Oklahoma Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Dog question

Our dog has horrible breath! It's not your normal dog breath this is so bad she could be standing a couple of feet away from you and it knocks you off your feet. We've tried everything. We take her to her vet to get a monthly teeth cleaning. He has even suggested putting alittle bit of this dog moutwash in some water. It helps for maybe a minute. I feel awful when people come over because she loves seeing other people but I know her breath reeks.

Dh thinks she might be eating her poop, but she's 4 years old. I thought that was just a puppy thing. Can dogs have halitosis like humans have? If so I think my dog is suffering from this. Any suggestions?

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Anniversary

Re: Dog question

• Is she on a high quality dog food?

Also, I would probably get a second opinion from a different vet. Other than that, I have no clue. 

I'm sorry for your poor pup Sad

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm curious as to what the vet is doing for a monthly teeth cleaning.  A typical teeth cleaning from a vet would be putting them under anesthesia and actually scaling any plaque build-up off of their teeth.  Usually this is where the bad smell is coming from.

Are they just brushing her teeth once a month?  Can you tell if there is build-up on her teeth (they would be brown in color)?

• image ostatekris05:

I'm curious as to what the vet is doing for a monthly teeth cleaning.  A typical teeth cleaning from a vet would be putting them under anesthesia and actually scaling any plaque build-up off of their teeth.  Usually this is where the bad smell is coming from.

Are they just brushing her teeth once a month?  Can you tell if there is build-up on her teeth (they would be brown in color)?

No it's not an intense cleaning like that. I think they just brush her teeth. I've been thinking about brushing them myself so I can do it more often but I don't know how she would react.

Her teeth look healthy. She chews on rawhides during the day so that also helps remove some of the plaque.

I was doing some research this afternoon and an article said food such as table scraps can contribute to it. I know DH gives her table scraps so we will be stopping that.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Anniversary
  • I'd start brushing her teeth myself at least a few times/week. We brush Chomper's teeth about 3 times/week. He's not a huge fan, so sometimes I only get to do a 1/4 of his mouth at a time, but he LOVES the treats afterword.

Also, she may still be eating her poop. If she's not already on a very high quality dog food, you should consider switching. Chompers tried the poop thing as a puppy when we first brought him home, we put him on a premium food, and he never did it again. Apparently, some dogs eat poop to try to recapture some of the nutrients that they're not getting enough of in their diets.