Money Matters
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

engineers are the most loyal spouses

my friend just e-mailed me this, need to find the link. Makes sense to me, married to an engineer.  But I think the lack of fashion sense also helps in this department. Wink

The research stated that they are the least likely profession (men and women) to be unfaithful. 

Thoughts? 

Re: engineers are the most loyal spouses

• Duh. lol

I don't think this should be surprise to anyone. :)

Don't worry, I'm working on it.
    Get it on!
  • Well then I'm glad I married an engineer!  haha
  • I _really_ want that link.  It'd be too funny to read.

(engineer, signing in...)

[IMG]http://i52.tinypic.com/9ir889.jpg[/IMG]
  • I was living with/engaged to an engineer in my mid-20s. He cheated on me and left me for her.  He met her at a engineering conference.

I was not one of the one saying anything about red flags in the engineer conference gala post earlier, but that story did run through my head.

But, I am an engineer and I've never cheated.  And, thinking of the folks I work with, very few divorces.  The only one I can think of offhand is an engineer whose with went all Eat, Pray, Love on him and left.

These are a few of my favorite things

[IMG]http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e91/rubytue/crafty/sedona.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e91/rubytue/crafty/ruby2-1.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e91/rubytue/crafty/boats.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e91/rubytue/fuglykeen.gif[/IMG]
  • DH works at a company with 50 chemical engineers--no divorces!  They are ages 22-60.
  • LOL, DH is an engineer.  Would love the link.

TBH, engineers are more practical than the average bear.  I can see them being more likely to think 10 plays ahead and see that starting XYZ situation is ultimately the wrong decision.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    DS1 born June 2008 | m/c at 9w March 2011 | DS2 born April 2012
  • Because they are the dorkiest. lol. (just kidding, I know a lot of engineers and they are awesome)

My favorite engineer joke goes something like "Q: Why do engineers like having a wife *and* a mistress?  A: Because each will think you're with the other and then you can go to the office and get some work done."

Quincy and Dexter, new BFFs

I used to be kris216.
  • I <3 my engineer!

The goods are odd, but the odds are good.

• Now I'm trying to find her research and I can't!  But I'm finding lots of anecdotal stuff.  Found this on babycenter.com.  Such a good read. 

My husband is (and always has been) a geek.

I?m not sure he would own up to it, but the signs are there:

1. He was in the jazz band in high school (note: this does not necessarily make you a geek, but the fact that he still brags about his status as First Chair Saxophone does)

2. He still wears the same jeans he wore as First Chair Saxophone.

3. He is a chemical engineer. As such, he gets excited when he sees a power plant and has to get closer so he can describe it to us.

4. He has the exact same haircut as when he was First Chair Saxophone in high school.

I knew all of these things before I married him. But they just reinforced a theory I have always had?geeks make the best husbands (and fathers). Perhaps it?s because they?ve never had their heads (or egos) inflated. Perhaps it?s because they know what it?s like when people are not kind. Or perhaps they?re just pre-wired with good hearts?for whatever reason, they seem to be some of the most caring, nurturing (and smart to boot) spouses I know.

Earlier this week I went on a field trip with my 3-year-old and met one of her classmates?a little boy named Mac. Mac is short and wiry, his hair defies any attempt at styling, and he wears thick wire-rimmed glasses. Imagine a mini McLovin. He is a honey of a boy?sweet, funny, and loves to give hugs. As I sat with him on my lap that day it took every ounce of restraint I had not to tell him, ?Mac?it might be a rough road for you for awhile. Kids can be mean. Teenagers can be even meaner. But don?t worry?you are going to have an amazing wife and beautiful children one day. And you will be smart and accomplished and will probably really make a difference in the world. And you will be so glad you are who you are.?

But instead I just gave him a big hug.. And then I came home and told my husband how lucky I am to have him.

• LOL we are both engineers so... good for us?
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • image wanderlustmom:

Now I'm trying to find her research and I can't!  But I'm finding lots of anecdotal stuff.  Found this on babycenter.com.  Such a good read. 

My husband is (and always has been) a geek.

I?m not sure he would own up to it, but the signs are there:

1. He was in the jazz band in high school (note: this does not necessarily make you a geek, but the fact that he still brags about his status as First Chair Saxophone does)

2. He still wears the same jeans he wore as First Chair Saxophone.

3. He is a chemical engineer. As such, he gets excited when he sees a power plant and has to get closer so he can describe it to us.

4. He has the exact same haircut as when he was First Chair Saxophone in high school.

I knew all of these things before I married him. But they just reinforced a theory I have always had?geeks make the best husbands (and fathers). Perhaps it?s because they?ve never had their heads (or egos) inflated. Perhaps it?s because they know what it?s like when people are not kind. Or perhaps they?re just pre-wired with good hearts?for whatever reason, they seem to be some of the most caring, nurturing (and smart to boot) spouses I know.

