Fashion & Beauty

Best counter to have makeup done at?

I'm going to a black-tie event tomorrow night.  I don't care that much about how I look because I'm going alone (my company is winning an award) but I am getting all dressed up nonetheless and thought maybe I should get my makeup done.

There is a Macy's and Nordstrom in walking distance from my hotel.  Which make up counter is best to have makeup done at?  Is it free (I would be willing to buy something)?  There's also a MAC standalone store but I think they charge?

Thanks!

Photo by Melissa Glynn
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Best counter to have makeup done at?

• I think it's probably hit or miss depending on which employee is at a given counter on any particular day.  That being said, I just had a makeover at the Benefit counter of my local Macy's and LOVED it.
  • image cnstarz:
    I think it's probably hit or miss depending on which employee is at a given counter on any particular day.  That being said, I just had a makeover at the Benefit counter of my local Macy's and LOVED it.

Was it free? If so, did you purchase any products?

I also want to get my makeup done for an event, but I do not know what the etiquette is for this (how much to spend on products, etc.)  

• Bobbi Brown for sure.

I think MAC has a minimum charge in makeup you need to purchase. 

That being said, I wouldn't go to a makeup counter to get it done unless I was planning on buying some products too. It seems tacky not to.

• Chanel is always my go-to for this type of thing. Make sure you make an appointment. Yes, it's free, but I typically end up buying several things...eye shadow, lipstick...ect. I think they expect you to buy something, even though it's not required.

• When I got my makeup done at MAC, I had to buy $50 of products.

The makeover at Benefit was free, although I did end up buying some products.  I told the woman that I had never done anything to my eyebrows before and she shaped them for me for free.  (I was so surprised!)  

Here's a pic.  I'm no supermodel and my lip color had worn off by the time it was taken, but you get the idea:

• I've had the Dior counter at Macy's do my makeup a few times and loved it.  It was free but I bought Dior products each time.  I only ask makeup artists whose makeup look I admire to do my makeup.  I stay away from ladies who look like The Joker.
  • Like PP said, it depends on the makeup artist. However, I've had the best experiences with Lancome and Clinique.
  • Oh, and regarding the etiquette, you are expected to buy something if there is not a fee for the makeover. I worked part time at Clinique (okay, I guess I'm biased) and it was annoying when I'd spend 30 mins doing the makeover and not make a sale.
  • image cnstarz:

When I got my makeup done at MAC, I had to buy $50 of products.

The makeover at Benefit was free, although I did end up buying some products.  I told the woman that I had never done anything to my eyebrows before and she shaped them for me for free.  (I was so surprised!)  

Here's a pic.  I'm no supermodel and my lip color had worn off by the time it was taken, but you get the idea:

Unrelated, but what hair products do you use? lol

• image cnstarz:

When I got my makeup done at MAC, I had to buy $50 of products.

Not makeup related at all, what breed is your dog??

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I use Regis Design Line thickening cream and curl lock cream.  (1 squirt of each)  I then use one pump of any drug store mousse and diffuse it.  It's usually a little curlier than that picture- I had slept on it.

I recently switched to Biolage shampoo and conditioner from Pantene and have noticed a big difference in softness and product buildup.  I think I'm using the smoothing line.

• image soontobeahigh:

Not makeup related at all, what breed is your dog??

We got our little guy from the pound, so we're not exactly sure what he is.  They were pretty confident he was some sort of fox or rat terrier mix, but he's got much longer legs than a purebred terrier.  (The better to jump over fences with, my dear.  Hmm)

• Honestly, it so depends on the artist at the counter.  I have had great make-up done at Chanel, Lancome, Estee Lauder and Clinique. And I had a Mac make-up artist for my wedding (she freelanced).

As for the charge, I have found that also depends on the counter and the time of year. The counters at one mall I frequent have told me they have a 2 product purchase minimum. The same counters at another mall and several freestanding department stores in my area do not have a minimum, but I always buy at least a lipstick (usually more depending on how much I like the make-up). Do you buy foundation or skin care from any particular counter? I often will wait and buy my moisturizer and foundation (which I would buy anyway) when I get my make-up done, which I hope will up the artist's commission and make my make-up application worth his/her while.

• MAC is the only counter I will get my makeup done at.

I had an okay experience with Bobbi Brown but it was way too natural for me.

The other counters really don't have makeup "artists" the way MAC does. My mom worked for Estee Lauder for years and it always cracked me up that she had to do makeovers on people, they are not trained makeup artists.