Des Moines Nesties

What to do with dry chicken???

I am awful at cooking chicken, because I always overcook it!!!  I always worry that I am not cooking it enough, so it ends up dry.  Last night, I cubed 3 chicken breasts and cooked in about 2 T of oil.  It is very dry.  I only used about 1/5 of it, so I am wondering what to do with the other part.  Is there a way to reconstitute chicken to make it juicy again?  Or should I just put it in some type of cream sauce and pray for the best?
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: What to do with dry chicken???

• I would use it in a soup, chicken pot pie or creamy chicken & noodles over mashed potatoes. You might be able to use it in chicken enchiladas too.

Have you ever tried steaming your chicken breasts? That's how I cook them & they're never dry. Put the chicken in a skillet & add enough water to cover the bottom of the pan. Cover & cook on medium heat, then drain the water. Make sure to stir occasionally while cooking, you may want to only cover 90% with the lid so the pan doesn't boil over. (This method works for diced chicken too)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would probably put it in the crockpot on low - add some BBQ Sauce, Worchestshire Sauce and a little brown sugar and make Pulled Chicken Sandwiches.

If it helps - I used to have the same problem.  Now, I only cook chicken in my crock pot and it helps me not to over cook it.

Good Luck!

www.babiesandbroccoli.blogspot.com
  • Grill it! Smile do you have a George Foreman? We use ours a lot.

Or the crockpot, try to add some chicken broth to the pan too.

I was once given a half raw chicken sandwich at a resturant, and will NOT eat chicken out! EW! SO I totally understand your paranoia!

• I don't think you can revive dry chicken. I'd use it in a casserole or soup though without thinking twice. It may still be a little dry, but it's better than wasting it.
  • Humm....Chicken Lasagna, Penna Pasta Bake (boil noodles, put in casserole pan, put chicken in cover in sauce and cheese and bake til cheese is to your liking)
  • Sadly, I don't think there is really anyway to breath new life into an overdone chicken.  But I agree you could try using it a soup or sauce.  What about chicken salad for sandwiches?  I have a yummy recipe for chicken salad :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Married 10.11.08
    Baby LJ 05.21.10
    TheRookieChef.com
  • image Molly Jean:
    Sadly, I don't think there is really anyway to breath new life into an overdone chicken.  But I agree you could try using it a soup or sauce.  What about chicken salad for sandwiches?  I have a yummy recipe for chicken salad :)

She's being modest - she has the best recipe for Chicken Salad!

www.babiesandbroccoli.blogspot.com
  • Simmer/cook it in water and taco seasoning, that's what I do with chicken that got a bit dried out in the crockpot. The chicken will absorb the water as it simmers
    ?image Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Thanks ladies!!!  I am going to try a few of these.. I have a LOT of chicken!!!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Depending on what you want to do with your future uncooked chicken, I have this tip:  I buy a lot of chicken breasts when they're on sale.  I like to make dishes that call for a set amount of cooked, cubed/shredded chicken.  So after I buy the chicken, I plunk large quantities (3+ lbs at a time) in my crockpot with a bit of chicken broth until they're cook.  Then you remove any bones (breasts + rib meat type), and shred or dice.  Then I freeze in 1 or 2 cup amounts in freezer bags.  Voila.  Never dry, always ready for me.  Way easier to take the time to do it once, then realize after work you want to make something, but only have a package of frozen chicken boobs in 3 lb hunks.  No fun.  :( 

But for now, I'd say a crock pot dish of some sort, or a soup could quite possible save your dry chicken.  :)  Good luck!

<><><><><><><><><><><>

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimageimageimageimage