Politics & Current Events
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email help@theknot.com.

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

What do you get your parents for their 30th anniversary?

Re: What do you get your parents for their 30th anniversary?

• I was broke and in either college or my first year of law school so I think I sent them flowers.
  • Not sure yet.  My parents have their 30th this year, we're sending DH's to Vegas for their 50th this year.  I feel like we need to do something decent, I'm just not sure what.
  • They just had their 20th.  I gave them a phonecall.  They were happy with that.
  • I want to get them something nice but not expensive sense we are TTC and need to save.
  • What about a good bottle of wine or champagne?  Make up a fancy snack basket to go with it.
  • I have to have something that I can send in the mail sense they live a few hours away.
  • Depends on how much money you want to spend, but for special anniversaries, we've been going with experience type gifts like a gift card to a really good restaurant or even a weekend away. A couple's massage would also be nice if they like massages.
  • You can usually send wine through the mail, especially if you're in the same state.  I know it's not a very original gift, but I don't think of my parents' anniversary as a place for originality, just for a very nice thought.

Costco has some good gift baskets.  I think you can even have lobster sent.

• my sisters and I chipped in and sent them to Europe
    shadowboxerkd: "Old people are expensive and smell like mothballs."
  • my siblings and I planned a surprise party with family and friends there. I came in from out of state. We also got them an anniversary clock. We also got family and friends to send pictures from over the years and made a slide show to Beatles music. They enjoyed al of it. If you cant/dont want to do a party, I would recommend the clock, it was really nice and we had it engraved for them.

image Military Newlyweds FAQ Button
    I changed my name
  • I was in high school when my parents celebrated theirs so I don't really remember what I got them. Probably a card.

Pearl is the traditional gift for the 30th, but you could always gift something inlaid with pearl/mother of pearl.

• I was a senior in high school, so I don't remember. I was always good at this stuff, so definitely a present and card. Probably something small, though.

This year is my parents' 40th. I want to see about throwing them a small party at my grandmother's house. 

• It was the year we got married so we had them have a special dance at our wedding, and gave them a special anniversary cake, also at the wedding.  My mom INSISTED we recognize their anniversary at our wedding, so I still have bad feelings about it since it was forced.

I am a runner, knitter, scientist, DE-IVF veteran, and stage III colon cancer survivor.
  • image redcabbage:
    my sisters and I chipped in and sent them to Europe
    I would love to send them to Canada but, I can't spend that much money because we are TTC. My brother and his wife are in the same place because they have a three month old and only one pay check.
  • A gift certificate to a sitting with a professional photographer.