Money Matters

Poll: Do you have to pay taxes on groceries?

1. What state/province are you in?

2. Do you have to pay taxes on groceries (not the non-food items--things like apples and chicken.)

Re: Poll: Do you have to pay taxes on groceries?

• image amanjay:

1. What state/province are you in? Oklahoma

2. Do you have to pay taxes on groceries (not the non-food items--things like apples and chicken.) Yes. 7.75% in my city.

• Rhode island

no tax on groceries

I have also lived in Mass, Maine, New Jersey & New Hampshire and none of them had grocery sales tax. 

imageCurly Tail Pug Rescue
  • 1. NC

2. Yes, we have  a 2% food tax.

~*Jenna*~

TTC since November 2009.

Currently licensed foster parents with the hope of adopting!

Currently loving our first placement:

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • 1. What state/province are you in?   Texas

2. Do you have to pay taxes on groceries (not the non-food items--things like apples and chicken.)  No

Photobucket
  • Louisiana.

We don't have a state tax for groceries; however, there are local taxes on groceries, set by each parish (county). I think it's 4.5% in my parish.

Tax on non-food purchases is around 9%, depending on parish. 

• image amamba:

Rhode island

no tax on groceries

I have also lived in Mass, Maine, New Jersey & New Hampshire and none of them had grocery sales tax. 

The state doesn't tax groceries, but cities can tax certain things.  If I buy certain items (like soda) in East Providence, it will be taxed a local tax.

• image *wicket*:
    image amamba:

Rhode island

no tax on groceries

The state doesn't tax groceries, but cities can tax certain things.  If I buy certain items (like soda) in East Providence, it will be taxed a local tax.

New Jersey has sales tax on soda, too.

I didn't know that east providence had that.Is it just soda? 

imageCurly Tail Pug Rescue
  • MO

Yes, we pay

image Alcoholism is not determined by how much you drink or how often, but by negative consequences in your life that do not alter your drinking habits.
  • I'm in WV.  We are taxed on food, but it's at lower rate than other sales (3% instead of our typical 6% sales tax).  I'm not a fan.  This is the fourth state I've lived in and the first where I had to pay tax on groceries.

ETA: Here's an article with a map of which states charge, give partial discounts or have no tax on groceries.  Most don't tax groceries. http://www.cbpp.org/cms/index.cfm?fa=view&id=1230 

• Ohio.  No to food only.  Beverages and everything else are taxed at the local rate. 

This is how it works for restaurants as well as long as you are getting it to go.  Eat in and everything is taxed.

• TX, no
    Have you seen my monkey?
  • MD - no.

In the past I've lived in TN and VA, which do tax groceries.  Back in the mid-90s VA decided to stop taxing tampons.  I remember it being a big deal b/c condoms weren't taxed by tampons were, and people thought they should keep taxing tampons.  Nice.

These are a few of my favorite things

imageimageimageimage
  • In Indiana, most groceries aren't taxed the last I checked, but honestly, I don't review my receipt often.

I think meat and produce are tax free, but snacks and pop are taxed. Dining out, whether take out or eat in is taxed at an even higher rate. I think taxes are typically 7%, but eating out is subject to a restaurant and hotel tax, which is 1 or 2% to pay for things like new football stadiums and other local tourist attractions.

• Kentucky

No, not on food items. But yes to other non-food items.

• CA

On packaged items yes, on some produce items no. 

• Delaware

No sales tax food or otherwise. 

my read shelf:
    B's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • image kirkette:

CA

It's not all packaged food. Actually, most food, even packaged isn't taxed. Of my receipt from last night which includes chips, crackers, and protein shakes, only a bottle of wine was taxed. Also, our Costco trips are almost all packaged food and we usually don't pay any sales tax. Really, unless it's cooked, we don't pay tax on any food. Maybe it's different by city? 

my read shelf:
    Jacinda Dietz's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) ExerciseMilestone
  • image JennaNAaron:

1. NC

2. Yes, we have  a 2% food tax.

NC too. I only recently moved here and don't have it quite figured out. It doesn't seem to be 2% on everything though, more the luxury things like soda and prepared foods, etc. It end sup not being very much at all.

• image jadatrack:
    image kirkette:

CA

It's not all packaged food. Actually, most food, even packaged isn't taxed. Of my receipt from last night which includes chips, crackers, and protein shakes, only a bottle of wine was taxed. Also, our Costco trips are almost all packaged food and we usually don't pay any sales tax. Really, unless it's cooked, we don't pay tax on any food. Maybe it's different by city? 

Oops you're right, I was trying to go off memory. Alcohol is the only thing taxed on our last two receipts.  

• image amamba:

Rhode island

no tax on groceries

That's not totally true about Maine.  We pay 5% sales tax on "junk" foods -- chips, soda, candy bars, etc.  Things like chicken and apples are tax free.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • TN

Yes- in my county overall sales tax is around 9.25% and tax on all food is around 7%. That actually changed not too long ago. It used to be 9.25% (can vary ~1% depending on county) across the board.

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does." ~William James My Blog
  • ON

no sales tax on good food from the grocery store. I think there is tax on pop and chips and other junk.

• Iowa

5% state plus 1% local on some grocery items: 

• candy, candy-coated items, and candy products include preparations normally considered to be candy
    • fruits, nuts, or other ingredients in combination with sugar, chocolate, honey, or other natural or artificial sweeteners in the form of bars, drops, or pieces
    • chewing gum
    • unsweetened or sweetened baking chocolate in bars, pieces, or chips
    • caramel wraps
    • sweetened coconut
    • hard or soft candies including jelly beans, taffy, licorice, and mints
    • dried fruit leathers or other similar products prepared with natural or artificial sweeteners
    • cotton candy
    • candy breath mints
    • mixes of candy pieces, dried fruits, nuts, and similar items when candy is more than an incidental ingredient in the product
    • candy primarily intended for decorating baked goods
    • carbonated and noncarbonated soft drinks, including but not limited to colas, ginger ale, near-beer, root beer, lemonade, orangeade
    • all other drinks or punches with natural fruit or vegetable juice which contain 50 percent or less by volume natural fruit or vegetable juice; a typical example is Hi-C
    • beverage mixes and ingredients intended to be made into taxable beverages; liquid or frozen, concentrated or non-concentrated, dehydrated, powdered, granulated, sweetened or unsweetened, seasoned or unseasoned
    • concentrates intended to be made into beverages which contain 50% or less by volume natural fruit or vegetable juice
    • all alcoholic beverages
    • sweetened naturally or artificially sweetened water
    • prepared and catered foods

• Ca- No as long as it is unprepared. Once heat is added, so is tax.
  • 1. Oregon

2. Nope, we don't have any sales tax here