Travel

Is it weird to go on a cruise by yourself?

When you are not single?

My 25th birthday is at the end of the month and I really want to take a 3-5 day cruise to the Caribbean. Dh is in the Army and it would be impossible for him to take time off and I don't think any of my friends would be able to up and go on such short notice like I can. I have been considering it and I think I would really enjoy taking a short tropical cruise solo right now. Swimming, working on my tan, getting some rest, not having to worry about anything or anyone. I was disappointed to learn it's not as cost effective to cruise alone but I think I can still afford it.

The only thing that is stopping me is I'm not sure if it's weird to take a cruise by myself when I'm not single. Is that something married people do? Would you get lonely/awkward being around families and couples? Is it ridiculous to go for the price? WDYT?

Re: Is it weird to go on a cruise by yourself?

• I would probably prefer just to go to a destination by myself rather than a cruise.

Cruises are full of couples and you really can't eat totally by yourself unless you do buffets 100% of the time.

If you are super confident, go for it, but I would feel weird.

• i think that a cruise would be a great solo trip! you'd share a table at dinner with others (the part of solo travel that i never liked was dining alone) and you can do whatever you'd like. if you go on excursions you'd be with others or you can always just go to a beach solo for some R&R with a good book.

also you can visit the cruisecritic.com roll call boards and chat with people who'll be on the cruise before you depart.

Friday, December 28 2012. The day I had emergency appendix surgery in Mexico and quit smoking. Proof that everything has a good side!! DH and I are happily child-free!! No due date or toddler tickers here!! my read shelf:
    Alison's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) 
  • A friend of mine gets a lot of free cruises through work (she does cruise reviews). She ultimately had to go on one alone as her DH couldn't go nor could any of her friends.

She said she still had a pretty good time and met other people... but it was a little lonely too. I think it depends how much you like alone time... i know i couldn't do it!

• image alithebride:

i think that a cruise would be a great solo trip! you'd share a table at dinner with others (the part of solo travel that i never liked was dining alone) and you can do whatever you'd like. if you go on excursions you'd be with others or you can always just go to a beach solo for some R&R with a good book.

also you can visit the cruisecritic.com roll call boards and chat with people who'll be on the cruise before you depart.

Totally agree! I would definitely do it.

• I think it *could* be fun...but only if you got an amazing deal. If you're on the fence about being able to afford it, I might suggest checking what other sort of last-minute deals you could find on the internet that would work better.
  • The only thing that matters is how YOU would feel.  If you want to take a cruise, go take a cruise.  I'm all for solo traveling (I've done it in 3 continents).  I'm not a fan of cruises myself, but if I were, I'd definitely go.
  • I've thought about it and think I would enjoy it.  
  • I've cruised alone and had a good time. It's what you make it!

Some cruiselines are more singles friendly than others. I believe Norwegian and Royal Caribbean only charges singles 150% while Carnival will charge you 200%. But be sure to call and check this before you make your decision!  I just know a lot of Carnival singles are going elsewhere now because they raised the rate.  So while one cruise may be cheaper for 2 people, it may be more affordable for you to go with a cruise that has a higher rate but will offer a single 150% which would make it cheaper.

• I think I'd rather go to a single destination by myself, where you can do things more on your own schedule.  I'd probably do a beach resort somewhere where , or a location where I would be interested in doing sightseeing-type things by myself.
  • No, not weird at all, I'd go in a heartbeat...but only if I had a balcony cabin, LOL!  I can totally be alone and not have a problem with it, I enjoy solace.  I'd relax on my balcony with a good book, or lay out by the pool.  I'd work out in the fitness area and go for spa treatments.  For meals, I'd do room service and eat out on my balcony with a glass of wine, or two, or three, lol.  I'd also go enjoy some of the nightly entertainment like comedy shows, etc. 

Although I don't mind being alone, it would be cool to meet some people to hang with and go ashore with.  Like pp said, check out cruisecritic.com and see if you can "meet" some people prior to the cruise.

Just celebrated 6 blessed wedded years! 9.24.06
    image image Follow Me on Pinterest
  • If a cruise is what you want to do go for it!  I have done destinations in the US and Europe by myself and had a great time.
  • FYI- The new Norwegian Epic has "studio" rooms that are solely for single travellers (in other words, no increase in price for these rooms).  And the passengers in these cabins have their own lounge to meet other solo travellers.  You may want to look into it.

If you think you'll enjoy yourself I'd totally do it.