Earlier this week I went on a field trip with my 3-year-old and met one of her classmates?a little boy named Mac. Mac is short and wiry, his hair defies any attempt at styling, and he wears thick wire-rimmed glasses. Imagine a mini McLovin. He is a honey of a boy?sweet, funny, and loves to give hugs. As I sat with him on my lap that day it took every ounce of restraint I had not to tell him, ?Mac?it might be a rough road for you for awhile. Kids can be mean. Teenagers can be even meaner. But don?t worry?you are going to have an amazing wife and beautiful children one day. And you will be smart and accomplished and will probably really make a difference in the world. And you will be so glad you are who you are.?

But instead I just gave him a big hug.. And then I came home and told my husband how lucky I am to have him.

This Mac story made me tear up a little bit! Geeked

And where is the link to that article already???  I love my faithful engineer husband.  He's going to love that mistress/wife work joke!

• Why cheat when you can do this instead?

Pancakes 

• image vanillacourage:
    LOL, DH is an engineer.  Would love the link.

TBH, engineers are more practical than the average bear.  I can see them being more likely to think 10 plays ahead and see that starting XYZ situation is ultimately the wrong decision.

I would agree with this.  Also, my engineer is good at math, earns more than twice what I do, and I've explained "community property" to him :) 

I also have an engineering degree (though it's not my profession).  We both prefer drama-free, predictable lives.

• image dexteroni:

Because they are the dorkiest. lol. (just kidding, I know a lot of engineers and they are awesome)

My favorite engineer joke goes something like "Q: Why do engineers like having a wife *and* a mistress?  A: Because each will think you're with the other and then you can go to the office and get some work done."

Yes  I just read DH this joke and he loved it.

• image ring_pop:
    LOL we are both engineers so... good for us?

Us too.

DH is completely not dorky though and does not meet the traditional engineering stereotype at all.  I'm completely the engineering stereotype except more attractive than the average engineer.

• DH is an engineer. He's very loyal.
    Can I marry them all?

• image dexteroni:

mr.v loved this. :)

• image :

My DH might have convinced me to go trespassing on some farmland so he could get a closer look at some windmills.  Embarrassed

• image kirkette:

I <3 my engineer!

The goods are odd, but the odds are good.

Hahah!!!  We used to say this in college all the time. 

• My father is an electrical engineer and the thought of him cheating is lol-tastic. Not necessarily out of love (which I'm sure plays a large role ha) but I just can't see my father having a conversation with someone to get the affair rolling. If he doesn't have to talk, he won't.  Hell he leaves the door on his office open so that people know he's there, or else they have no idea.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I have only ever seriously dated engineers and computer scientists. I had a definite type.

DH is an EE and is an awesome husband. I think engineers tend to be overlooked in college.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • DH and I are both engineers.  I was a serial cheater until I met him, but can't dream of doing that now.

We've also been known to scope out power plants or other factories or random equipment going down the highway.  He's at a boiler school right now and I'm a little jealous of the field trips theyare going on.

• Got to love being married to an aerospace engineer then! Too bad he has completely ruined flying since he HAS to sit over the wing so he can watch all the mechanisms work and tells me every little detail going on!
  • sorry to disappoint, but I'm going to ask her where she read the research, all I find is anecdotal stuff.  but yes, I think it lends to the engineering personality--my DH is the same, I think he's hot, but when single his friends said he had no flirting moves. When I go to his office parties I'm amazed at how little drama there is--most his buddies are relatively angst free and steady.
  • Really depends on the persons personality anyway.  Most of DH's friends are divorced and most of the guys I work with are either having affairs or on the way to divorce. As engineers you spend less time at home, more time to stray.
  • This is good to know.  DH is going back to school in the fall for engineering.  I guess I won't have to worry about that.  Unless, of course, he cheats while in school before he has the degree. Tongue Tied

Actually, he's a very loyal person.  Maybe he was meant to be an engineer.  He already almost runs off the road while driving trying to get a closer glimpse at things. 

• My DH and I are both aerospace engineers so I want to believe its true!   But my office-mate just went through a divorce and they were both engineers, so it sours my view.  Although, I think overall the divorce rate is only maybe 10-15% among my co-workers.
  • Ha, I jokingly swore off engineers after three long term relationships - including one common-law - with them. None cheated as far as I know (though one tempted it..that is another story.) but I found some common character traits between them all that just did not work for me at all!

I think ultimately it has to do with character - I know engineers who had affairs and lawyers who didn't. I will choose character over profession - and ended up with a loyal, intelligent, funny, self aware and fantastic non-engineer.

I recall reading a few years ago that engineers were more likely to pursue kinkier sex - s&m, fetishes, etc.

• image dexteroni:

Because they are the dorkiest. lol. (just kidding, I know a lot of engineers and they are awesome)

LOL!  I will have to share this with my husband.  Also, sillygoose's comic strip is hilarious.

• image dexteroni:

This actually made me LOL, which happens rarely on the nest.  

I'm an engineer, and not a single one of my engineer friends or coworkers are divorced.

Photobucket Lilypie Second Birthday tickers