll be between the kitchen and the dining room where pantry is off the kitchen. Often a butler's pantry will have a wine fridge, a small sink, sometimes a dishwasher.

• We have one and our house was built in 2008. I love it!

Its a go between our kitchen and dining room. It has cabinetry we store our china in on the top, the counter space serves as a bar area and the cabinets beneath are storage and we also have a wine fridge built in. 

This is very popular in many new houses, I would definitely add it

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I would LOVE to have a Butler's pantry.  I would skip the sink though, in favor of more straight counter space.  I would store vases, table linens and larger serving dishes in there as well as weird randoms like our ice bucket.  I'm a traditionalist and would opt for a BP that looked like this (no sink, or d/w):