What's Cooking?

Leftover ganache... can it be stored and reused? Experiences?

This will be my first time making and handling ganache. But I'm curious, if I have a lot leftover, can I store it to be reused later?

If so, do I refrigerate it? Or freeze it? And how long will it keep for? 

Once I'm ready to reuse, do I simply microwave it or what?

Nutmeg, cilantro, sage, mint, thyme... these are a few of my favorite things! Visit The Nest!Visit The Nest! We have four children; one left us too soon.

Re: Leftover ganache... can it be stored and reused? Experiences?

• I've seen posts use refrigerated ganache for truffles

• Refrigerate if it's for a week or so, freeze it if it's longer, reheat over a double boiler or stirring constantly (but slowly) over very low heat.
  • well, yes, eating it is the best way to get rid of it!  And yes you can refrigerate it.  I just let it get to room temp : )
  • This might sound dumb, but....just don't make a ton more than you need.  If you should happen to find yourself with a lot unexpectedly, you can definitely keep it for a while.  I've kept it in the fridge for several days, covered in an airtight container, and it was just fine.  And it should freeze well too.  If you're going to freeze it, you might want to portion it into smaller containers so you don't have to keep thawing and refreezing the whole thing.

You can definitely use it to make truffles; if you want to try it, it's probably best to add more chocolate so it's a thicker ganache.  Then you just add syrup or extracts for flavoring, roll it into balls, and roll it in cocoa or chopped nuts.  It's super easy and they are so delicious.

Quincy and Dexter, new BFFs

I used to be kris216.