Crafts

Removing crayon wax residue from silicone baking molds...possible?

So I decided to take a stab at melting crayons into various shapes for my daughter. The outcome was great except now I have a mold that has crayon wax "baked in". So my questions are:

1. Should I just turn this mold into a craft one and refrain from using it for food ever again? Would it be safe once the crayon wax is removed to use the mold for food?

2. If the wax is able to be successfully removed and safe for food products, how do I successfully remove the wax and stains?

Thanks!

Nutmeg, cilantro, sage, mint, thyme... these are a few of my favorite things! Visit The Nest!Visit The Nest! We have four children; one left us too soon.

Re: Removing crayon wax residue from silicone baking molds...possible?

• I would just use it as a craft mold from now on.  I have melted several crayons in mine and it would be really hard to get it clean enough to where I was close to comfortable with making food in it again.  One thing that does help is to spray it with Pam before putting the crayons in.  It really cuts down on the residue.
    Crafts for Lily
    My Valentine Bookends (2~13~13, 2~15~09)
  • I have no clue about removing the residue, but thanks for the heads up! lol

Follow Me on Pinterest
    Lily loves her new little sister!
    Lily Sue 8.17.2009
    Forever loved and missed...Dot 6.14.10, Little Bit 8.20.10, Speck 3.16.11
    Adair Leigh 3.27.12
  • have you tried freezing it then scrubbing of the residue with a dry sponge?
    I realize what life is all about
    It's hangin' on when your heart has had enough
    It's giving more when you feel like giving up
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
  • I made some in silicone molds at Christmas. I tried soaking and scrubbing and it didn't work to remove the staining. Although I am sure they are clean enough to eat out of they are stained and I wouldn't use them for food. 

I have not used the hard plastic ones so I am not sure if they clean up easier.  

• Thank you all.

I figured it probably wouldn't be a good idea for food use after.

Nutmeg, cilantro, sage, mint, thyme... these are a few of my favorite things! Visit The Nest!Visit The Nest! We have four children; one left us too soon.
  • I haven't used silicone molds for crayons before, but the plastic ones work great! Bad picture, but this mold was for dinosaur suckers. I just tried not to fill it up enough to where the melted crayon went down the stick part of the mold. DH even helped out, note the whole stick part filled upStick out tongue They turned out great and the mold was spotless after i popped the crayons out. image