Oklahoma Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Hosting a party... Help needed!!!

Ok girls...

My best friend from college is getting married in April.  I am her MOH and the bachelorette party is the weekend before the wedding.  She was in charge of throwing my bach. party and it was amazing, so this party needs to be flippin' awesome.

I need your honest opinion on a few things, but here are the details:

We are doing the lingerie shower/cocktail party in a meeting room at a hotel walking distance from Paradox in Broken Arrow.  The bride isn't a club-hopping type of girl... she would much rather stay at one place and get "settled in."  

She only had 4 bridesmaids including myself to begin with, but now one girl isn't coming to the party... so costs are being split by 3 of us and DH is kind of freaking out about the budget.

My questions are:

1. Would you rather have champagne and bar snacks (chips and salsa, pretzels, cheese and crackers) at the shower and go to paradox for dinner (ie pay for your own dinner- entrees average around $8) OR have drinks, bar snacks, and more substantial finger foods (veggie and fruit trays, deli rollups, shrimp pasta, etc) and skip dinner out- just head to the bar for dancing later in the evening???

2. At this point, I'm not asking the party guests to pitch in any money (there will be 16-20 of us)... But as a bridesmaid, how much would you be willing to pay?  We all are paying $150 for our dresses, and our own shower gifts, plus a wedding gift the next weekend....  Would it be poor taste to ask the guests to pitch in 10 bucks or something if we don't end up going out for dinner?

Help, suggestions, comments..... Please!

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength. The second is this: Love your neighbor as yourself. There is no greater commandment than these." - Mark 12:30-31 studiowestway.com facebook.com/studiowestway

Re: Hosting a party... Help needed!!!

• You know, some people get their panties in a wad about ONLY the bridesmaids paying for everything but I guess my friends and I are just way tacky because normally everyone (guests and wedding party) pitches in.  I would never go to a bachelorette party and expect that I have a free ride all night long!  I do not think it is unreasonble to request that the guests pay for their own food at dinner - as far as the champagne and stuff - I think you and the other bridesmaids can split that and it be pretty inexpensive - but would be shocked if other guests didn't ask to chip in booze as well (suggest that they bring cheap champagne and then all you have to contribute is the finger foods).

• I wouldn't bat an eye at having to pay (as a non-bridesmaid) for my portion of the party. Any bachelorette party I have been to, all the guests paid for themselves and pitched in to cover the bride's expenses.
  • As a side note, JL, the guests at my bachelorette party all chipped in $75 each - originally it was $20 but there was some sort of (friendly) riot about getting some limos and such - I had around 20 girls attend.  From what I was told, no one batted an eye at the cost and I think it helped that the girls were included in the planning of the party.
  • IMO, save yourself some trouble and have everyone go out to dinner. You won't have to worry about making sure everyone gets enough food or cleaning up and it will be cheaper on you. No one should complain about buying their own dinner.
  • image lynnawinks:
    IMO, save yourself some trouble and have everyone go out to dinner. You won't have to worry about making sure everyone gets enough food or cleaning up and it will be cheaper on you. No one should complain about buying their own dinner.
    Agreed!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • image lynnawinks:
    IMO, save yourself some trouble and have everyone go out to dinner. You won't have to worry about making sure everyone gets enough food or cleaning up and it will be cheaper on you. No one should complain about buying their own dinner.

This. It also makes it so that anyone who really can't afford to spend money can gracefully bow out of a part of the festivities but not all of them.

• image amanjay:

image lynnawinks:

This. It also makes it so that anyone who really can't afford to spend money can gracefully bow out of a part of the festivities but not all of them.

Fourthed. ;) You never know what people's situations are, and that way they can have some control over the amount of money they spend rather than having an amount "assigned" to them.  

• Thanks for the suggestions ladies!

I think I've decided to just serve chips and salsa, cheese and crackers, and pretzels, along with chocolate covered strawberries and cake balls.  :)  Oh, champagne and jello shots too!  haha

The party is at 6, I figure people can nosh on those things, and we'll do dinner around 8:30.  Right now each bridesmaid is hovering around $75 a piece for the shower... I think that's pretty reasonable.  :)

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength. The second is this: Love your neighbor as yourself. There is no greater commandment than these." - Mark 12:30-31 studiowestway.com facebook.com/studiowestway
  • image lynnawinks:
    Yes